Words befuddle me at times

It's not as bad as it was when I joined here 10 years ago, but I still get caught by them at times. Such as when @JudyEv posted about her 'Caravan'. Here in the GREAT United States of America (too much Trump in my diet lately) this is a camper. A 'caravan' brings forth the image of a line of camels and their attendant riders crossing a desert. And even then, I was not sure at first if a 'Caravan' was an RV (recreational vehicle/motor home) or a camper. But thanks to The Wonders Of The Internetâ„¢ I did finally figure out what it was. But it's been fun, meeting people from all over, and then trying to decipher what they are actually saying in Americanese (which is kind of like English but not how the English use it if you catch my drift.) And then at times I find myself using a phrase that every American understands perfectly what I said, but I have to explain it to others because it appears to be an Americanism (something said mostly in America). Sometimes, the words can be similar...like 'bonnet' and 'hood' for parts of a car...different terms, which both can apply to something worn on the head, and mean the same thing when talking about cars, although when referencing headgear, they are two different things. But then you have 'boot' and 'trunk'. A 'boot sale' makes me think a particular type of footwear is being sold, whereas a 'trunk sale' may make me think of large pieces used for shipping/storing things. But they are the same thing for cars. It's no wonder we misunderstand each other here at times.
@mysdianait (64058)
With my sister living in Ohio, I have often heard her telling me about the different uses for the same word comepare to 'over here'. For example here we use a trolley at the supermarket while going round and picking up the things we need to buy. I don't remember what you use there and I'm sure you will tell me
A shopping cart. Trolleys are big things for carrying people.
@mysdianait (64058)
@JolietJake Like a wheelchair? What do you use a buggy for?
@mysdianait A wheelchair is for a person (singular). A buggy may be for a baby, or it may be drawn by a horse and hold multiple people, or it may be the person needs an exterminator to get rid of the bugs.
We come from all walks of life and countries in the world. I can certainly see where there are some misunderstandings here at times. I do hope that most are coming from positive places and not trying to be rude or mean on purpose. English is a great language and very interesting since some words come from other countries.
I used to have a bit of fun with p1kef1sh and some of the other British users describing to each other what some sentences sounded like...
@JolietJake .......I remember him. Entertaining chap.
plus no tone or body language to help us catch things like scarcasm, er I meant sarcasm. hehehe
Snarkasmâ„¢
@JolietJake that too lol!
@lealuvy2j (1989)
English can be quite confusing since many words can be used as a noun, verb or adjective. For example a simple word like "store", its meaning would be highly dependent on how you would use it.
I store things at the store.
My husband grew up here (Canada) but his first language at home was not English. He argues with me about the use of some words that can be nouns as well as verbs, though he has spoken English for more than 60 years!
I nearly always put bus/motor home now for our bus. I forget not everyone reads my EVERY post. :) In much of Europe our motor-home was a 'camper car'. A camper here is more likely to be a trailer with canvas pop-ups/fold-outs which turn it into accommodation. And I put 'chooks/chickens' now too. (Fancy calling a full-grown chook a 'chicken'.) Another one is the different names for what I call an 'op shop' (opportunity shop) which I often have to explain. It seems more likely to be a thrift shop, charity store, goodwill. etc. Hopefully all this is making us all more tolerant of others.
I almost wanna say "I got so mad I chooked them' now. They grow up to be chickens. They are only chicks at first.
@JolietJake No, no. They grow up to be chooks, CHOOKS!!
@Morleyhunt (21445)
Many years ago I was needing to mop up my children in a restaurant. I asked the wait staff for some serviettes.....they looked at me blankly. I repeated....serviettes.....then I mimed wiping the child's hands and face.....he said....oh....you mean a napkin...
Now see, I'd have got you a mop and bucket and asked why they were all over the floor anyway.
@Morleyhunt (21445)
@JolietJake it's that language thing...
I think one of the most confusing differences between us is the use of the 'floors'. To Americans the 1st floor is what to the Brits is the ground floor, so your 2nd floor is our 1st floor, and so on all the way up the building.
Yeah, I got a bit confused years ago when someone fell out a first floor window and broke a leg (I was reading a book). Finally figured out it was a second story window to us.
I like hearing/reading these alternate terms for things
You mean like facts?
@Mike197602 (13930)
There are loads of US/UK words that are different. I think I know most of them now
Someone should post a list of translations.
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
Man, I tried to put one of those English bonnets on my head, and oy I had such a headache!
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
Caravan makes me think of my Dodge van, but yea I know what you mean