What Are The Birds Looking For?

Birds Gathering on my Lawn after Rain
@bagarad (8997)
Paso Robles, California
It's been a rainy day. When I went to check the weather from my back porch about ten this morning, my lawn was full of birds. I went back to get my camera, but, of course, they heard me open the sliding door and flew away. I had to stand there for a few minutes before they came back. I'm not sure what they are looking for. I know the worms often come to the surface when it rains. The ground is soaked and making puddles on the lawn. What do you think the birds are after?
If there are weeds, they look for seeds. The birds look like sparrows to me, they prefer seeds to worms.
@bagarad (8997)
• Paso Robles, California
There probably are a lot of weed seeds in that grass.
@bagarad Yes, there are a lot, look how the weeds spread in a garden.
I suppose it's worms that the birds are hoping to find. You would wonder sometimes though wouldn't you?
@bagarad (8997)
• Paso Robles, California
I would guess that's what they were hoping for.
Probably worms or some other taste treat.
@bagarad (8997)
• Paso Robles, California
If those are sparrows, they might well be looking for seeds. There are lots of dandelions in that lawn, as well as other weeds.
It could be anything but your guess could perhaps be right They could even quench their thirst. I have birds in groups that are seen on trees and on the ground as well.
@bagarad (8997)
• Paso Robles, California
I usually see the birds up on the wires. I do see groups of them on the ground in open fields and by the river.
• New Delhi, India
That must have been good to watch...isn't it?
@bagarad (8997)
• Paso Robles, California
I always like watching the birds and any other critters who visit my yard.
@sabtraversa (10032)
I hope it's the worms. Unless they're thirsty, then water. But you know better than me what's in your lawn. And it's probably greener than mine, too.
Those birds are looking for some yummy worms to eat. You could catch the worms and go fishing.