A 14 year old with bifocals?

Have you ever heard of such a thing? I brought my daughter to the eye doctor tonight. She's had glasses for about a year.. but lately she's been complaining that they're not working anymore. Afraid that her prescription may have changed, I made her an appointment. After a few minutes the doctor called me in and showed me the difference between her vision. Her current prescription is fine for seeing things far away.. such as reading the board in class.. but when she tries to read things close up she can't see them. He put those big, funny glasses on her and had her read something close up, which she was able to do.. but then he tried to get her to read something across the room with those funny glasses on and she couldn't.. So at 14 years old, my daughter needs bifocals. The doctor said it's not really that uncommon, and it's possible her vision will change to the point where she won't need the bifocals for too long.
I have never heard of it before but I am sure it is not uncommon. People's eyesight change. Are they both your daughters? They are beautiful young ladies.
No, just the one in glasses. The other is our neighbor.
@katsmeow1213 She is very pretty. Her glasses suit her well.
@Happy2BeMe thank you
That is different. I hope her eyes change so she doesn't need the bifocals.
Right now I'm just hoping she can learn to get used to them so she can use them properly. She'll get them sometime this week.
@katsmeow1213 That's the hard part. I remember the first time I had them. Is she getting the invisible line? I was forever trying to walk over that line. It took some getting used to.
@just4him No, there will be a line unfortunately. I went with the cheapest pair possible for now..
I went to the eye doctor last month, and so far, so good! I don't need any glasses. Are there anything recommendations by the doctor? Mine said keep up with eating fish or fish oil pills, eat vegetables. Always take a break when using your computer, blink, don't strain your eyes at night, always sit in good lighting if possible, etc.
No, none of that.. her eye problems are genetic as I have bad eye sight and so did my mother. I've eaten carrots daily my whole life to try to get better skin, and they're supposed to be good for eyes too.. So I don't think it helps when your bad eye sight is genetic.
@katsmeow1213 Darn! But her eye can improve overtime too? I don't like carrots and don't eat them daily, but I've been good so far.
@infatuatedbby It can change. It probably won't improve much.. she'll always need glasses.. but she may not always need bifocals.
That is not uncommon but annoying to have such a noticeable change in one year-- I cannot think of anything that would of created that visual field issue, but maybe you could look into the benefits of an herb called Eyebright ?
Nothing causes such a vision change.. it is natural and perfectly normal.
@katsmeow1213 uhhhm not true-- excessive strain on the optic nerve causes the lens to begin focusing incorrectly and requiring external lenses to train the eye to see both fields perfectly and intermittingly is generally how the problem is treated as I have glasses for seeing far away things my own eyes cannot so well on their own BUT my prescription lens strength has not wavered in over 10 years . . .
@enlightenedpsych2 With children it's normal for their vision to change a lot from year to year as they're still growing and developing.
@PainsOnSlate (20079)
That is young but its true some kids do get better as they age. I was in my 30's before i needed bifocals..I love the look of her glasses.
Those are her old glasses. She will get the new ones next week. I am over 30 and still don't need bifocals.. knock on wood.
@katsmeow1213 i started with reading glasses in my 20's and then it was obviously I needed distance too... I love the look of those glasses.
@PainsOnSlate Those are her old ones. The new ones come in next week.
I only wore glasses for distance at that age. I never knew of anyone wearing bifocals, but then again, I never asked. Seeing clearly is all that really matters. Besides, she looks adorable in them! She's very pretty!
In the pic she's wearing her old glasses... she won't get the new bifocals until next week.
@katsmeow1213 She is still pretty!
@DianneN Thank you
Who would have thought that? I haven't heard of it before.
I hadn't either but the doctor said it was very common.
@katsmeow1213 Something else I've learnt.
She needs to have her eyes check, maybe she needs some real glasses. If that's true, then that's really sad.
She already wears glasses
I hope her eyes will improve tat is to young for bifocals.
@MissNikki (2661)
Aw, I hope her vision improves soon!
@Madshadi (8953)
• Brussels, Belgium
I hope she won't need them for long.
@themrs (158)
I have never hear of this before, my oldest child has been wearing glasses since he was about 5 years old and his eyes get worse every few years so they chance the prescription.
@Beatburn (3915)
I think early detection helps.