There Used To Be Manners

Years ago we were always taught not to bother anyone before at least 9am. That meant phone calling them or going over to anyone's house, unless it had been prearranged. How times have changed. This morning, around 6:30 am I was in the kitchen pouring my coffee and my husband's cell phone started going off. And it went off several times, until finally I picked it up and looked at it. His siblings had a group chat thru text yesterday. Two of his sisters were up and finishing the conversation when I heard his phone going off. Where did the time of day manners go to? I wasn't impressed this morning to hear the phone going off constantly like that.
A lot of people do not care about manners anymore, they think that they can say and do whatever comes to mind.
And whenever it comes to mind. And it was such a trivial conversation, not worth all of the noise of the phone beeping so early in the morning.
Manners are a rare thing these days. .I really thing that concern for only one's needs is a common way of thinking these days. Rather selfish.
That need to speak your mind at any hour baffles me, things can wait, it won't be the end of the world.
Rudeness and inconsideration rules the roost from real life to online. It's another consequence of this uber selfish world that now exists.
People just don't have the respect or patience that they used to do they?
@Juliaacv No they do not and it is mainly the millennials.
@JohnRoberts These people were both born in the 1960's and earlier.
I was taught the same thing-never before 9am and I am teaching my children the same thing. Also never after 9pm for calls or visits.
Good rules!
@Juliaacv Thanks, to me it's common courtesy.
did your husband mind it?
No, he didn't like it, it actually woke him up. He put his glasses on and looked at the phone and kind of moaned, so my sisters......
That is very inconsiderate. I would be upset too. Some people don't have manners and just don't care.
I think that the later holds true here, they didn't care about anyone else other then the person that they were chatting with. And it was so crazy, my sister in law is in her late 60's and she has to have a cyst removed next week, and the doctor told her it is rather common in the elderly, and she was freaking out that they referred to her as elderly. She worked in the medical field all of her working days, so I know that she has referred to people her age as the same. I don't know why its different when it is herself.
@Juliaacv I guess she just doesn't think of herself that way. Reality hit her and she didn't like it.
@Happy2BeMe She's so judgemental herself, funny that the shoe was on the other foot here.
@Platespinner (16529)
Look at Facebook. "Polite" doesn't seem to exist anymore.
That's why I don't have an fb account!
@Juliaacv I have one because its a way to keep up with distant family. However, I have been spending less and less time there as most of it has become offensive, both political camps seem to think it is acceptable to be rude to those who see things differently.
@Platespinner The entire site has never appealed to me, even the very name of it, so that is why we never opened up accounts. I can understand keeping in touch with family that live far away, and I do that also, but only thru email as its more private.
Good manners seem not exist anymore, look at people sit at a restaurant, most of them look more at their cell phones that at those sit at their same table. This is rude, very rude.
I blame a lot of that on the smartphones, when we just had cellphones, they were for calling and usually only for emergencies, but these smartphones allow people to go online and message. And there is nothing wrong with either, but when you are out for a nice meal, leave it at home or turn it off.
@Juliaacv I still have a cellphone, my husband has a smartphone, but it has turned the wifi off, he only wants to use it for calls.
@fishtiger58 (30370)
• Momence, Illinois
Those manners are gone it seems. I never call anyone before 10 am and stop calling at night by 10
Good.....we must be kindred spirits when it comes to manners, I'm the very same way!
@fishtiger58 (30370)
• Momence, Illinois
@Juliaacv That's they way my parents were too so I guess I'm like them
That is a bit early unless it has been prearranged. We don't ring before at least 8am depending who it is or after about 8pm.
His sisters can be a bit aggressive at times.
@Juliaacv You'd think it would be common courtesy (and commonsense) not to ring too early or too late. It shouldn't need to be spelled out.
@dodo19 (31996)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
My parents always told me never to call people before 10. It's something that I hope to teach my kids as well. Some people nowadays just don't care about manners.
Its still a good rule of thumb.
• Portland, Connecticut
I guess in a group chat if a few members are up, the conversation goes on no matter what the time. I would have just silenced his phone since he wasn't up.
I thought of that, but that would have been the time that someone important called.
There doesn't seem to be any rules or manners when it comes to cell phones...it's like a 24/7 free-for-all
I still use my rules of common courtesies.
Unless I'm going to work, I don't look at my phone until usually after eight. That is too early, you are right.
I will look at mine before work also, but on my own accord, not because its going off.
@franxav (4753)
I see manners abandoned everywhere.We must bring them back and teach our children manners if we wish to lead civilized life.
Its hard to get the point across to someone 15 years your senior! We just don't respond to those early morning nonsense messages.
I am with you on this There has to be some semblance of discipline in our life.
A few hours later would have been much more acceptable.
They went out the window along with a lot of other things. It is sure a new age. I would turn my phone off.
@sueznewz2 (9736)
• Alicante, Spain
I think some of it is because of the immediacy of the txt.. it sort of removes you from the reality of what you're doing... because I bet they wouldn't dream of actually picking the phone up at that time of day...
i don't think they exist anymore.we got a call from a telemarketer after 8 pm the other day and i was mad as hell.i put it on the answering machine most of the time now.