What a Wonderful Treat for Us Back in the Day

Just two blocks from my family home, an ice cream stand called Stop n' Chat did a brisk business in the summer months. If a kid had a nickel for a small cone, a dime for a medium cone, or a quarter for a large cone, life was good. When Stop n' Chat started dipping vanilla cones into a vat of liquid chocolate, we were delighted and a bit awe-struck regarding this dipping-of-cones idea. . We did not care that the liquid chocolate, that turned into a hardened crispy shell, was made with quite a bit of food-grade paraffin wax. I do remember eating a dipped cone could be quite messy and sometimes disappointing. The crispy chocolate shell would break into pieces that fell to the ground, or pieces of the shell made of chocolate would land on our clothing and quickly melt. A vanilla cone that had been dipped in chocolate did cost an extra dime, but it was worth saving up for that extra dime to get that delicious cone. I think for Valentine's Day, I will treat my husband to one of those marvelous dipped cones. Stop n' Chat is no longer in business in the hometown in which I still reside, but I am sure we can find some dipped cones around here. Image Credit: By Tomwsulcer (Own work) [CC0], via Wikimedia Commons (free to use, even commercially).
I love your story. Ice cream was always a special treat for us when we were kids too. Every Sunday Dad would take us out for ice at the Big Scoop. We looked forward to it. Now when I want a dipped cone I usually go to the local Diary Queen. I like mine dipped in Butterscotch. Yum!! Now I am craving one!!
Well, that solves my problem. We have Dairy Queen here, so off we will go to that little business and have a dipped cone. I remember they only had chocolate back in the 1950s, and then added different flavors along the way. Thank you for your kind words regarding the little story.
@Corbin5 you are welcome.
Does the butterscotch harden like the chocolate does? I love butterscotch!
Back in Jersey there was a place called the Ice Cream Depot (next to train tracks so that's why the name!) Best ice cream east of the Mississippi...always a long line and you would run into a dozen people you knew all waiting in line too. I'm drooling just rememberinng. they did close so memories will sustain me
Yes, I am always disappointed when I drive past the spot on which our ice cream stand was in business for such a long time. Glad we both have memories stored to enjoy.
@Corbin5 we don't ho back to Jersey any longer do if it was in business it would be with us
I remember those very well.Yummy is the word at that time.Sitll is
It was such a "new" thing for us. They sure are tasty.
Icecream fas part of my childhood. I donĀ“t know why or when (maybe when my husband was diagnosed with diabetes and I banned sugar in my house) I stopped eating icecream. When I started to have them again, I discovered that my tasted had changed. I prefer salty things now.
Yes, we never have ice cream in the house, and for such a long time, we just didn't eat it. Will give ice cream a try again and see how it goes. I will go for the dipped cones first.
@Corbin5 Maybe you will like them more thinking about memories.
@sallypup (26609)
• Moses Lake, Washington
That's a romantic idea for V Day. I might end up getting a jar of hot mustard or hot pickles for my honey bunch.
I think the jar of hot mustard or hot pickles will be perfect for your guy!!!
@sallypup (26609)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Corbin5 When we order already spicy curry in a Thai cafe he has them put hot peppers in then he splats on hot sauce. I honestly don't understand how he tastes anything but hot sauce.
@sallypup I did buy a gift package of hot sauces for my husband, and it is a mystery to me how your husband and mine can tolerate that stuff.
We have these in our music theatre. They're called 'choc bombs' there. I loved them as a child too.
Oh, I love the name 'choc bombs!" It did take a bit of skill to get the hang of eating those things.
@Corbin5 You needed a lot of practice!
@quantum2020 (8841)
• Ciudad De Mexico, Mexico
I think giving one of those vanilla and chocolate cones to a loved one on the next ValentineĀ“s day will be a good give away
I think we will have fun enjoying those dipped cones on Valentine's Day.
• Ciudad De Mexico, Mexico
@Corbin5 I guess you will. THey look very good and attractive to the taste
@quantum2020 Wish I could get one for you too!!!
@Plethos (10259)
I have a fosters freeze here that dips. Ive always been amazed as to how the ice crdam doesnt fall into the liquid while being dipped. I wonder what kind of glue they use !
You know, I do not know why the ice cream doesn't fall into the dipping liquid either. I suppose the dipping has to be quick as can be to prevent the ice cream from falling from the cone.
@Plethos (10259)
@Corbin5 - or as they say nowadays "SCIENCE !"
I'm sure you will both appreciate a nice chocolate dipped cone for a Valentine's Day treat! Only Dairy Queen sold them in my neck of the woods.
We have Diary Queen here, so we are all set!! Haven't had one in such a long time.
@Corbin5 Me, either. Have an extra one for me while you're at it, or better yet, mail me one. Lol!
@brokenbee (7811)
Hmmm Our McDonald's here have that dipped sundae. They have three different flavors to choose from, choco, strawberry and ube (purple yam).
Oh, I will have to check our McDonald's and try one of the sundaes you described. That sounds really good!!
@brokenbee (7811)
@Corbin5 Yup, I hope it is also available there.
It is the same the world over. We had this guy - we called him ice candy man - he would go from lane to lane ringing the bell that he had with him collecting all the kids around.
Oh yes, here in the USA we had the ice cream trucks selling to kids in our neighborhood. A lot of times, we did not have the money to buy from the guy driving the truck, but when we did it was a real treat.
@sol_cee (14386)
• Japan
I could do that dipping trick easily.
I bet you could. I guess one has to be fast at the dipping so the ice cream does not plop into the melted chocolate.
• Midland, Michigan
Maybe these days they no longer use paraffin wax for hardening of the cones, but it food grade or not. That does sound a bit intimidating. I never heard that was used for making them.
I bet what they use now is better than what was used back in the day. I hope so.
Yum now I want a chocolate dipped cone lol.
I know! When I wrote the post, I was craving one too!
That is a neat idea to treat your husband to that dipped chocolate ice cream cone for Valentine's. We had a corner store a few houses from my paren'ts where they sold ice cream cones but no dipped ones.
I do love those family-owned corner stores that are so hard to find these days. I wish they would make a comeback. Back in the day, getting an ice cream cone was a rare treat for us.
• Riga, Latvia
If you have a Dairy Queen in the area they have dipped cones. For more good and interesting news look what I found in my search
Make and share this Hard Chocolate Sauce - Dairy Queen Style recipe from Food.com.
Oh wow! Thank you @RasmaSandra! That recipe will be wonderful to try. Yes, we have a Dairy Queen down the street, and thanks to you and others here, I found out about the dipped cones they serve.
@KristenH (23672)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
That's sad it went out of business. You can go to Baskin Robbins or Dairy Queen for ice cream. You can also buy cones. I love ice cream.
We have a Dairy Queen nearby and now I know where to go for a dipped cone! I haven't had ice cream in such a long time, but excited about those cones.
@KristenH (23672)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@Corbin5 Go for it and save one for me!
@KristenH Will do! Will put it in my freezer just in case, one fine day, we get together!!
Doesn't Dairy Queen make something like that?
Well, we rarely eat ice cream, but thanks to the folks here, I can now take my husband to DQ.
I haven't been at Dairy Queen in years @Corbin5
I love chocolate dipped soft ice cream-its my favorite! Your hubby will love being treated to one next week. Have you ever tried the ice cream cupcakes that DQ has? They are very good but very high in calories!!!!
I have not tried the ice cream cupcakes, but they sound delightful! DQ is a wonderful establishment!!
@Corbin5 I agree!
Oh those chocolate dipped cones were the best. We got ours at Carvel and my kids and I loved the way the dipped chocolate got hard. Haven't had one in years but I just might have to see if we have any ice cream shops here that have them
I think you and I, and our loved ones, are due some dipped cones, for sure!!