British 60s Mod Era Classic: "To Sir With Love" Lulu (1967)

Los Angeles, California
If Lulu is recalled at all in the US, it for her #1 hit from 50 years ago “To Sir With Love” but in the UK Lulu is an institution with a long and successful career filled with many UK hits. She can belt out a song with soul. The Scottish singer was born Marie Lawrie and at 15, enjoyed her first hit with a cover of “Shout” at UK #7 in 1964. Her big break was being cast in the 1967 movie “To Sir With Love” starring Sidney Poitier as an engineer taking a teaching position at a rough London East End school. Lulu plays Babs, one of the unruly students he wins over. Composed by Don Black (Oscar winner for “Born Free”) and Mark Lindon, “To Sir With Love” was a colossal hit reigning #1 five consecutive weeks in the US. Incredibly the song was not Oscar nominated. Despite the song’s success and Lulu’s voice, she was never heard that much again in the US. Lulu did sing the title track for the James Bond movie “The Man with the Gold Gun.”
Skip navigation Sign inSearch Loading... Close Yeah, keep it Undo Close Watch QueueQueueWatch QueueQueue The next video is startingstop Loading... Watch Queue Queue __count__/__total__ Loading... Find out whyClose Edward Kemp SubscribeSubscribedUnsubscrib
@1hopefulman (19513)
Who is James Bind? I have never heard of him. Just teasing! To Sir With Love was a great movie and a great song.
The ending of 'To Sir, with love' - Thackeray (Sidney Poitier) tears up his letter of acceptance for an engineering job, and decides to stay at the school.
@garymarsh6 (12100)
I don't recall this song but I do recall Shout. She is still going strong here in the UK and still looks amazing for 68! She was married to Barry Gibb at one time!
Wow that's a blast from the past. Haven't heard this song in a long, long time
That song, and the movie too, really did put LuLu's talent out there.
I remember the movie, but not so much the song. After all 50 years have passed
@Fishmomma (11586)
I wish she was touring here, as she is an excellent singer. I have seen To Sir With Love many times, as Sidney Poitier is an excellent actor.
@theBlock (2486)
@JohnRoberts I liked the movie and the song when I was a kid. I still do....
I always liked her voice. Definitely a classic.
@Ronrybs (7075)
• London, England
I am not that keen on the song and have never seen the film, but I do like Sidney Poitier
Lulu could certainly belt out a song. I can still remember that film.
@Shellyann36 (8454)
Before my time but she has an amazing voice!
@LoriAMoore (9604)
I remember that one,