Favorite Indepenent Record Labels #1 - Factory

Colorado Springs, Colorado
#1 in my Favorite Independent Record Labels is one that was very special to me: Factory Records. Factory was started by the late BBC Television personality Tony Wilson and actor Alan Erasmus in Manchester, England in 1978. At first, Factory provided a home for guitarist Vini Reilly's band The Durutti Column (a favorite of mine,) whom Wilson also managed. Focus shifted, however, once the label signed now legendary post punk band Joy Division, which would later become New Order. With New Order, Wilson opened a Manchester nightclub, the Hacienda, in order to showcase Factory acts. The venture was a financial disaster: New Order's Factory released song "Blue Monday" is the biggest selling twelve inch single in history, yet the band never saw a dime, as all profits were invested into the club in an attempt to keep it afloat. The Wilson-Factory story was told in the film 24 Hour Party People, and plays a part in the Joy Division movie, Control. Additionally, Factory releases were known for cover art designed by artist Peter Saville. In addition to Joy Division, New Order, and The Durutti Column, Factory released albums and singles from great bands such as A Certain Ratio and Happy Mondays, as well as lesser known acts such as Crispy Ambulance. (Fun Fact: Former Joy Division and New Order bassist Peter Hook owns six basses made from wood from the Hacienda dancefloor.) I don't see myself ever loving a record label as much as I love Factory. Ever. (Info verified by Wikipedia)
The Durutti Column, "Arpeggiator" from the album "The Guitar and Other Machines" (Factory 1988)
@FourWalls (10706)
It's a shame that the label robbed the artists of their money, though. Certainly not the first time: Hank Locklin told me that he never saw a penny from his #1 song "Let Me Be the One" that he recorded on the Four Star label. You'd think that indie labels wouldn't rip off the artists the way the "big boys" do, but alas. Loved the series.
I read an interview with Porl King of Rosetta Stone. He said he loved being on Cleopatra because they always paid when they were supposed to. A shame not every label is like that.
Thanks Scott.
Oh, you're welcome. I have fun doing these.
@Ronrybs (6971)
• London, England
This is one label I do know
I would certainly hope so! Legendary British label and all!
@Ronrybs (6971)
• London, England
@teamfreak16 I've never seen the film, I really must get around to that!
@Ronrybs - It's a pretty cool movie. Steve Coogan plays Tony Wilson.
@LoriAMoore (8605)
Wow you know a lot about music and independent labels
Most of the music I buy is on indie's, so when I find a band I like, I research the label so I can find more of their bands.
Great choice for the # 1 spot.
There was never any doubt in my mind.
Factory was so instrumental in 80s British new wave. The Manchester sound.
I have yet to hear a Manchester band I haven't liked.