"We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean. But the ocean would be less because of that missing drop."

Black and White Hummingbird
@sabtraversa (13329)
Italy
Mother Teresa's life was controversial, I'm not here to say whether she was good or wicked, but the quote I decided to share today is beautiful, in my opinion. I found it on a charity-related page, it wasn't too hard to guess, I suppose. We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean. But the ocean would be less because of that missing drop. You sometimes think your life and good actions are useless, because you don't see a change, but if we all thought like that, there would be no change at all. Your body is made of cells, if one cell stopped to work properly, you would realize. That's what we call cancer. It is one cell, out of billions, but it can still make a difference. Okay, not the best example, but you get me, right? You're given the chance to do what you can, it's enough to give a meaning to your life and make the world a better place. It can be the smallest thing: food and clothes to the needy, a hug to a friend, a smile to the cashier, a lesson to the children. Good acts bring more good acts. I will also share a short story with you, it's about the same topic. Photo of hummingbird by FreeGreatPicture/MaxPixel.
Home Translation  Stories & Tales Contact  Presentation Articles Discover New  The Story of the Hummingbird One day a terrible fire broke out in a forest - a huge woodlands was suddenly engulfed by a raging wild fire. Frightened, all the animals fled their
@Plethos (10450)
The ripple effect. Every action has a reaction. Or just some good ol' karma
@sabtraversa (13329)
Yes, everything is linked, all we do has a reaction.
@stbrians (15854)
• Kakamega, Kenya
It is is actually the small things that grow into big ones. I love that quote from mother Tdresa
@sabtraversa (13329)
That's true, it goes along with the quote @ilocosboy posted in my previous quotes discussion. "Journey of thousand miles starts with first step" by Lao Tzu. And I guess we can add "Start your journey and other people will follow", to make it more about charity or good deeds. I also really like analogies with nature, as Mother Teresa compared our actions to drops in the ocean.
@stbrians (15854)
• Kakamega, Kenya
@sabtraversa You must be very good in quotes my dear. I love that. Keep posting and enjoy
@sabtraversa (13329)
@stbrians Thank you. Yes, I love quotes, there are so many. I think I can't write some my own because someone probably had my idea before. Well, we can change words but the meaning will remain the same.
@skysnap (17960)
Hmm, optimistic. Hope your week is going good. Have a good day ahead.
@sabtraversa (13329)
I mastered my optimism in the last few years, it's possible and very enjoyable. Thanks, my week should go well, hope yours is going well too.
@skysnap (17960)
@sabtraversa looking forward to mastering optimism by sabrina
@skysnap (17960)
@sabtraversa .. just imagine.. next new york bestseller "mastering optimism"
@Mike197602 (13866)
I found this interesting purely because I wasn't aware of any controversy surrounding Mother Teresa. After doing some reading I learned a lot so thanks
@sabtraversa (13329)
I only saw some posts on Facebook, I never went into deep searching/reading. You're welcome, by the way.
@dfollin (12734)
Great outlooks!
@sabtraversa (13329)
Thank you.
@dfollin (12734)
@sabtraversa Your welcome!
@alberello75 (18399)
• Genova, Italy
Well, I think you're absolutely right. It does not matter if we do not see positive changes in our lives. despite our good intentions. Sometimes we think that doing good is useless, because maybe we get hurt! No it does not! Evil, does not pay!
@sabtraversa (13329)
That's true, we must not surrender, even when things don't seem going the way we wanted.
@alberello75 (18399)
• Genova, Italy
@sabtraversa You see, unfortunately, for a person like me, are 41 years that things are not going well But I never give up the hope!
@kepweng (17703)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
so mother theresa is a saint now?? but do you believe that she have powers to heal people?
@sabtraversa (13329)
@kepweng Yes, I think she became a saint not a long ago. Her purpose was not to heal people though, just to convert them into Catholicism. Her life was controversial because she didn't really cure the ill people but only told them to pray, that pain would have brought them to heaven and so forth. And all the money she collected was given to the Catholic Church. Well, this is what the rumors are about.
In a similar way, they say the longest journey starts with a single step.
@sabtraversa (13329)
Right, they're similar, although one is more "individualistic" than the other.
• Shillong, India
The story is really good.. this is what we should be trying at our level before giving up
@sabtraversa (13329)
Glad to know you enjoyed the story. And yes, we are here for a reason, our skills are there to make the world a better place, we only have to realize and get to work.
@sans224 (1833)
very true. and a Positive message thanks for the thought.
@sabtraversa (13329)
Glad you enjoyed it.
@sol_cee (16889)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
Unfortunately some easily grow tired of doing good.
@sabtraversa (13329)
I know, but this way evil keeps on winning. It's still okay to take breaks from time to time.
thank you for this story.She was my inspiration.
@sabtraversa (13329)
You're very welcome.
I think Mother Theresa was an amazing woman and, every act of kindness by anyone is of great importance.
@sabtraversa (13329)
Every ocean drop is precious, indeed.
I always do the best I can and that is why if I am asked to sign petitions for good causes I will. Hey it just might be my signature that is the deciding factor. I also write about things that people should be aware of and then I am glad that I got the word out. As you say no matter what every little bit does help. Nice story.
@sabtraversa (13329)
I do the same, I can't donate thousands but my little daily actions will make a difference. Thanks, the story is very inspiring, I loved it when I read it the first time.
You are right - doing what little we can is better than doing nothing at all.
@sabtraversa (13329)
So true. We never know if that little thing we did could actually change the life of someone else.