A Well Trained Animal

Greece
There is much pleasure in having an obedient pet. Dogs in particular are a source of much delight and easy to train because they are animals that want to please. I had Roxy, a Border Collie who was very clever and a joy to me. She learned so much so quickly, she lived to a good old age and I missed her terribly when I lost her. Now I have cats and I have tried to train them with the following results. Minnie sleeps on my chair, leaves after I produce breakfast and does not return until her evening meal. After which she settles on my office chair for the night. Lucy sleeps on my bed and wakes me up at 5 a.m. by thumping the living room door which rattles. I get up, let her out, she returns later for her breakfast and sleeps most of the day on the back of the settee. After dinner she goes back to my bed. Toby will only sleep on a special cushion on a cupboard in the kitchen. He has breakfast and I let him in and out all day. He comes to eat his food and anyone else’s that he can find, finally returning to his cushion where he waits for a little cluster of biscuits on his cushion to eat before he settles down. They are all very happy cats, very pleased with their comfortable lives and the well trained animal who looks after them and meets all their needs.
What a beautiful cat. Yes cats are like that. We don't train them they train us and we wouldn't have it any other way.
• Greece
The clever thing is that we don't realise what they are doing to us until it is too late.
@41CombedaleRoad lol ain't that the truth but they know what they are doing!! It is all in their plan from the moment we bring them home!
• Greece
@Happy2BeMe Little schemers that they are....But at least they do meet some of our plans too, they sit on our laps and allow us to pet them and they make their little musical purrs for our pleasure while we do so.
@Gillygirl (17436)
• Sutton, England
My two cats train me not to read a newspaper when they want attention. They are the bosses.
• Greece
do they attempt to tear it out of your hands?
@Gillygirl (17436)
• Sutton, England
@41CombedaleRoad Yes they are little terrors.
• Greece
@Gillygirl I think that we have underestimated the mental ability of cats, they look so sweet that we confuse it with innocence. In fact they are little schemers on the quiet.
@Ronrybs (7540)
• London, England
There's no denying it, cats are excellent trainers. Mine is a great job!
• Greece
Well trained humans are a joy for them to live with.
A handsome kitty. That's funny: The well trained animal who looks after them!
• Greece
She is beautiful, it is the long white fur around her neck and her pretty little pink nose that does it for me.
@redurnet (1588)
I enjoyed reading your post. I have had lots of dogs in my lifetime and they've all been well trained although some of them were a bit more independent than others. I have a male dog right now, a springer spaniel, and he is very confident. He always tells me when he wants to go out and have a retrieving session and he even tells me where he wants to walk every day! I have always liked cats too but none of the dogs I've had seem to like them!
• Greece
Dogs are possessive of us and also jealous of any other animal that might take over. That is probably why the dogs do not like them...
Ahhh yes, cats do turn the tables on us don't they..... I too am well trained and the cat even managed to train her dog.
• Greece
Only one of our cats has managed to train the dogs, to the extent that she sleeps on a chair with them paying homage on the floor beneath her. One hisses at them as she advances and the other has a close relationship with one of them who washes his face for him every morning.
Not all cats will accept a dog in their lives @41CombedaleRoad but when raised together they usually adapt.
• Greece
@rebelann We had the cats first, from kittens, the dogs came a little later but before the cats were really grown up. So they adapted very well really.
Lol! But I know you love every moment of it! Mine has me very well trained as well.
• Greece
It is hard not to love them, they are after all dependent on us otherwise they will have to go and find their own meals and mice are not as easy to find as a plate of meat on the floor.
@41CombedaleRoad . Love those babies!
I've had lots of cats but none of them were ever trained but they had me trained very well Now I have two dogs who are perfectly happy to show appreciation for the least little head pat, tummy rub or biscuit treat.
• Greece
By comparison with cats dogs are much more easily satisfied. Also they want to please us, whereas cats seem only to want to please themselves.
I dont like the fur.
• Greece
The fur is the best part of having a cat, perhaps you have never stroked one and felt the fur vibrate with the purr.
Yes, we are the well trained animal to our pets. Yet we love them and wouldn't think to do other wise.
• Greece
Perhaps we get some satisfaction from knowing that we are keeping them happy after all.
@41CombedaleRoad Absolutely. After all their mission in life is to love us and make us happy - that's the purr you hear whenever they are near, or that velvet soft body hugging your legs. Dogs also have their way of showing their affection for us in the wag of their tales and the smiles they give, and always waiting for us at the door.
• Greece
@just4him I have a friend who was widowed last year, she has two dogs and it is a great comfort to her that when she arrives home she is always greeted by the dogs. It takes the chill out of entering an empty cold house.
@bluesa (15115)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@41CombedaleRoad , it is amazing how well they can train us. My dog Daisy, tells me just what she needs and when. :)
• Greece
And I expect you give her immediate attention!
@bluesa (15115)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@41CombedaleRoad absolutely! It's just the way it is :)
• Greece
@bluesa the problem is that if we don't give them the required attention for food or to open a door then they make our lives a misery until we do. It's best to just oblige them.
@sueznewz2 (10161)
• Alicante, Spain
Yes it is nice to have well trained animals...we are not quite there with our little dog...he's a work in progress...lol
• Greece
what kind of a little dog is he? Some little dogs are hard to train but I am sure you will win him over in the end because he will want your approval.
@sueznewz2 (10161)
• Alicante, Spain
he's a patterdale terrier @41 Combedale and 2 and a half years old...
• Greece
@sueznewz2 That is a new breed of terrier to me. He is a teenager I guess in doggie terms.
@ccdiane (151)
• Cheyenne, Wyoming
Pets are so wonderful to have around, especially for people who live by themselves. I too, have a 7 year old tiger striped cat, named Tigger. Though he's not with me right now. Best thing about him, he became my greeter cat. Anyone who would come to the door or come in to visit my sister and I, he just had to meet them personally. He never shied off from anyone or went and hide like me sister's cat would do. Though right now he's with my brother and his wife in Nebraska. I'm hoping to have him back with me before too long. Finding a place that would allow even one pet is very slim.
• Greece
Oh I do hope that you find a place soon because a cat like Tigger is a great companion to have around you and at 7 years old he has been with you for a long time. He must miss you too.
@ccdiane (151)
• Cheyenne, Wyoming
@41CombedaleRoad Yes, as a matter of fact, I did find a place last weekend. However, it is going to take a lot of effort to actually get moved into it as soon as I can, because of it being for sale. But what the owner wants for it, it's not bad considering where it's at and does have quite a bit of updates done to it. I like it because it will give me an opportunity to learn how grow a garden with a bit of country to the scene. Sooner I can purchase it, the sooner Tigger will be back with me. Well, I"m also thinking of going ahead and bring my sister's cat back too. Now that she is looking to get out of the nursing home and in a place more like home. Then it would make it much better for her if I already had her cat to be with her. She's a beautiful calico with a very loud purr.
@nanette64 (17977)
• Fairfield, Texas
@41CombedaleRoad . I know exactly what you mean. We should have a framed certificate on our walls stating that we have passed "The Training Class".
• Greece
Sealed with a paw mark!
@nanette64 (17977)
• Fairfield, Texas
@stbrians (15893)
• Kakamega, Kenya
Obedient pets are good. I hate stray ones
• Greece
Stray ones have a reason for straying. No animal will walk away from a regular meal, a kind word or a bed to sleep in at night.
@ketyv12 (273)
• Bat Yam, Israel
Beautiful cat!
• Greece
She is the queen of the house and of my heart!
@magallon (18116)
The cat in the picture is cute and lovable. I also have a pet cat before. He stays inside the house all day. He is fearless that all mice have nowhere to run from him.
• Greece
You have a cat that earns his food.
You have a wonderful group of kitty cats to enjoy!!! They have trained you well!! Molly, a Chow/Shepherd mix, has attitude due to her Chow Chow part, and that makes for a dog who listens most of the time, but at times can be quite stubborn. We bow to Molly's wishes more often than not due to her cuteness factor.
• Greece
A dog that listens is much better than one which barks! I didn't know about Chows and their attitude,
@sugartoes (42769)
• Greencastle, Indiana
I have 7 dogs so yeah, I have 4 Aussies 2 boarder collies 1 pit bull & all raised from babies so I know what it takes to raise a pet to be a nice house pet to deal with I use to have cats as well too.
• Greece
I had a border collie too, it was more like having a small child she was so intelligent. Understood so many words, did so many tricks plus a few of her own. No dog I have had since has matched her.
It sounds like everything works as a science.
• Greece
It is just nature at work and the need to survive in a world not of their choosing.