Pumpkin's rant of the day: What Do You Think I Do All Day?

United Kingdom
This wasn't intended as a rant but it turned into one! Yesterday, I spent some time with a friend. I call her my best friend but that's not really saying much. We're not particularly close, we've just known each other for over 30 years. She came to mine and we hadn't really made any plans. The conversation went something like this: Me: I was hoping you'd have decided as I hadn't thought about it. Her: You've had all day to think about it. Me: So have you. Her: I've been at work all day. Me: So have I. I know that she thinks half of the work I do is just a hobby, that I don't have to do it, or that I have all the time in the world and can drop everything because I don't work in the same building for a set amount of hours each day. This is the friend whose go-to complaint/reason for not doing things is 'because I work full time'. She seemed to have assumed that a) I hadn't been working and b) that I would have had all day to think about what to do later if I hadn't been working. Anyway, she does appear to be jealous sometimes. We did decide to do something and spent some time chatting. Well, she was doing most of the chatting. She was telling me what I do nowadays. I told her that I was doing one job yesterday morning, and another in the afternoon. When I told her that I also still do writing work, she told me that I don't do what I used to do and that I don't work for other people or do freelance work. I think she wanted those things to be true because then she could justify believing that my writing was just a hobby. While I work doing two part time paid jobs (one as a sighted guide, the other as a private tutor), one part time unpaid job (writing for a local online paper) and freelance work (which includes my own writing because it is part of my work), research for writing work, look after my two children (well, only one child now - who has additional needs) and have previously done these things while also studying, this friend of mine works in an office, answering phones 8-6 Monday to Friday and has no other commitments. So it gets quite annoying when she (and others like her) seem to be under the impression that I don't do anything, even though I've almost always done something. I was also late for my afternoon job yesterday. The reason was out of my control as it was a traffic jam as a result of roadworks. The woman for whom I was working went on and on about that. She said I should have started out earlier. I had already given myself twice as long as it should have taken me to get there. Even if I had been aware of the roadworks, I would, perhaps, have allowed an extra 10 minutes if I could but wouldn't have given myself the extra 20 minutes it took to travel the mile or two. I had to explain several times that I am usually on time (which she already knows) but can't do anything about it if I'm stuck unexpectedly, as she was telling me it would be better to turn up early. Apart from anything else, she is a very selfish person who thinks the world revolves around her. It didn't occur to her that I might not be able to turn up any earlier, despite knowing that I have other work. She doesn't do anything which requires her to be anywhere at a particular time so I don't really know what difference it made that I was a bit late anyway. We went for a drive so she could be nosey at the back of some houses which are being built, then took her dog to the park, then I dropped her off at her friend's. I'd been warned that this woman was selfish and demanding. A previous assistant got me the job and she didn't think I'd last long! It seems that nobody stays very long and the reason is obvious. Instead of asking if you can do something, she tells you. If you have a contract and set hours, etc. then that's fine (within reason) but I was under the impression that I'd be doing Tuesday mornings, Thursday afternoons and odd occasions when other people were off if I could do it. She keeps making a point that she always gives a week's notice (she doesn't) and then expects people to do as she wants. When I've told her I can't do something, she repeats 'well, I've given you plenty of notice.' Yes, if you give me a few weeks' notice then it is plenty of notice. It's also plenty of notice to find someone else when I say I can't do it. She told me there would be some weekend work (which I can't do and wasn't aware of this until she sprung it on me as I was working with her). That's enough of that for now. I could go on but I won't. I have things to do. Just needed to get this out of my system! It's not being helped with some issues at school with Mini (but I won't talk about them here). I'll be back with a positive post later, I think. I'm going to Spellbound (which is a witchy shop with nice people) with my big sister this afternoon. Meanwhile, I'll be doing some exercise (because I've collected all the weight loss shinies I'm going to get so now I'm going for the 'Body Magic' shinies) and get some writing work done. TTFN
Your client sounds very selfish indeed. Do you think you will put up with her from long?
She certainly is. She has a lot of selfish views but the worst so far is this: Her sister suffers from depression since losing her son. My client said she should just get over it. That's the kind of person she is. As it's good money, I'll stay as long as I can (or until my tutoring business or writing work takes off). I've had plenty of people like her in my life so I can put up with her at least until I've saved up for a holiday!
@pumpkinjam Good for you. If it were me, I would see it as one way of getting back at her for being so unkind and uncaring.
Oooh! That's pretty long of a well nega thing you got from. People. Well I guess I can say is that breathe in breathe out... Hehehehe... Everyone of us goes to that cycle of life once in awhile if bless to have a great weekend but if not everyday they gets the same irritating days of their lives. It is best to write it down here. Lot if doctors says it is good to write in a blogsites to relieve the stress. It is so tiring to be with people. Like them. But the important thing we know who we are and we know what we do that it has a purpose and productive. We have different paths what matter most is we are taking our right paths and not tailing to someone. You can do it girl! Just keep on working and di what you love the best as long as you know that it is best and not hurting anyone.
I wouldn't mind if it was once in a while - I can't seem to get away from people like this, no matter how hard I try! I do try to stay positive and writing a rant here helps with that. :)
I will read your next positive post if I see it.