Can smart phones replace laptops?

Delhi, India
Well, to be honest, most of my work is done through my mobile only. Emails, online research, fb, YouTube, payments using apps and now mylot as well.. I need laptop mostly when bulk payments needs to be done (staff salaries), working on spread sheets or some particular portals that specifically work on laptops..
@eliabu (30)
its a mixed reaction to me since I am for both, the phone does almost however there are some activities which can not be supported by phone, hence require a laptop.
Yup, that's what I mentioned in my post. A few things could only be done on a laptop and one of those is working on spread sheets..
@AkoPinay (10823)
@aseemchandna yeah I use my phone oftentimes but laptop/desktop is not only for spreedsheets etc, an iPhone needs computer too if not charging I plug it on netbook
They may for some people, but I don't own a smartphone and don't really want one
@EddieHands (32982)
it's hard to type on them. I still rather use a PC or laptop for serious work and projects.
@topffer (30548)
• France
Personally I need a real keyboard to be comfortable to type. And there are a lot of other things that I would not do on a phone : making serious adjustments to a photo, editing or converting a movie (converting a movie is not impossible, but it can take hours on a phone), etc. And a laptop cannot do anything : I have a desktop for gaming.
@shshiju (9295)
• Cochin, India
It is true that all functions are in mobiles also because now the mobiles provides enough processing speed and back up. But I think lap is easy to type and view big those who favors.
@eliabu (30)
the speed can be a major factor here also, despite the fact the phone can do certain work speed can let it down leading to either crash or loss of data
With 3GB or 4gb RAM smartphones, I don't think speed is a problem as such. In fact because of word predictions in a Phone, writing text is quite fast... I have not encountered problem of data loss because my work doesn't need me to work on much data.. Mails are enough for me (most of the time)
@AkoPinay (10823)
@eliabu @aseemchandna my iPhone is faster than my laptop/netbook not all laptops/smartphones are the same.
@eliabu (30)
@AkoPinay I agree with you, there is some reality there. However suppose you want to design some databases you will realize the phone may not support that...in most cases its only limited to word processor, spreadsheet and powerpoint
@egdcltd (5859)
For me, definitely not. Laptops can't even replace my desktop (sure, I could get a laptop that does what my desktop does - for about three times the money!). I have a dual monitor setup, and dropping back to one screen really slows me down. Without a proper keyboard, I can't write as fast either.
@libster (170)
• Richland, Washington
Right! I use my laptop most when I need to be typing something!
@egdcltd (5859)
@aseemchandna My laptop is an old (decade? more?) Vista model that is frankly utterly obsolete, and slow, by now, but I don't use it very often.
@EddieHands (32982)
I don't think so, I can type better on a laptop or PC, than I can on a phone. Phones are cool because I can access sites anytime and update anytime. But I love working more on a PC to be honest.
@iridion9 (2327)
NEVER, laptop has BIG screen and desktop too. For programmers a desktop or laptop is way better than smartphone or tablet.
@sabtraversa (9802)
If you work, the smartphone isn't very comfortable. I usually use IM apps and take photos with my smartphone. I don't like to browse the internet or send emails through it, I try to use the laptop for those activities. Same for myLot, photos will be upside down if uploaded by smartphone, pff. Nothing can replace Mr Laptey.
@AkoPinay (10823)
No, but I am only using an iPhone to make money online. I use netbook when needed but I still prefer desktop computers if only internet connection is not a problem at my current location.
@deadreak (607)
• Dagupan City, Philippines
For me not, there is a lot of applications that we can not access on smart phone, for example autocad, the database that we use at the department store and a lot more.
@Plethos (4847)
phones are mostly for on the go errands that can be done on it. laptops and home pcs are for more personal and time consuming tasks. especially if youre into photography and photo shopping. and besides, youd get tired of looking at a small screen doing all the major things on it, so a larger screen helps.