Am I A Private Person

Photo – Me, taken by a friend
Preston, England
Am I A Private Person? I am too much of a loner to be really private. I have few if any dark secrets. For many years I have openly, candidly discussed my employment issues, my alienation from my family and my strange cult experiences in the 1980’s. If anything my often direct open declarations of my thoughts and feelings can hit people like high-voltage. Many people end up feeling wary if not fraid of me, especially people in positions of authority. I do tend towards very long intense periods of introspection which can leave me detached from the people around me and I can switch in an instant to wild displays of extrovert public activity, and performance bordering on exhibitionism. My daily online diary pages reveal me very candidly to the public and it isn’t that I hold much back, it is just that with me what you see is what you get. I am selective in that I skirt over the real trivia of what colour socks I have on or what I ate for breakfast, unless they are out of the ordinary for me. I like solitude rather than privacy in that I cherish peace, quiet and minimum distraction from the outside World. I prefer a near monastic reclusive hermitude existence to the pandemonium of crowds. I can be alone without feeling lonely for long periods of time. I would cope well in solitary confinement if thus imprisoned. I can put my thoughts and feelings in order if left to my own devises, but I welcome and love the company of my friends too. There are no ‘Private-keep out’ signs around my personality or psyche. Arthur Chappell
I think many people are quite complex characters underneath whatever facade or non-facade that they show to others.
@sugartoes (42466)
• Greencastle, Indiana
@JudyEv this is someones LIFE he is playing with, that SURE the HE!! don't make it right to do her that way.
@inertia4 (27713)
You have a lot of the same qualities I have. But looking at the bigger picture, we are older now. So we do see things way different than years ago. I too like solitude. But there are times I need human interaction. That keeps us fresh and alive. I don't mind being alone for long periods of time either. I think it makes me feel good. But I do go through some bored times as well. And that could be trouble for people like us.
@sugartoes (42466)
• Greencastle, Indiana
@inertia4 being here is ALL the human contact I need to be content cause I feel surround by LOTS of friends to chat with all day LONG.
@inertia4 (27713)
@sugartoes That's true. But we all still need some time with actual humans. It does help.
@sugartoes (42466)
• Greencastle, Indiana
@inertia4 then I must be the strange one cause the less humans I'm around the better I feel.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
I think we all have different sides to our personalities. I can be an extrovert and love company. Then like you I want solitude.
@Morleyhunt (20704)
I'm an introvert who has constantly put herself in a position where I need to be an extrovert. Hours of solitude are not a hardship.
@scheng1 (24742)
Probably private in face-to-face communication, but definitely not that private when it comes to cyberspace. Many of us are like that. We have a side shown to family and friends, and another side visible only through forums and blogs.
@sugartoes (42466)
• Greencastle, Indiana
@scheng1 I'm not catching what your saying, maybe you can elaborate more or explain what your saying where I can understand it.
@scheng1 (24742)
@sugartoes I mean the way you communicate to your colleague, friends, family and online friends are all different. They will each see a side of you that others do not see.
@sugartoes (42466)
• Greencastle, Indiana
@scheng1 you are so right, specially when I'm in a BAD MOOD
well said this is your feelings there.Nothing wrong with that.
@sugartoes (42466)
• Greencastle, Indiana
@amadeo I don't wish bad on ANY ONE but when someone does as HE has done to her that's when ALL BETS are OFF in my book sorry to say. I'm so hurt & mad & POED at how he can do such a cruel thing I hate him.
@pgntwo (22458)
• Carthage, Tunisia
Sounds OK to me...
There are times that I totally isolate myself, even though every psychiatrist and therapist I've ever had tells me not to do it.
• Preston, England
@teamfreak16 I don't feel my isolation periods are damaging to me though I see how they can be in some situations nd circumstances - take care
@PainsOnSlate (20508)
I have never been an open book but looking back I think I probably am. Altahough there are things I would not share on line. For privacy and security...Solitude is important to me too. If we are comfortable in our skin life is good.
@mawdest (1507)
• Orillia, Ontario
I can relate to you well my friend! I never knew you had "strange cult experiences in the 1980's" and also sorry to hear that you have been alienated from your family, that is never a good feeling, I can't relate on that completely. Anyways, thanks for sharing!
Wow very interesting specially the cult experience thing
@ridingbet (59365)
i was once an introvert, but now, i am happy to have colleagues and students so young to be my children.
I am a loner and I am very private. It's not that I don't necessarily want to tell people things, but that I just have no need to. I am quiet, shy, introverted, anxious, nervous, generally content, fairly happy, paranoid, manic, neurotic and physically exhausted by human interaction. We are all complex characters. You sound positively normal to me!
and you understand and know yourself, many people, myself included, I dont think have completely gotten to that point
Its my idea that you need spiritual and emotional fortification,...
@franxav (5632)
The last paragraph reflects me well.
@sugartoes (42466)
• Greencastle, Indiana
that's the same way I am I rather be in my own little world & be just content as anything I love being in my own place.
@sabtraversa (13331)
We are quite similar, I would say you're still an introvert. It sounds like you love interactions but you can easily get tired and you need to recover by being alone for some time. And that's the same for me, solitude heals me somehow. But then we're humans, we need people in our lives. I also tend to keep my feelings to myself and not reveal much, I'm honest and I'd rather be quiet than telling a lie. So I'm more introvert than you.
You are Arthur is who you are and you revealed it here and if people cannot accept that is who you are then they will not have anything to do with you. I am cool with what you said. You are entitled to be who you are. Thank you Arthur for sharing that with us and revealing to us who you are.
• Preston, England
Thanks @Hannihar much appreciated
@arthurchappell Arthur, you are so welcome. That is a brave thing to do to share yourself right out there and those that accept and see you for you will understand. I admire you for doing that. I accept you for who you are also.