Diary Thursday 2nd February 2017

Photo taken by me ā€“ my 2017 diary
Preston, England
Wrote this and then forgot to post it - doh! A day of mixed fortunes, starting with my fortnightly welfare signing on session. I had a new advisor today who was pleasant enough but he insists that I now start adding the time factors to my documented job searches. It has always been expected that job-seekers spend 35 hours per week, (5 hours a day seven days a week) though until today just listing the number of jobs sought has sufficed. Now Iā€™m expected to also log how many minutes and hours each activity has occupied. I learned that my voluntary work counts towards this time for up to half the hours required (17 and a half hours maximum) and fortunately today I had two hours of such voluntary work to do. From the signing offices I briefly called in the library and then went on to the nearby University by bus (my travel time is inclusive in my job search activity) to give a talk to social-health and well being students on my cult experiences, alongside a Christian lady and a young Sikh gentleman talking about their experiences. About fifty young students listened attentively and we had a fabulous question and answer session too. I was on first and it was lovely to listen to the co-speakers as well. I hope for more such speaking assignments soon. Back home I did some more job searching and settled to writing like this. Arthur Chappell
Sounds like an interesting day you had.
Well, I am glad that also the travel time it is considered as part of your job search activity, as well as the voluntary work. I am sure your question and answer session was interesting.
I'm glad your speaking engagement went well. People on welfare here can work as volunteers too but I don't know the ins and outs of it.
I am glad the volunteer work helps,as for the other, you can just track it and divide it up and be sure it hits an hour or two over the needed, even if it doesnt, they can't tell. I think this is good though, that the volunteer works do help, and I am thinking travel time around searching and doing volunteer stuff does as well?
• Preston, England
@Jessicalynnt yes the travel time always counts which is useful for me
@arthurchappell less time you have to waste on searches that are pointless. I know some searching is good but there comes a point where you have to wait a day or so, for more jobs to be posted and stuff
• Preston, England
@Jessicalynnt exactly, or you are just repeating the same searches over and over
@mythociate (14976)
• Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Do you get paid more-or-less if you spend more-or-less time on each job and/or find more-or-fewer possibilities?
• Preston, England
@mythociate they never pay more but failing to hit the target can lead to sanctions which severely reduce the amount of welfare paid
@mythociate (14976)
• Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
@arthurchappell you mean you have to meet-or-surpass the minimum on BOTH (i.e. if you can look for 'the minimum number of jobs' in less than 'the minimum time,' you have to keep looking for more jobs if you want to get the full payment; or if it takes longer to find the minimum number of jobs ...)
• Preston, England
@mythociate there is no set statement of what they consider the minimum number of jobs - just their agreement or disagreement with how long theythink it took me to find the job leads to apply to that I list any given fortnight - it is very arbitrary annd unscientific
@Gillygirl (17270)
• Sutton, England
I knew voluntary work counted towards job search activity but not travel. It's great that you are able to speak and engage people. I would love to be present at one of your talks.
• Preston, England
@Gillygirl maybe one day i'll get to talk in Sutton
@Gillygirl (17270)
• Sutton, England
@arthurchappell That would be good.
It is completely ridiculous that they expect you to spend so long searching for jobs. Madness.
• Preston, England
@Poppylicious it is crazy - there are not that many jobs to look for
It's cool that they let you count your volunteer work. I'm not sure if they let you do that here or not.
So good to hear your talk went so well. So glad the voluntary work you do counts toward the job-search requirement.
@stbrians (11790)
• Kakamega, Kenya
Fantastic work. You are doing fine. I admire your work