The Day the Falls Stood Still - A Book

I've mentioned that while I'm painting I get audio books from the library so someone can read to me as I play with colors, shapes and brushes. Right now I'm painting slate coasters that my daughter found in my stash of art things and she asked me to paint something on them. She will be home in a week so I am planning to have them done in a couple of days. Not to long ago I did a discussion here about Turning off Niagara Falls. The link I added to the discussion told us that the falls stopped in 1848 because of an ice jam... and will stop in 2019 for repairs on the bridges. I am listening to “The Day The Falls Stood Still by Cathy Marie Buchanan. It is a fictional story that takes place in Niagara Falls and the date of the setting is 1915. I'm enjoying the book. If you like a good love story intertwined with history check out this book and just imagine you are there too, before the big bridges and before everyone had cars. Here is the link to my other post about Turning off Niagara Falls:
Yesterday I ran across someone's post ( from a year ago at least) about Turning off Niagara Falls. Because I live less than 30 minutes from the falls I wondered...
@fishtiger58 (30344)
• Momence, Illinois
I remember that post, my husband and I were very interested and did a bit of research on the subject.
can't figure it out why it didn't open the link here, I've done this before and it worked,
@PainsOnSlate They can copy paste not a biggie.
@AbbyGreenhill I tried to send a copy to JJ @JolietJake but it wouldn't let me, saying this site is not secure???
I hope you are going to show us what the coasters look like.
I will when they are finished
I had never heard about the falls stopping from an ice jam I wouldn't have expected that to happen. I hate listening to audio books but my late husband loved it. I love reading books about local places or by local authors so if I lived where you are I would love to read this fictional book about the falls. I have been to Niagra Falls twice. I am reading a nonfiction book by a local author where I live.
It is true, the American falls have been shut off a couple of time, the Horse Shoe Falls have never been stopped and in the next few years it will be closed again to fix the bridges in the American Falls Park.
@PainsOnSlate The American side wasn't very impressive from what I recall. So the American side is what will be shut off to fix the bridge in 2019?
@shaggin yes but you can still see the Horsh shoe falls...I think...
Every time you talk about slate I think of my parents roof - they are gone now and they did upgrade the roof - but when I was young those slate would come sliding down and hit the ground into a zillion pieces.. Yes show us your creations when done.
I buy used roofing slate. I can buy the new roofing slate but I like the thinness and the acid rain stains on the used slate. Two summers ago I bought a whole roof off a house in Saratoga , I think I paid $100. That comes out to about 25 to 50 cents per sheet (broken sheets 25, whole sheets 50)...the new slate at the roofing companies is about $4 each. In New York and New England slate roofs were and still are popular. The slate on a roof will last around 100 years. I just finished painting so I will let it dry and spray them and then take a photo, I will share them with you and others on mylot. Did you ever play with the broken slate that landed on the ground?
@PainsOnSlate No, I think I played with the slate. I just remember my father complaining about it! So its a cheap material to work with and it lasts forever unless someone drops it .
@AbbyGreenhill I prefer using the old because it has character, and cheaper, The new slate is expensive for me and not as pretty and because its new, its thicker and harder to cut without breaking it...
@syeow1 (4909)
My love story is more interesting then this.i did not have time to right about that..
You should write your story, it will probably a good one!
@syeow1 (4909)
@PainsOnSlate hope so.i will try
This sounds interesting. I have a book, still to read, called 'Too Close to the Falls'. It is a memoir by Catherine Gildiner about her childhood and growing up in Lewiston. Your post has made me determined to read it next. Vince said he enjoyed it.
Thanks for the title, and Lewiston is a place I usually see quite often. The mall I like is there, I get gas in that area and my us bank is there too. haven't heard of the book but will ask at the Library.
@PainsOnSlate I always enjoy reading books that are about an area that I know. Often different places might be mentioned that I recognise.
Can I get it like a regular book?
Yes, just ask your libraian if you can't find it they can get it from another library.
@PainsOnSlate Thank you.
@FayeHazel (17164)
That sounds cool - and I love the art work. I also love audiobooks, that way I can be active while "reading"
It is soothing while I paint, I do enjoy the audio books.
@sueznewz2 (9875)
• Alicante, Spain
I'm glad you enjoy the audio books... I tried a while ago but could'nt get on with them, I also like the sound of your painted coasters... might we get to see a photo of them... ??
Just posted a new discussion with the photo of the coasters.
Thank you for the link there.
You are welcome
Thanks for recommending this one. I do love a novel that has history mixed within!
I am on the last CD now, I'm glad I picked it up.
I read your other post, and I'm glad you've found that audio book to entertain you.
I'm on the last CD now, a really interesting book of another era.