Will Elvis ever die, really go away?

Pixabay free image
Eugene, Oregon
On the way home from the Oregon coast yesterday, we passed a casino just outside Florence, OR. There was a big sign by the driveway saying "January Is Elvis Impersonators Month." (I can't imagine sitting through more than one) As we drove on, we mused about how long Elvis impersonators and his music would be around. That made me wonder about how many there are. It is hard to pin down, but one site said 84000 around the world! What? They are even in other countries? There were 198 available and represented by agents in Las Vegas in 2011, a Vegas site tells me . We had a pretty good one, Hawaii born, locally. He looked and sounded the part. He is still around too, Google tells me. Elvis was born on January 8, 1935 and has been "gone" now 40 years in August. But he is still around in his music and his impersonators, and oh yes, wax museums. Have you ever seen the real,when he was alive, Elvis or an impersonator?
I have seen quite of few impersonator.they are good.Alive,doubt it.lol
• Eugene, Oregon
I did not mean to imply that the old guy is actually alive, but am surprised at how many impersonators there are.
@Ronrybs (7302)
• London, England
I am sure there was an episode of Babylon 5, set in the 2270s or thereabouts, where a ship load of Elvis impersonators arrive. I've never seen seen an Elvis impersonator, not really a big fan
• Eugene, Oregon
Nor am I, but a woman I was dating dragged me along, the guy was pretty good.
@Ronrybs (7302)
• London, England
@JamesHxstatic I only liked a couple of his songs, but think there is only one in my collection. I wonder if there will still be impersonatiors when the generations that knew him, so to speak, are no longer around
• Eugene, Oregon
@Ronrybs That is what I wondered too. Will Graceland be torn down and a McDonald's be built?
@Gillygirl (17277)
• Sutton, England
No I don't believe Elvis is still alive. I have seen a very good impersonator.
• Eugene, Oregon
I know he is not alive, except through all those impersonators and his music. I was never really a big fan.
@Gillygirl (17277)
• Sutton, England
@JamesHxstatic I wasn't a big fan either.
• Eugene, Oregon
@Gillygirl I did see a couple of movies (GI Blues for one), but never bought a record of his.
The longevity of everything Elvis depends on new generations discovering and being interested. His "generations" are aging and who knows if there will be a market for impersonators once Elvis fans are gone. There will always some new fans but eventually Elvis will fade especially since millennials in general reject anything concerning the past and don't care about him or much of anything else except the now now now and the new and what they can put on Facebook.
• Eugene, Oregon
You have it figured out correctly, @JohnRoberts.
@jhechorain (1218)
• Susanville, California
He is a legend, his name will never die.
• Eugene, Oregon
Hmmm, I wonder, when all of us who knew his music are gone.
• Susanville, California
I wonder as well but I think his name will live on. I don't know about all of the trends of dressing up like him etcetera. It will be interesting to see.
• Eugene, Oregon
@jhechorain I suspect he will end up in crossword puzzles and trivia questions in maybe 50 years.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
My foster mother's son bought her a ticket to see Elvis when he came to Spokane. It was a front row ticket. She was in her early 70s at the time. So here she was, an older lady sitting in the front row. What does Elvis do? He comes down off the stage and sits on her lap! Boy, was she ever excited when she told me about it. As far as me, I have never seen him or any impostors other than on tv.
• Eugene, Oregon
Wow, what a treat for her that was. My mother became sort of obsessed with Jerry Lee Lewis in her later years and his "double cousin " Jimmy Lee Swaggart, (one of those TV evangelists that got caught with his pants down in the wrong place). My sister took her to see "the Killer," as Jerry Lee liked to call himself, in southern Calif and mother was pleased beyond belief to meet him.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
@JamesHxstatic Isn't there some connection between Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis? It seems like I had read the two were second cousins or some such thing.
• Eugene, Oregon
@RichardMeister No, you may be thinking of Jimmy Lee the fake preacher. My mom watched him religiously and could not believe it when he fell from "grace."
@themrs (158)
Elvis is a house hold name in my family, I was not even born when this Elvis guy came along, but My older family members loves his music. So as a kids i learned to love Elvis's music too and now that i have kiddo I play Elvis for them and the seem to like it.
• Eugene, Oregon
Interesting. I played "doo-wop" when my daughter was a baby and I put her to bed.
@themrs (158)
@JamesHxstatic My mom was always playing A Big Hunk O Love and Return to Sender, but my favorite Elvis song is Suspicious Minds
• Eugene, Oregon
@themrs Oh, "Why torture me," is a line I recall from that one. It had a good rhythm too.
I've only seen some impersonators on TV. We have them in Australia too. Some are pretty good.
• Eugene, Oregon
Amazing to me that there are so many and in so many places too.
@JamesHxstatic I can't think of any other impersonators really but I guess there are some. We have tribute concerts here but they don't try to look like the original singer.
• Eugene, Oregon
@JudyEv Yes, there are many tribute bands here making the rounds of casinos mostly.
I had a boyfriend for awhile that could sing like him and had that side smile like Elvis had. That is about as close as I ever got. My BFF is such a fan. Has records, plates, etc. I sure enjoy listening to his music and some impersonators are very good.
• Eugene, Oregon
I was not a big fan, but he made a huge impression while he was around and is still revered by many.
@JamesHxstatic .....He is the King.
I like Elvis's songs and movies and he is one of the reasons why I say I would have liked to be a teenager in the fifties. Elvis may be no longer here but he has left a great legacy. Just imagine, 84,000 impersonators around the world! Most of them I am sure, get paid for what they do and they can provide for their families.
• Eugene, Oregon
I also read though that demand for them is down and I hope most have day jobs.
@JamesHxstatic I hope so too. The novelty will wear off eventually.
My girlfriend saw Elvis. It was her first concert. That's kind of hard to top m
• Eugene, Oregon
What a great thing for a first concert!
It isn't overstated to say that it is a wonder in music field for a singer to still have so many impersonators after he has passed away for about 40 years.
• Eugene, Oregon
Truly, it is quite phenomenal. Thanks for reading!
@FourWalls (12903)
My tenth grade math teacher saw his last concert, at the Hoosier Dome in Indianapolis. She spent an entire class session telling us about the show. I only saw him on TV. I've never intentionally seen an Elvis impersonator.
• Eugene, Oregon
What a math class that was!
The king will live on forever as long as kids can still hear his music.
• Eugene, Oregon
Maybe so, but that music will get hard to find eventually.
• Riga, Latvia
I once saw an impersonator who was so good I though Elvis had risen from the grave lol. Anyways take a look at this. I didn't know there were so many
Into the barren wasteland of late August and early September comes this week’s sole new wide movie release, and you’re forgiven for knowing nothing about it. It’s called The Identical, and it is ki…
• Eugene, Oregon
I will take a look at that in a bit. Our local guy has played Vegas and Branson, MO as well and has website, so I guess he is doing okay.
I never saw Elvis in person, and have only seen impersonators on TV.
• Eugene, Oregon
I never saw him either and have only seen the one impersonator who was quite good.