Would you buy a mattress or pillow used?

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
There is a commercial on the talk radio station to which I listen. It is from one of the many mattress stores that there seem to be these days.It hs been talking about how they sell the best mattresses a person can buy, This ad tells the person who is thinking of buying a mattress from them, can try out the mattress. By this I mean that the consumer can buy a mattress then they have up to 120 days to return the mattress if they find they do not like it with a small processing fee, Then there is another commercial that is new to me today. The pillow is not new to me because almost all of the on-air personalities have done an ad saying how great this pillow makes their sleep. But today heard one of the personalities say that you can order the pillow and if it doesn't give you the best sleep of your life then, this, too you can send back to them after using it. Now the question is would you if you found the perfect mattress at a store and found out it was used would you buy it? What about a pillow, not knowing if your new pillow was used and sent back and repackaged and sent to you, would that make you think twice about buying one?
I have purchased used beds. They had to be stain free and odor free before I bought them. Years ago you considered yourself fortunate to purchase a used bed that was in good condition. Motels often sold their old beds for a good price. Now with all the concern over bedbugs, I would be a bit more reluctant to purchase old beds. And as to pillows, I'll take my chance and buy new. If I don't like them, I'll give them to my kids.
@elusivebutterfly Yes, I would worry abut bedbugs too, As for pillows I never plan on buying another one even those mine is over 20 years old but is the most comfortable pillow in the world. Are they allowed to resale them if there is a stain or odor something I never thought about as a condition for a used matress? Yuck!
@Marty1 some states restrict the sale of used mattresses and box springs. Doubtful they can resell stained merchandise either. However they can recycle them.
@Marty1 that's an itchy topic.
No, I will pass on a used mattress or pillow.
@paigeaI am with you on the situation!
@Platespinner (18051)
I wouldn't buy a used mattress or pillow, and I'm betting any mattresses or pillows that get returned after the 120 days aren't then resold. They are probably recycled and written off as a loss to the company. They're betting that they're mattress or pillow is so good that you won't return it, and I imagine that they get few returns, else they wouldn't be able to afford to make that offer for very long.
@platespinner You are so smart. I just assumed bring it back they resale it. Like they do clothes. Thank you for explaining!
@UncleJoe (8057)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@Platespinner yes, recycling is cheaper than frivolous lawsuits. Either way, these companies will not lose a nickel.
@UncleJoe I am all for recycling. Didn't know a matttres ca be recycled. I hope those companies see the error of their ways as it jsut is not right to do that
NO, a mattress and a pillow must be new for me. There are too many diseases that people can get from a used mattress, not to mention bed bugs.
@ladyduck I thought about diseases besides bed bugs, but do you know what kind of diseases one can get from a used mattress?
@Marty1 Used mattress can have dust mites and usually are full of mold or mildew that are an obvious health hazard. They can have germs and bacteria from perspiration of the previous owner, not to mention that there are skin diseases (like scabie) that are transmissible.
@LadyDuck Thank you for telling me. I don't think i will ever buy a new mattress like my sister asked to buy for me. I am not taking a chance on the conditions you mentioned!
I sure hope they are steam cleaned. I would be worried about bed bugs and other things.
@happy2beme I wonder if steam cleaning would get rid of bed bugs? I am not quite sure what steam cleaning is and how it is done.
@Marty1 oh no that wouldn't get rid of them it takes more then that. That is what concerns me because if they steamed cleaned them it may appear not to have bed bugs but then they would start laying eggs. They would be inside the mattress. Ewwwww
@Happy2BeMe Isn't there a test or way to tell if the bed is infected wth bedbugs. The whole idea makes me agree on eeew!!
@IvySaysHi (4206)
Yes it would absolutely make me think twice. I would most likely not buy it because I have gone through the awful experience of having scabies and i would not risk getting them again by getting a used matress
@ivysayshi Sorry you had to go through scabies. Can bedbugs give you scabies as that was what I was thinking every tine I hear the commercial?
@IvySaysHi (4206)
@Marty1 no bedbugs are actual insects where as scabies are a mite that burrow into your skin
@IvySaysHi I didn;t know there was a difference between insects and mites I thought mites were an insect.Thanks for clearing things up for me!
I would surely hope they'd steam clean the mattress. I don't like the idea of used mattresses and pillows, unless I know the person. Why not, like many stores do, have models that you can lay on in store. Perhaps appointments wherein you can lie on said mattres (in store) for a 30 minute interval?
@FayeHazel (10665)
Oh no, I don't think I would take a chance on a second hand mattress or pillow
@fayehazel I am on your side of the problem.
@lokisdad (4307)
I am guessing that they have them professionally cleaned and treated for any bugs and dirt etc however I would not want them if I was going to buy something like a mattress or a pillow I want it new and I am not knocking those who sell it used but you should let people know that they are used before selling it to them and letting them think they are buying something new.
@lokisdad I agree with you, I want it new even if it was professionally cleaned!
@lokisdad (4307)
@Marty1 Yeah there are some things I worry about and I want them new and the very least that they can do is not lie to me and sell me something used as new never used and I am paying full price.
@lokisdad (4307)
@Marty1 You are probably right. As you said they should at least keep them separate so that there is no confusion.
This is a tricky one. I guess I wouldn't mind too much as I sleep on 'used' mattresses in hotels and the like.
@judyev Good point! I could see hotels but from stores that is another question altogether!
@Marty1 That's true. It's not the same as hotels.
@JudyEv Yes, but now that I think about it, it is even scary sometimes in hotels When my parents were alive we were staying in Gettsyburg for one night, so my sister picked the cheapest hotel and WOW! Nobody bathed as there was a roach in the tub! WE were hesitant to go to sleep on the beds! Never went t a cheap place after that! My sister picks the Hilton Hotel when she goes away!
NO NO NO - absolutely not. I am not into used things I prefer new and I certainly would never buy a used mattress. I get the creeps just thinking about what is probably on a used mattress. Sleeping on a mattress in a rental for a few nights grosses me out a little but I could never buy one for daily use.
@abbygreenhill The same way as I feel! Used personal items are a no-no in my world! I get grossed out in hotels with their mattresses as I don't think I have ever been in a rental. MY sister has taken us to some of the most expensive hotels, but I still feel that way about their mattresses!
@Marty1 WE stay in rental cottages/cabins several times a year..I deal with it....But I don't buy used anything...including cars.
@AbbyGreenhill I don't go on vacation too often. Haven't been on vacation since the 1990's! I did visit my sister overnight for what was supposed to be a weeks visit but left the day after Christmas as her dog tried to eat Marty hamster! Yikes, I had nightmares for days, and Marty was a bit upset!
No, I would never buy a used or refurbished mattress or pillow.
@dianneN that is great to know there are others like me!
No, would not buy a used mattress or pillow.
@marlina Playing the devil's advocate I wonder what would you do if you some young and very poor student or just down on your luck and really needed it would you try one to see if you could tolerate sleeping on one? I would answer that myself as I would sleep on the floor before I would attempt to sleep on something somebody slept on before me!
@Marty1 Thinking like you on this one.
If I knew it was used, I wouldn't. I'm sure the store isn't going to tell you.
@just4him I agree with you that the store isn't going to tell the truth
@brokenbee (7711)
I wouldn't mind using old mattresses or pillows from my family but if from complete strangers, I don't like to buy it.
@brokenbee I agree on Family member may be Stranger, not a chance!
I'd never buy a used pillow nor a mattress.
@toniganzon I agree with you 100 percent!
Jeepers, I'd want a guarantee that what I bought is new, as for pillows, I get mine from Costco if I need one .... or two. Oh, if a used mattress were really cheap I'd buy it for the pup.
@rebelann That is a good idea to get things from Costco. Are they that much difference in price? I hear from my Aunt and Uncle their prices are fantastic. But alas my sister belongs to Sam's club, so she buys me things from them. I like the idea of getting your pets a mattress, do they have mattresses already and want to replace them or is it just an idea you are which you are thinkiniing ?
I buy a lot of my food there @Marty1 but they are know for carrying items in bulk quantity so it's usually cheaper in the long run. I got the idea of a used mattress from you, I'm not sure I'm going to do that though, no money to spare at the moment
@rebelann So do my aunt and uncle buy a lot of food there. But I don't know how they buy in bulk as it is only the two of them. I don't know how they could eat that much. I will have to ask my uncle who I will see in the morning to take me to a blood test. I am sorry I said were you going to buy a used mattress for your pets as it sounded like the idea was definite!
No specially pillow.
@friendlypink I agree with you on that subject!
@Marty1 imagine those sleeping with saliva drooling lol
• New Delhi, India
They tell it so you are doubtful. But what if you buy something thinking it is new but it is actually repackaged
@amitkokilazdkitya I guess it is just a chance buying things that aren't like mattresses or pillow for hygiene
• New Delhi, India
@Marty1 yep...
A pillow used? Not at all.
@theinvisibleman I agree with you my friend!