Roger Federer Wins the Australian Men's Open Tennis Title

Bunbury, Australia
We just finished watching the finals of the Australian Open Tennis competition. We watched the men's final with Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer. We may not have bothered otherwise but we have the utmost admiration for these two talented and distinguished players. I wish some of our current Australian tennis players would learn some respect, manners and sportsmanship from these two older statesmen. It was a nail-biting game with Federer just edging out Nadal at the finish. The scores were 6-3, 3-6, 6-1, 3-6, 6-4. Halfway through the game, friends came to the door bringing a tool that Vince wanted to borrow. We had enough dinner to share with them so they watched the last of the tennis with us. It must be hard to lose such a hard-fought match then have to speak to the crowd at the award ceremonies. I hope these two are able to fight out many more championships. They deserve every one of their victories. The photo has no relation to the post but is unusual. Copyright Vince Evans
@hostessman (10314)
• Tucson, Arizona
I seen that he won and that Serena Williams won the women title
@hostessman She is amazing.
The 'old' champions were out in force for the finals. It was good to see. The young ones will get plenty of chances later.
Are the current Aussie players not so well behaved? A far cry from the days of Laver and Newcombe.
Nick Kyrgios and Bernard Tomic are our top two at the moment and are arrogant young upstarts. They are always creating a furore. I'm hoping the younger ones coming up might be a bit more sportsmanlike.
@Gillygirl (17623)
• Sutton, England
They are both real gentlemen. I remember the days of John McEnroe and his temper tantrums on the court.
Our top two young ones are the equal of McEnroe. It was a pleasure to watch Federer and Nadal.
@Gillygirl I remember John McEnroe he really had a bad temper.
@Gillygirl (17623)
• Sutton, England
@LadyDuck Yes I remember him shouting 'You cannot be serious'.
@vandana7 (69058)
I think there should be some moments of privacy given to the players so that they can regain their composure. It must have been really hard on Nadal, and full marks to Federer for acknowledging that the game deserved to be a draw.
It was such a shame that there had to be a loser. As you say, Nadal must have found it really hard but he gave a really nice speech and not just a few words. It is nice too that they are friends.
@vandana7 (69058)
@JudyEv . true...but it is hard to be smiling when in the heart you want to cry not because you lost the money, but all the efforts up to that point have gone down the drain kinda even if the match was that close...
@vandana7 That's so true. They play their heart out and on the day it isn't quite enough. Very sad for them.
@moffittjc (47545)
• Gainesville, Florida
I happened to catch a brief news clip discussing the outcome. The announcer said it was one of Roger's best matches he has ever played. And as good as Federer is, that must be saying a lot! Wish I would have been able to watch the match!
It was an awesome match. Some games swung back and forth and I thought Federer had lost it a few times but he managed to come back and win. Nadal has won the majority of their matches.
@moffittjc (47545)
• Gainesville, Florida
@JudyEv I'm sure the two of them will meet up again in many future championship matches.
@moffittjc They're not finished yet that's for sure.
• Eugene, Oregon
Both great players, and I wish I had watched that and the match between the Williams sisters too.
It was nice to see the 'older statespersons' slogging it out.
• Eugene, Oregon
@JudyEv That's for sure!
He is really good!
They are both amazing players. Federer was just that bit better on the night.
@tzwrites (4980)
I didn't watch the match but I am glad Federer won, I like him more for no real reason
I was barracking for him too. :)
Yes,this I know.I did follow the open there.
It was a great game, wasn't it?
I missed both the men's and women's games, but saw clips on the news.
It was interesting that the older stalwarts did so well. The young ones could learn a few lessons from these four.
Two very talented players indeed.
They are. To watch some of the shots they were able to return was quite awe-inspiring.
I might not know much about tennis, but I do recognize the names. I'm glad the older statesman got the win. It shows he's still got what it takes to play the sport and I hope he can do so for many years yet. I like the picture. What is the plant?
It's the flower stalk of our grass tree. Before politically correct times, they were called 'black boys'.
Nadal and Federer are the same age but both are respectful and fair-minded. These qualities are sometimes lacking in younger players.
@JudyEv I've noticed it too in the game of American Football. Bad sportsmanship seems to be everywhere among the younger players. Such a shame too.
@sueznewz2 (10155)
• Alicante, Spain
Yes I really enjoyed the match... i'm glad you're friends were happy to watch it with so you didn't miss it....
@Inlemay (17162)
• South Africa
It was a very close game - so glad Federer won - he is my favourite
Mine too although I like Nadal as well. It was a shame there had to be a loser.
perhaps that some players are prickly and not as fun to watch?
Yes, I guess that's it.
@Madshadi (9029)
• Brussels, Belgium
Everyone watched the game here. I'm not really into tennis but it's a popular sport where I live
Some players really draw the crowds. I wouldn't normally bother watching the tennis but when these two wonderful 'older' champions were going to play each other, I had to watch.
As you can imagine I immediately knew from the Swiss press, they are all excited here.
Federer is a wonderful ambassador for Switzerland.
• Denver, Colorado
Both class acts. Did you know that Federer once personally picked Nadal up at the airport before a tournament because something happened with Nadal's ride?
I can easily believe it. And some quite young boy was there when Federer came into the arena (the lad later tossed the coin before the start of their match) and Federer smiled, shook his hand and had a little chat with him. He does things like that whereas some others will bawl out the ball boys for no reason at all.
I am glad they won and I really like your picture.
Thanks.
I wonder how they can even manage to talk to the media, they are always so invasive and I wish once the person would just say I feel like crap I just lost!!
Poor Nadal looked pretty upset but he gave a very positive speech with smiles and laughter. Maybe the tears came later in the locker room.