The Vacuum Cleaner

Boise, Idaho
While Cami was at Walmart today she got a little vacuum cleaner. A very light one that was only $17.88. We had such bad luck with vacuums. I have a love/hate feeling for them. Gotta have one but they just don't last for us very long. We've had nearly every brand vacuum available down through the years. Cat hair may be the culprit. Maybe we should have gotten the Kirby when the guy came around last summer. I remember my mom had one and used it for everything else besides a vacuum. I have a picture in my mind of her using the Kirby vacuum cleaner to sharpen knives in the kitchen. Always strikes me funny. So, I hope this one lasts a while. I had her get me a little hand broom for me to use in my room. I get crumbs on the floor sometimes since my mattress is on the floor. Do you have this same relationship with your vacuum cleaner?
No but I am a believer in trying stuff to see what works. I also would not put too much trust in any vac that was that cheap. You will not lose out though if it breaks down. That part is good. My mom had a kirby and from a salesman too. Now that is one that is worth over the grand they charge.
Yeah, me either. But she was thrilled and we are having our Housing Inspection on Feb. 16th so we needed one to vacuum the stairs and such. I wish we had wooden floors. The carpet here is ugly.
@celticeagle The good thing is you cna shampoo or remove the carpet. I won't rent any where with carpet. I need to be able to mop. I could not allow shoes ever on my carpet. That is not something I could live with. Do you have a store with a shampoo machine you could rent?
@sharon6345 .....I don't know why Housing has carpet. I didn't want shoes on the carpet here after it was cleaned but that didn't last long. And in the winter with boots it gets dirty. It's about time for another cleaning. We have a company we use. I couldn't clean it myself nor could my daughter with her back issues. I just pay or several months on a professional cleaning.
@sallypup (20561)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Yes I do. I'd gladly give you the Kirby upright that I bought used. If only you were closer.
Those machines take a licken and keep on tickin'.
Many years ago my parents had a Kirby - and I had a cousin with the same name. We were going to LA to visit the family and my parents told me not to make fun of his name...it was hard to keep my mouth shut.
@AbbyGreenhill .....I nicknamed an old boyfriend 'vacuum cleaner' cause his name was Kirby and this helped me remember his name.
We have running fudes with vacuum cleaners...a few years ago we bought a Dyson - I hated it and returned it and swore no more high end vac....so what did we do- bought an Oreck - again hated it...but didn't return it and a few years later (years we didn't use it) sold it for pennies on the dollar. Now we have a Shark which my husband loves, loves so much he does all the vacuuming, thank goodness. We mostly have hardwoods, so a dust mop is my tool of choice!
I wish we had hard wood floors. These carpets are grey and always look dirty to me.
@celticeagle I don't know - if I had a choice I'd like all carpet Ruby's nails which are short has messed up these floors horribly.
@AbbyGreenhill .....Oh, I bet they did. Glad we only have cats. They have torn up the rug near doors because they were scratching and trying to get in. Maintenance fixed them.
• Peoria, Arizona
My mom has bad luck with vacuum cleaners. But it isn't her that kills it, it is when she lends it to people and that is when they break. My mom got a new vacuum cleaner for Christmas and she loves it. But she tries to sweep the floor before vacuuming. Dust is terrible here.
That's happened to us a couple times too. I think for us it is hair in the brush. We have three cats and all of us have long hair.
• Peoria, Arizona
@celticeagle Oof that does sound like a hefty job. Might as well just run a sock over everything first haha I had to do that when I was losing a lot of hair and the vacuum could not pick it up.
@DesirousDreamer ......Some sure do not have good suction.
We had an expensive vacuum cleaner and it does a horrible job. Now a cheap Dirt Devil does the magic much better.
Is n't that weird? We had a small Dirt Devil that lasted about a year.
@celticeagle Yes not always expensive is better. We have a dirt devil as well :)
@infatuatedbby .......Hope you have luck with it.
some vacuums have filters you really got to look for-if they get clogged,they suck. or rather don't suck..one of mine had 3 when i thought it had one. oh man..my mom had a kirby in the 1970's..thousand dollar paperweight-it never did work right..
Yes, they are a headache. We just have to keep cleaning out the brush on the bottom and make sure all the hair is out of it. That is the problem on most we have had. An over abundance of hair. Mom's Kirby worked great. I'd have called the company.
@celticeagle i think she did-several times.i remember parts coming in.
@scarlet_woman .....Many parts. Many things that you can do with it.
@jhechorain (1234)
• Susanville, California
Probably it is the cat hair, unfortunately. It can mess up the works in a vacuum and I hate having to clean those things sometimes. That is a funny picture in my head of a woman trying to sharpen a knife with a vacuum.
Yes, that is what I had stated. Our hair gets wrapped around the brush and is very hard to get off.
We have a central vac and we are not crazy about this one. We had a better one before in our previous house.
I have heard of those. Never had one.
@stbrians (11841)
• Kakamega, Kenya
I hope this ones last
For a little while. It was pretty cheap.
we only have carpet in one room, so ours seems to manage ok
@marsha32 (6780)
Mine clogs up really easily, even right after we've taken it apart and used the shop vac to clean the hoses. I'm thankful for the fact that we pulled out most of the carpeting but still have it in the bedrooms.