The Ocean on a Wild Stormy Day

By Val
@valmnz (12758)
New Zealand
In his recent post @TheHorse asked what we find pretty, or was it beautiful? I responded that I find the ocean on a wild stormy day to be something that fills me with incredible beauty. Something about Nature unleashing its full force, sending the waves crashing onto the rocks or onto the shore, gives me more pleasure to look at than the the still blue ocean. Mind you, I say to look at, that viewing being through the window of a building or a vehicle! My husband and I often used to enjoy drives around the Wellington coastline on wild, stormy days. Wellington can be beautiful in the sunshine, but it's quite a different creature in a storm - and I love it! This photo was taken a couple of years ago, on one of the beaches around Wellington harbour after a storm washed up the driftwood. What are your thoughts about wild stormy weather?
I used to live not far from the North Sea. There were often heavy storms. Yes, they have a certain fascination.
@valmnz (12758)
• New Zealand
Wellington has a reputation for stormy weather, as do the west coast beaches near where I live.
@WriterAI (5201)
• Bulgaria
Wild stormy weather is dangerous for people outdoors. It is acceptable to look at through the window of a building. Such weather could damage vehicles and is dangerous for humans in vehicles too.
@valmnz (12758)
• New Zealand
Our wild storms don't quite get that wild most of the time!
@WriterAI (5201)
• Bulgaria
@valmnz I see.
• Pleasant Hill, California
A friend and I ran through the woods in grizzly bear country when a surprise thunder storm hit us in Montana (we thought we were going to play on Grinnell Glacier). Now, it's one of our fondest memories.
I never understood why people don't enjoy rainy days. I find them relaxing and they make me introspective.
@valmnz (12758)
• New Zealand
I really enjoy the beauty of the sea on such days.
@valmnz ......That's nice.
@ptrikha_2 (8303)
Rainy days are great, unless one gets drenched in heavy downpour without umbrella or any raincoat(s).
I love a good storm but like you, I like to be safely tucked away somewhere just looking on.
@valmnz (12758)
• New Zealand
The last time I went to Wellington the coastal ocean was black and angry looking after a storm. The colour was incredible.
@valmnz Sunsets with clouds and an angry sea makes for some great photos.
@ptrikha_2 (8303)
Yes, one ought to be safe in such scenarios.
Well, in a suburb of Chicago, wild stormy weather means a bit of damage now and then. It is a bit scary around here when wild, stormy weather comes our way. Scares the daylights out of the dog too.
@valmnz (12758)
• New Zealand
Ours usually mean strong winds and rain, but not to the dangerous level. However, Wellington did have really bad weather a few weeks ago that damaged buildings and people had to stay indoors - and this is summer here!
• Pleasant Hill, California
Dogs often don't like lightning and thunder. But I do!
I have responded to that post and should have added this to my list too. Yes. Watching the sea roar would indeed be a pretty sight.
@valmnz (12758)
• New Zealand
Our west coast of the North Island is far more rugged than the east coast and watching the waves crash over the rocks is spectacular.
@valmnz I do not remember going to any beach while in New Zealand.
@valmnz (12758)
• New Zealand
@allknowing that is amazing since we have so much coastline!
• Pleasant Hill, California
The driftwood makes me want to examine its grain! I love it too when nature unleashes its wrath. In the Midwest, powerful thunder storms were a delight to me.
@valmnz (12758)
• New Zealand
I don't mind thunder storms as long as I'm inside!
• Pleasant Hill, California
@valmnz Oh yeah. I was inside.
@divalounger (2252)
I have always loved stormy weather! The wild and woolly kind--and when the cean is involved, it is all the better
@valmnz (12758)
• New Zealand
You can still see the aftermath of the bad weather in the photo above. I remember I sat in the car waiting for the rain to stop before I took photos.
@valmnz When I was young I couldn't wait to get to the beach after a storm to pick up driftwood mainly--
I think you ned to stay alert during wild stormy weather because you never know what will happen.
@valmnz (12758)
• New Zealand
Our wild stormy weather seems as if it may different from some here.
• Eugene, Oregon
We spent a memorable three days on the Oregon coast a few years back with three successive heavy wind and rain storms. The surf was about twenty feet from the windows in that house and it was invigorating and a bit scary as well.
@valmnz (12758)
• New Zealand
Love the sound of it!
I don't like it when it storms, but the lightening can be fascinating sometimes to look at.
@valmnz (12758)
• New Zealand
As long as I'm not out in the open!
@Morleyhunt (19750)
I've driven to the lake to see the waves crashing into the break wall. There is sometime beautiful about the wild crashing.
@valmnz (12758)
• New Zealand
Yes, there is!
I love watching stormy weather as well, from a distance. I am not a risk taker and nature can be powerful.
@valmnz (12758)
• New Zealand
I'm not a risk taker at all
My thoughts are that as long as I'm not out in it, it can do what it likes. Nice sunny calm weather is better in my view.
@valmnz (12758)
• New Zealand
For weather yes, for beauty I don't agree.
I'm right on the water and love to watch a good storm from indoors where I feel safe and cozy. For example, from this to this in minutes!
I won't mind watching it from a safe vantage point.
I remember the branches on the beach in Monte-Carlo after the winter storms. I liked it too, especially when the sun came up and the beach and the driftwood were painted in golden tones. I miss the sea.
I think that is what the ocean is like as it gets "angry".Sadly I live far away from the ocean.
I think it's incredible how nature can be so beautiful and so "cruel" at the same time, isn't it?
@WriterAI (5201)
• Bulgaria
It is unpredictable and powerful.
@WriterAI Yeah, totally!
@WriterAI (5201)
• Bulgaria
@TheInvisibleMan And it is stronger than the human beings.
@sueznewz2 (9999)
• Alicante, Spain
Yes I like things like that... the photo is very atmospheric... I don't mind strong winds and lightning and rain... but would not want to be anywhere near a hurricane or anything like that... but I do like to see Ice and snow storms... but do not like the associated danger that comes with these things....