My Sewing Box

Winston Salem, North Carolina
Earlier today we got to see @JudyEv ‘s utilitarian sewing carry-all and @MorleyHunt ‘s attractive antique sewing box. Mine falls somewhere in between. I ended up with my wooden accordian fold sewing box entirely by accident a few years ago when I stopped at a yard sale because I had spotted a sewing machine as my husband and I were driving past. The sewing machine was in good shape, and the asking price was more than reasonable. As I was fishing in my wallet for the money to purchase the machine and the cabinet it was attached to, I was told that for another few dollars I could have the sewing box as well. The box was stuffed with notions and accessories so I bought it as well. The box was missing one of it’s feet so I purchased a new set of legs to keep it from wobbling and it currently contains a collection of my sewing bits and pieces. The small work-bag in the photo was my first sewing “basket.” In the seventh grade, our home economics teacher asked that all students bring in a shoe box to use for our sewing classes. The teacher wanted boxes that would stack easily on the shelves in her storage area. We didn’t have any empty shoe-boxes at home at the time so my mother decided to improvise a small work-bag for me. I still remember the teasing that I endured because I clearly didn’t know what a shoe-box was. I hadn’t seen the bag in years, and was surprised to spot it when we were clearing out my parents house a year or so ago. Isn’t it funny how some memories can make us laugh and cry at the same time?
Your sewing box looks like it would hold a lot of items & seems like you got a good deal at the yard sale. Its nice that you found your little sewing bag at your parents and shared its story with us.
The sewing machine itself was more than worth every penny I paid for it. It is my "little sewing machine that could" and has bailed me out of several tricky moments when the sewing machine I bought new some 23 years ago has failed me (the used one is about the same age, possibly a little older).
A lovely post Joanne. I love your sewing 'basket'. My husband had a tool-box with these sorts of hinges. Whatever we want is usually in the last part we get to! And isn't it so important at school to be just the same as everyone else? That's how I always felt anyway. :)
I tried very hard to fit in, but never managed it. I was too much of a square peg trying to fit into a round hole.
@Platespinner In that case, finally leaving school would have been a blessing.
@JudyEv High school wasn't too bad, by that point I had come to terms with being a non-conformist. The so-called middle school years were brutal, and a very significant factor in the decision to home school my own kids.
My sewing box is a little smaller but almost identical to your wooden box.
My mother had one that was similar.
@Platespinner My mother has a bigger one. I think I am going to ask for it the next time I see her.
I rally like your box..I think you got a nice bargain.
I was quite pleased with it and there were a lot of useful bits and pieces inside it as well.
@Platespinner I am sure it was that is great.
I'm a memory hoarder and things that have a memory attached are always hard to let go off.
I don't have room to be a memory hoarder. I've kept a lot of things over the years, but I've also disposed of a lot. Stuff can quickly become stifling.
@Hate2Iron (7175)
My husband bought me one for Christmas... the first year we were married and before he realized that all I can sew is a button lol. But it was that sewing box that I couldn't let go of when we were trying to downsize for this latest move. (Glad that you found your sewing bag again)
My husband has never bought me any sewing supplies. I'm pretty sure he thinks I have too much already. Actually...now that I think about it, he did buy the third sewing machine. But that's technically for one of our daughters so it doesn't really count.
@UncleJoe (6986)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I love that box. I wonder if it was hand-made. I remember being teased by classmates because i wore hand-me-downs. Unfortunately my 2 older brothers wore their clothes out before they got to me so I had to wear my older sister's.
You say that about wearing your sister's clothes, but in all honesty my wardrobe was at least half boys clothes. What made things worse is the fact that the next siblings up from me are a set of twin boys. My mother liked to dress them in matching outfits so I inherited two of everything. I started high school with two of the ugliest winter coats I think I have ever seen. .
• Portland, Connecticut
It looks to be very utilitarian and yes, some memories do make us laugh and cry at the same time.
It's very useful, unfortunately I could easily fill one up 4 times its size .
I need to get a sewing box.
Look in thrift stores, new ones seem to be ridiculously expensive at the moment.
@Gillygirl (14802)
• Sutton, England
That's a lovely sewing box it must hold a lot of items. I had a bag like yours for school.
It holds a lot, but not nearly as much as I would like it to hold .
That's a very professional sewing basket in my opinion. And the smaller one that your mother made for you looks very smart, she must have had a great imagination, too bad that the other kids didn't recognize it as such, but kids will be kids.
Kids will be kids, and sadly "middle" school aged kids can be particularly brutal.
@carebear29 (22650)
• Wausau, Wisconsin
I am taking up sewing when we move as a new hobby on the side
It's a practical skill to learn. Have fun with it!