Clearing Out the Empty Nest

Four years ago I had the opportunity to move back up to Pennsylvania. That required getting rid of a lot of my stuff. So I donated as much as I could to Goodwill and the few things that I decided to hold onto were placed into storage. Eventually I did get those things out of storage and eventually I did get used to the fact that I did not have some of the things that I used to. I have become a minimalist as a result of that decision to donate practically everything I owned. So, periodically throughout the year I continue to go through all of my stuff to see what I can donate or throw out all together. Today is no exception. My goal at this time is to not have anything stored in boxes unless I am certain that I will be using those items periodically throughout the year. That means that even some things that I have considered to be sentimental will have to go as well. Why? Well, because what is the sense of keeping something if it's only ever going to stay shut up in a box? I am still a renter and do not plan to spend the rest of my life living in this house. I am also too old to be moving things myself anymore. So, why shouldn't I make my life easier by limiting the amount of boxes that will have to be carried out of here once I find a new place to live ( that is more visually impaired friendly)? Could you downsize your possessions or do you need to get a storage unit because your attic, basement, spare bedroom, and garage (that should be housing your cars by the way) are already overflowing?
I live in a nice sized unit I need to down size once more time. I will be doing that in a few weeks. I would not dare rent a space for storage unless I were out of the unit on my way to another. I am way too frugal for that.
I hear you there. I have always felt that's storage units are better used temporarily.
@Chellezhere Yes I moved and used them for one month only while relocating to my new home. No way would I dare waste that kind of cash. lol.
@sharon6345 I hear ya! I only use them for about that long as well.
We moved to a smaller place this past July. Most of the treasures I had went to the Goodwill. I was going to have a tag sale, but my husband reminded me that we would need space to store the stuff until the tag sale. We didn't have the space. Even though I downsized, I know I can still lose more of the things I thought I couldn't live without. But, that isn't going to happen anytime soon. I haven't the energy to sort through things.
Energy? What is this "energy" thing that you speak of? I don't have much of that myself these days. So, I am just going through one box at a time. If I only have the energy to do one box everyday, that's fine with me. These boxes that I have are all bankers boxes and I have dwindled things down enough that I can fit them all into one clothes closet (but, that's still too much for me).
@Chellezhere I have a room that is the collect all room. My husband's tools and equipment are stored in there along with a door and a huge table that take up most of the space. I really need to purchase a heavy duty shelf to put things on. That will help get things more organized so I can make heads or tails of things.
@ElusiveButterfly I understand.
I've had to downsize before. It was hard at first to let go of a lot of things, but it felt nice afterwards. :-)
Yes, it is.
I have learned years ago that material items can be bought in the future if and when you want to. I don't hold onto material possessions the way I used to. My husband and I have moved 37 times in 12 years so we have lost many things. And we have been homeless a few times also, so I know first hand "things" can always be replaced.
Exactly.
Yes, I have quite a few things that need to be gotten rid of. I look at it that if I keep too much eventually when I am no longer around they will get thrown out anyway. So I do have to work on uncluttering.
Yes even the things that mean something to us because maybe those things belong to a favorite aunt or uncle or grandparent or perhaps even one of our parents don't mean as much to our descendants.