January is Going Out Like a Lion

I know that the actual saying has to do with March, but today is the last day of January. And the weather is cold and windy and we had snow over night last night. Snow has been a rare occurrence over this winter. But we had a little bit last night. And some of the country buses are cancelled, but that's another story. I'm sure that there will be a lot of people out of work today as they will be staying home with their children, because some parents fail to realize that they can go to work, and their kids can go to school, some days, like today, they may have to drop them off if the buses are cancelled. January is going out like a lion, and in a couple of days the furry little groundhog will give us his prediction on when spring will arrive-although I think that we all know already.
We do not have the groundhog to predict when spring will arrive, but the 2nd day of February is Candlemas Day. Now, according to our superstition, if it snows or it rains, this means the spring will NOT arrive soon. The weather channel predicted heavy rain for Thursday, the winter is here to stay.
February is a short month but we usually really feel the effects of winter during that month in our area.
@Juliaacv Same here, February is a hard month.
@LadyDuck And its here now, let's see what this month ha in store for us both!
@fishtiger58 (30337)
• Momence, Illinois
Windy and cold here too, January sure went fast.
It warmed up nicely today and all of the snow is pretty much melted now. I do not know where January went to.
@fishtiger58 (30337)
• Momence, Illinois
@Juliaacv I wish it would warm up here or at the very least the winds would calm down, We had 40 degrees yesterday but felt like the 20's because of the winds.
@fishtiger58 Its mild and sunny here this afternoon. The house we were going to view to buy sold in the last 36 hours, so we're back to searching still.
Today it is going out like a lamb for us. The weather is quite nice this morning though a bit chilly. They were calling for snow today but now they are saying tomorrow. There hasn't been much snow at all this winter..SO FAR!! You never know what is around the corner. Have a good day!
@Bluedoll lol that is true but compared to what it is usually like in January I will take it!!
It warmed up nicely as the day progressed today, and its al melted already.
@Juliaacv oh good. We had a beautiful day. Everybody was walking around with just sweaters. It felt like spring.
Going out fairly tame here, we have yet to have a snow that lasted longer than 24 hours on the ground and looking at 47 F/8 C for today's high temp
We are expecting a cold day today, I don't think that it will be above freezing. And the snow is that fine light stuff because its so cold out. And its blowing........ugh, and of course I am the worst winter driver IN the entire world-oh well sucks to be on the roads when I'm out there today!
@Juliaacv It isn't unusual for us to get snowstorms in February or even March on occasion, but so far this year we've had mainly rain.
Our winter has been mild so I'm guessing we've got more winter ahead. Is winter ever mild in Canada?
Yes, in our little corner of Southwestern Ontario its been very mild, near 40F here today. So far we've had very little snow, but February is typically the worst month for the snow, so we'll have to see what the next 4 weeks have in store for us.
We have a pretty decent day today for the first day of Feb. Sun is shining and its above freezing and the bonus is no snow
Here as well, I love the weather today! I have some flowers that I plucked out of some outdoor planters last summer, I didn't save the tags for them and couldn't remember the name of the flower, yet so beautiful, and this week they began to bloom. They look like miniature carnations, so pretty.
@sueznewz2 (10066)
• Alicante, Spain
I've not heard of the ground hog spring prediction...but I hope it's a good one...
Its a big thing over here. It makes people realize that winter won't last forever.
@WriterAI (5220)
• Bulgaria
It is cold and snowy in Bulgaria too.
Hopefully warmer days and sunny skies will be with us soon!
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.Yes it is and glad.It has been a long month
I agree!
I think that Al Roker had it right this morning when he said, of course he is going to see his shadow he is surrounded by all these lights lol
@nomus24g (23733)
Yes..it zoomed past so steadily
Yes it has!
@Ujjwal96 (13)
You write pretty well. I can absolutely picture the scene. Everything becomes even more beautiful with snow on it ! Hope everyone is safe over there.
The snow is mostly melted now, it warmed up during the day today.
It's a cold one here to and possibly snow on the way. I hope not.
Take care, you have had more then your fair share of snow in your area this year.
@haazaah (225)
• Pakistan
Here is snowing in murree..., january is a month of snow in murree..
I have never paid attention to the little groundhog.