Returning to Almost Normal Life after Flu

Bench overlooking the Salinas River in Paso Robles during January 2017
@bagarad (12170)
Paso Robles, California
As I write this I'm at almost the end of my third week of Influenza A. My husband caught it first and I took him to the ER on a Sunday afternoon. He was diagnosed and treated with Tamiflu. That helped him get well faster. When I came down with the flu Monday night, no one was well enough to get me to the doctor to get Tamiflu for myself, so I got sicker and am taking longer to recover. I'm almost wishing I had gotten a flu shot, as my doctor advised. Why didn't I take her advice? I haven't had any virus in the past 20 years that's lasted more than three days. I have taken good care of my immune system and that has usually protected me. Even when I have gotten sick, it's been mild. I don't like shots because of the mercury, which is said to contribute to getting dementia. I suspect the reason my immune system didn't protect me this time is that my husband went to Costco and bought my favorite chocolate treat they were closing out of a couple of days before. When we came home from the ER on Sunday night, I'm afraid I pigged out on those chocolate covered coconut almonds. Sugar is very bad when you are fighting off a virus. Even though I was able to go for a 45- minute walk to see the river while waiting for Hubby's prescriptions to be filled at Walmart, by evening I was sick. My first week was terrible. I still have a lingering hacking cough, but I was checked out by a doctor a week ago. She said my chest was clear and there were not any bacterial complications. She advised me to stop taking a mucus relief pill I thought was helping me and instead take the antihistamine tablet I'd stopped taking when I got sick. After I followed her advice, I slept better. Rather than show you photos of us while we were sick, I'll show you a photo I took of the river just before I got sick. It's prettier. I was anxious to take my river pictures because most of the year you can't see the river. When I took these, it was after a series of heavy rains, with more to follow.
The flu is terrible this year. Even with having the flu shot, I managed to get it. Found out that I have "B", not sure what that is though. For me it was body aches, headache that made me feel like my eyes were bulging out, sneezing, coughing, and nausea. I read on a website that you should stay home at least 5-7 days after being diagnosed. I work in healthcare as a PCA and don't want to share this with my clients. Hopefully I haven't infected anyone with it. I'll need to stay out of work until at least Tuesday or Wednesday due to the fact that I am still coughing and sneezing. Lovely picture of the river. The bench beckons you to sit awhile and enjoy.
@bagarad (12170)
• Paso Robles, California
We had A. The doctor said the flu shot was supposed to protect us from both strains and two others. I am so glad I never got the headache. I did get the muscle aches and the chest cough. I hope you recover soon.
@bagarad I am slowly on the mend. Still getting the headache and fatigue.
@bagarad (12170)
• Paso Robles, California
@ElusiveButterfly Sometimes I think the headache is the worst, since when your head doesn't work right, everything else is more difficult. I'm really glad to have escaped that symptom this time. Hope you feel better soon.
Personally I think you were smarter NOT to get the flu shot because of the heavy metallic elements that are combined with the antigen BUT if for 20 years you have not had any cold or symptoms associated with the flu, now having it as rough and yucky as it is, the next 20 are knock on wood resisted against and you are protected without destroying any of your brain cells with mercury . . . Hope you are near back to almost perfect @bagarad and a very happy New year if I forgot to wish you one !
@bagarad (12170)
• Paso Robles, California
Thanks for those encouraging words. Most people, including medical people, think we are crazy not to get the shots. At the hospital they told my husband he should still get one after he recovers since there are three other strains of flu the shot protects against we haven't gotten yet. It's been our experience that the shot only protects about half the time. Better to keep the immune system up and running.
@bagarad Ooooh I want to hug you so much for being one of the WISER people out here understanding the dangers of what binds the antigens with in those vaccines and shots. I am from a medical background as dad was an orthopedic surgeon and I worked in an office as a medical assistant/physicians assistant for 5 specialty doctors-- Otolaryngology, Gastroenterology, Urology, Nephrology, Oncology and one general Surgeon who moon lighted the office space on rotating weekends. I learned an awful lot and I do mean awful . . .
@bagarad (12170)
• Paso Robles, California
@enlightenedpsych2 I think the Obamacare guidelines make the doctors recommend the vaccines. At least we weren't force to get them.
@PainsOnSlate (20254)
I love this photo too. My doctor has a few days every year where anyone can come in and get the flu shot. This year I also got the shingles vaccine so I needed an appointment and my husband went with me too...I always get the flu shot but last year the hubs decided he didn't need it so he refused the shot and spent weeks sicker than I've ever seen him. He won't be doing that again. We're in our 70's and we cant take that chance when there is a shot to avoid that illness. I hope you are recovering well.
@bagarad (12170)
• Paso Robles, California
I'm also in my seventies and Hubby is almost 80. We weigh our options carefully. I'm still trying to decide about the shingles vaccine. No one in my family has ever gotten shingles, and Mom lived to be 89.
@bagarad the only reason I got The Shingles Shot is because the doctors office phoned and said because I was born in 1945 and have had shingles, the shot right now is free for me...( a gift from Canada) The cost is huge usually so I jumped at the chance to get it free.. I had Shingles a few years back and it was not a pleasant experience. If your insurance will cover it, ask your doctor for advice and if he/she says yes, do it.
@bagarad (12170)
• Paso Robles, California
@PainsOnSlate I did know someone who had it and she suffered terribly. I did have chickenpox as a child and know I'm at risk. I'm still thinking it over.
@silvermist (20100)
@bagarad,Sorry to know you were sick.But happy that now you are well.That is a neat,beautiful photo.
@bagarad (12170)
• Paso Robles, California
Thank you. The toughest part of being sick (besides being miserable for a few days) is catching up on all you haven't done on and offline when you couldn't function. Dishes piled up, I didn't write online for two weeks, and finding something healthy to eat was difficult. I couldn't cook for a week. It was a time of making lots of tea and using any canned soup we had.
@silvermist (20100)
@bagarad I am sure you are doing everything now one by one.Slow and steady.
@bagarad (12170)
• Paso Robles, California
@silvermist I'm slowly catching up. it's getting back into housework that's the toughest. I just don't have the energy for heavy work yet.
I am glad you showed us this picture instead of you being sick. So do you get the flu shots now?
@bagarad (12170)
• Paso Robles, California
Wow! I wrote this last year, and wouldn't you know? I'm just about over this year's flu.
@bagarad That is something that the post applies here too to the flu Barbara.
@carebear29 (28586)
• Wausau, Wisconsin
I knwo what you mean. I had the flu Friday
@bagarad (12170)
• Paso Robles, California
For only one day? Lucky you if you are over it so fast
@carebear29 (28586)
• Wausau, Wisconsin
I didn't know about the mercury. We usually get flu shots each year.
@bagarad (12170)
• Paso Robles, California
We used to. Almost every vaccine contains some mercury. I try to avoid those for common viruses and only get those for things like tetanus that are sure killers.
@bagarad That's a very sensible idea. Our latest vaccinations were for pneumonia and shingles.
@dragon54u (31617)
What a lovely picture! I love looking at moving water, it's so peaceful even if it's white rapids. I'm sorry you got sick but I, too, refuse to get the flu shot. Getting the flu this time probably prepared you both to resist the next really virulent strain that comes around. You're strong enough to fight it off, at least, and I doubt you'll get this sick again. I hope you recover fully very soon.
@bagarad (12170)
• Paso Robles, California
I hope you are right. Some doctor is always trying to talk me into a vaccine. My doctor wants me to get the shingles vaccine. My husband did get it. We've both had chickenpox. I hope I'm not making a mistake in resisting this vaccine.
@dragon54u (31617)
@bagarad I think you're wise to refuse it. I'm 62 and keep getting urged to get the shingles vaccine, too. I won't take any vaccine, especially the flu vaccine. Why do they push it so aggressively? What does it do that they want so badly? I'm very suspicious of the government.
Why can't you see the river most of the year?
@bagarad (12170)
• Paso Robles, California
It's a subterranean river. Most of the year it's so dry that we only see it after a series of heavy rains. It's visible above ground only a few months of the year in winter and early spring. California has been in drought for years, and this is the first decent rainfall we've had in many years. Even our most local lake completely dried out for a couple of years. Now the local lake water levels are rising again. I hope I'm well enough to go take photos before things get dry again.
@bagarad Thanks for the explanation!
We get a flu shot every year. Haven't had the flu since 1990. We both used to get the flu every year. It's awful!
@bagarad (12170)
• Paso Robles, California
We usually only get light cases. We used to get the shots every year, but they did not always keep us from getting the flu.
@Morleyhunt (19750)
Hope that you are fully recovered. Flu isn't fun....I fought a lingering runny nose, coughing bug fir almost six weeks. It would seem to get better, then come back. Now I'm back to being my usual healthy self.
@bagarad (12170)
• Paso Robles, California
It's encouraging to know that the lingering cough is just part of the recovery. I'm trying not to overdo, but I did take another hour walk today. Glad you are healthy again.
• Pamplona, Spain
Very lovely photo and I am glad you are recovering too. I donĀ“t like the idea of those flu shots. My Mom had them and she got more Colds instead and a lot of others do too. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
@bagarad (12170)
• Paso Robles, California
I still think the immune system is the best bet, along with avoiding sugar.
@PatZAnthony (12657)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Not intending to take any vaccinations here, but know that many people do. Sugar is always bad, but something most of us like! We don't get colds, flu, etc. here, but know it could happen, just like it did to you!
@bagarad (12170)
• Paso Robles, California
There's no sure escape. We just have to do the best we can and try to manage our lives wisely.
That is a peaceful scene. I could sit there for a few and watch the water go by.
@bagarad (12170)
• Paso Robles, California
I wish I had time to do just that. How is the Los Angeles River doing after the rain?
I hope you are fully recovered soon. Being sick is not fun for anyone
@bagarad (12170)
• Paso Robles, California
Thank you. I'm almost well, now.