Yikes! Spikes!

I did buy ice cleats for winter walking to prevent a slip and fall due to iced-over sidewalks. Those ice cleats are rather vicious looking. One kick with those ice cleats could do a bit of damage to any person who wishes to do harm to the wearer. Ice cleats will also damage hardwood floors big time if the wearer forgets to remove them before stepping indoors. Since our Chicago suburb has had only one snowfall and no ice or snow for over a month, the ice cleats have not been used. I have used the new boots I bought for walking the dog two times, the traction cleats I have, which are not as heavy duty as the ice cleats, have been used two times, and the new snow blower has been used only once. I bought wonderfully warm mittens, but I have only used those a few times. If I continue to purchase winter attire and winter equipment, I think we will not experience snow and ice during the remaining months of winter. I think I will go out and buy a new snow shovel to keep the ice and snow away until spring.
Good thinking! It has been a very mild winter from what I've heard. Hope it stays that way.
Well, I am going to buy a new ice scarper which I don't need since we have plenty, but the purchase of another just may keep snow and ice away.
@bluesa (14207)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@Corbin5 , it seems it has been working for you, so definitely try to purchase that snow shovel... :)
Yes, I will. May throw in an ice scraper just for good measure!
Thank you for buying all that winter gear and keeping the snow and ice away keep up the good work
Oh, you are welcome. Perhaps after the snow shovel, a new ice scraper.
Deborah, that is the spirit so the snow and ice will not come. I have never heard of ice cleats before. I could have used them growing up in Minneapolis with the horrible winters we had.
Oh yes, those ice cleats would have come in handy for you.
@Corbin5 Deborah, you are right but I never heard of them till now.
@Hannihar We have ice under snow here, and if you cannot see the ice, then slip and fall you will if you are not wearing spikes.
@Platespinner (17046)
If it works, go for it
They really do dig into the ice to prevent falls.
@Corbin5 I meant buying a snow shovel to hold winter off until spring arrives .
@Platespinner Oh. Yep, going to throw in an ice scraper too! We have one, but will buy another to keep the winter away.
@TheSojourner (17306)
I found a pair of things that looked like springs that fit around the foot. I have never used them, and I don't remember where I put the things! Those ice cleats look nasty!
I read that a lot of people use them for ice fishing. I have tried the Yaktrax that have the springs and they work really well.
@Corbin5 I remember the first time I saw ice fisherman. I thought they were nuts!
@CoralLevang Me too!!!
@Madshadi (8922)
• Brussels, Belgium
I am glad that I never had to use those.
Yes, it gets really dangerous out there in winter. We have had neighbors break bones due to slipping and falling on ice.
@Madshadi (8922)
• Brussels, Belgium
@Corbin5 oh! I'm sure there are safer models out there to buy
If you want to be guaranteed do what we did last year, buy a new snow blower, we got almost no snow at all and have never had to have it used.
If I just keep picking up inexpensive items for winter, I may be able to hold off all snow and ice. Worth a try.
@Corbin5 lol I think you are on the right track, I know it worked for us.
Sounds like you're doing your best to prevent winter snow storms in your Chicago suburb.
Yes, so far so good. No snow in the forecast makes this winter so much less work and worry.
@Corbin5 Storm brewing for tonight into tomorrow - rain/ice/snow. Not a good combination.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
Please buy another shovel it may keep bad weather away from the UK too . The ice cleats are handy to have.
Will do!! I will christen the shovel a "universal" one, so that other countries do not have to suffer with snow and ice!
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
@antonbunot (9548)
• Calgary, Alberta
During winter season I put on my winter boots when it is snowing and icy. So far I never slipped . . . I think short stride does the trick when walking along icy roads.
So glad to hear you have not slipped. I have done so two times but was not wearing the cleats. Glad I have strong bones.
@Hate2Iron (7967)
I think that is the trick... buy what you hope that you never have to use. We did that with the snow blower... that one kind of backfired on us lol!!
Well, I think you are in an area now that will not behave nicely no matter what winter gear is purchased.
@quantum2020 (9760)
• Ciudad De Mexico, Mexico
If winter time is not going to be as severe to produce ice and snow for the remaining of this season, at least you´ll have the equipment necessary for next year´s winter season
Yes, I will be all set for next winter.
@PatZAnthony (12871)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
You might have a good idea there! Going to look for ice cleats tomorrow-just in case.
I ordered them online and a pair was only $5. A great buy.
Buy Celsius Sure-Grip Ice Cleats with Buckle-On Spikes at Walmart.com
@hostessman (9757)
• Tucson, Arizona
they did look pretty yucky to me and i am sure would hurt if you got kick with them
They do feel funny when walking with them. But, they do prevent slips and falls on the ice.
Shovel is definitely worth the use specially in that weather. Good thing we don't experience snow over here.
Yes, snow is hard to remove here and it makes driving hazardous.
@Fishmomma (11467)
I am glad your able to use your new boots and even my area can use boots 2016 and 2017. We have seen a lot of rain and if somebody told me it would rain this much I would have just made a trip to Oregon, as they have had unusual weather also.
Boots do come in handy when it rains. Wet, cold feet are so uncomfortable.
@ridingbet (57758)
hope you will use those items you bought for the snow.
Oh yes, even if we don't use them this winter, we will need them for winters to come.
That's a good idea - and those cleats do look quite vicious.
Yes, I think they could do hard to any of the bad guys.
do you have anyway to treat the ice there.Salt etc.
Yes, we have the pet-friendly salt so that Molly and other dogs in the neighborhood do not get real salt on their paws. Luckily, no snow and ice here and I hope it stays away.