Have You Ever Put the Wrong Condiment into the Wrong Food or Drink?

Midland, Michigan
I just got done making myself a quick cup of soup and a hot coffee since I'm a bit tired and don't want to take time for a nap. I have the coffee in a normal sized coffee cup and already added creamer. I have the soup in a larger coffee cup and got done adding a few crackers. But, I took a second look to make sure I put the crackers into the soup cup and not the coffee cup. Whew! Did it right this time. When doing food and drink at the same time I've often poured the wrong thing into the wrong container. For instance when having cereal and coffee I've poured the creamer on top of my cereal and almost poured syrup into my coffee rather than on my waffles. Some mistakes might be manageable to still eat the item, but crackers in coffee wouldn't be so great. Have any of you done fun stuff like this before?
• Portland, Connecticut
My hubs added the horseradish sauce to Tuna instead of mayo that was pretty interesting lol
• Midland, Michigan
I do like horseradish, but not sure whether I'm ready to experiment with it on my tuna just yet. I'll see how long I keep it in mind in case I want to be different.
• Portland, Connecticut
@MarshaMusselman It really wasn't bad, different but not bad!! Though we have never done it again lol
Only once, I was having chicken noodle soup with a cup of coffee and poured milk into the soup instead of the coffee, it was a strange taste to say the least.
• Midland, Michigan
Some things we don't want to wasted, do we, by throwing out the mistake and good food too. I'm sure I've come up with loads of strange combinations, but I rarely write them down to remember later.
I agree @MarshaMusselman milk in chicken soup wasn't the greatest but it was edible, won't be doin that again anytime soon.
@Platespinner (16532)
Just this weekend I was making two french presses of coffee; one regular, one decaf (I do this every morning). The first scoop of decaf went into the wrong pot, no big deal I just poured the grounds over into the other pot. Then I proceeded to put in the other scoops of decaf. So far so good. Next I dumped five scoops of regular coffee ground on top of the decaf grounds. My husbands coffee wasn't entirely regular, and mine wasn't completely decaf. Some mornings I shouldn't be trusted to do ANYTHING in the kitchen.
• Midland, Michigan
Hah, that's pretty funny. Especially since you already made a mistake and kept on adding to it.
@MarshaMusselman Some days I outdo myself .
Just the other day I had been frying some eggs in oil, and had a cup of tea ready on the counter. I poured the excess oil into my tea instead of the cup I meant to save it in!
• Midland, Michigan
Had to laugh at that one although you probably weren't very happy. I know you didn't try to drink that mixture.
@MarshaMusselman I certainly didn't try to drink it! I had to scrub my cup out several times.
It happened that I have put salt in my coffee and the taste is horrible, really horrible.
• Midland, Michigan
And you probably didn't have a clue that you'd done that before having a drink? That would be one thing I'd dump out if I realized what I did right away.
@MarshaMusselman No, I would have never imagined that I had put salt in my coffee. I was in my Mom apartment and she gave me the cup with "the sugar", so I had no reason to think it was salt.
@moffittjc (41198)
• Gainesville, Florida
I do it all the time in the morning! Just a couple of days ago, I poured cereal into my coffee mug! Thank goodness there was no coffee in it yet, but I did have a good laugh at that one! I don't function very well until I've had my morning coffee!
• Midland, Michigan
Whether or not I have coffee in the morning or any time of the day has nothing to do with whether or not I keep my focus on what I'm putting where. Sometimes I'll eat my cereal in a mug since a bowl may be dirty or I lack room at my desk. Just be careful, it could get worse in the next fifteen years.
@moffittjc (41198)
• Gainesville, Florida
@MarshaMusselman I do the same thing if I don't have a clean dish or bowl. About a week ago, I ate a bowl of cereal out of sauce pan because I didn't have any clean dishes and I was running late for work and didn't have time to clean one! haha
@silvermist (19887)
While I haven't had such experiences, I know instances where a person put salt powder in coffee instead of sugar.
• Midland, Michigan
Someone else here did that before too. If you're young, give yourself time, I'm sure it will happen eventually. I don't remember running into that too much before I hit fifty-five or so.
I have salted my cereal. Why I picked up the shaker is beyond me.
• Midland, Michigan
I've grabbed weird things from the fridge before and luckily looked at what was in my hand before using it on whatever I was about to eat or drink. I think it's a wonder why we don't mess up more than we do.
Oh I have done it. I can especially see it happening, if having both items in a mug
• Midland, Michigan
I'll do about anything that's nearby even if both aren't in the same thing, like one in a mug or glass and something else in a bowl or plate.
I've opened the salt instead of just using the shaker and poured it on, and then couldn't eat it. That was a while ago since I've taken salt out of my diet. I still remember my shock when I did that.
@PatZAnthony (12343)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
This must be how new product lines come about.
@Plethos (9644)
I once put salt in my coffee instead of sugar. The place had them both in identical unlabeled containers.
Instead of cinnamon on my oatmeal, I have grabbed a spice and mistakenly put that on my oatmeal. The containers are all so similar.
@Shellyann36 (8916)
Oh yes! The kids like cinnamon toast and they also like cinnamon in their oatmeal. I took an empty cinnamon bottle and mixed up some cinnamon/sugar in it for their toast and oatmeal. I accidently picked up the wrong bottle and put straight cinnamon on their toast once. I was in a hurry and not paying much attention. They let me know with the first taste. You should have seen their faces!
• Midland, Michigan
At least it wasn't something altogether different than the cinnamon even though it was missing the sugar.
@MarshaMusselman This is true. I was able to salvage the toast and not have to throw the whole lot in the trash.
@marsha32 (6689)
One night at supper we were having spaghetti and salad. I had put shredded cheese on top of both and ended up putting the Dorothy Lynch dressing on top of my spaghetti instead of my salad. Good thing Dorothy Lynch is good on about anything.
• Midland, Michigan
That's a funny one, but I can see how easy it would be to do . We don't have that brand here that I know of.
I do strange things like that all the time. I threw a water bottle into the laundry basket instead of the recycling bin yesterday. We're not alone. My hubs prepared his cup with creamer, left it on the counter, and started the Keurig with no cup to catch the coffee. Lol!
@miesse2 (227)
I've purposely done something similar as an april fools joke, It was mean but I've added baby formula to coffee and salt on separate occasions. Probably frustrating if it was an accident and drank or ate it. I at leadt got to laugh at my husband when he got his coffee!