Eight Things that Make me Happy

Winston Salem, North Carolina
Life has been a bit stressful the last few weeks, so taking a moment to consider what makes me happy was a great way to shift my focus back to where it ought to be. Thanks to those of you who have set the example by sharing your own lists of things that make you happy. #1 Who I am as a Christian; without hope for the future life would be overwhelmingly stressful at times. #2 My husband and best friend; we regularly drive each other batty, but I can’t imagine spending my life without him. (Actually, that’s not entirely true; I CAN imagine life without him, and I have imagined it when he’s been doing something particularly dangerous, and it’s something I would not EVER want to have to live with). #3 My children (I thought about cheating and listing them separately, but there is no way I could pick one to list first and one to list last); they bring me joy and fulfillment in ways I never comprehended before they were part of my life. #4 Raising my children and learning alongside them. (I’ve always said, that my children may not come out of homeschooling as the best educated people in the world--but I sure will have learned a lot by the time their all finished). #5 My sister (@MorleyHunt) She's always been a second Mom to me; encouraged me when I was down, and corrected me when I was being stupid). #6 Sewing, whether it be working on quilting and craft projects, or costuming projects for our local community theatre. It is an outlet for the creative side of me, and an opportunity to contribute to the community at the same time. #7 Reading, I’ve always loved being able to travel to distant times and far off places through the written word--and it's done an amazing job of teaching me to see the world through eyes other than my own.. #8 Exploring and enjoying the beautiful planet that my Creator has placed me on. (I’d much rather be outside pulling weeds or raking leaves, than inside washing dishes or vacuuming floors!).
@Morleyhunt (17861)
Life is full of unexpected bumps...the last week (shake my head), you have been such a blessing to me and my family over the years. I'm honoured that I am on your top eight things that make you happy.
You've always had a powerful, positive impact on my life. Something I will always be grateful for. Plus you're the one who straighten me out on my attempt to keep my oldest child from splashing in the mud puddles . Times like the past week, I really wish I was closer to provide more support.
@Morleyhunt (17861)
@Platespinner sometimes just having someone listen is enough. I found that for some reason my reserves of patience were running a bit low and a bad case of woe is me resulted. Now I know why I felt that way...a stuffy, nose, sneezing, coughing need to rest...how can one nose create so much yuck?
@Morleyhunt Head colds are misery! I hope it clears up quickly and that you're already feeling better!
Great list. It is nice sometimes just to sit back and reflect on the things that make us happy.
It is a great reminder of how much I have to be thankful for!
• Midland, Michigan
Great list and way to share your many blessings. I'm not sure I understand what you meant at the end of your paragraph regarding your husband if he were to do something dangerous, but I think you meant you'd rather not live without him. (Maybe the 'would' should be a 'wouldn't')?
Thank you for pointing that out. I've made the correction!
Cool I would love to travel the world and just runaway from all the things that makes me sad and keeping me from growing.
I think the secret to genuine happiness is finding contentment with life. There are things around me that I don't like. If I can change the I do, if I can't change them, I learn to make the best of the situation. It not necessarily easy, but it's better than giving myself ulcers worrying about things I have no control over.
I do not think I recall that you and @MorleyHunt were sisters. That is neat you are both here at mylot! Who joined first? I love my children, my boyfriend and reading as well so those would be on my list if I did one of these. I have seen quite a few people create these posts :-)
Great list!
Your list is heartwarming!
@averygirl72 (16363)
It's a wonderful list. Enjoyed reading it
@PainsOnSlate (19771)
I really like being outside too, and when I hear people saying they cleaned all day I think what a pity they did that when there is so much more interesting and soul worthy to see and do. My painting has taken the place where the sewing machine used to bet. My sister is a great friend we camp together every summer. Hubby is my rock, this year 50 years and we still like each other. The children are grown and such interesting people, all three completely different of the others... Life is Good. Enjoyed your list.
Believe that for number 2 I have exactly the same feeling, I do not even want to imagine my life without my husband.
@Gillygirl (16445)
• Sutton, England
I've read a few of these posts and have found them inspirational. I could include much of what you have in your list and more.
Another lovely list of simple things that mean so much. Thanks for sharing.
Your list shows what a well-rounded life you live. I can understand why your list reads as it does.
@pureme (1439)
I like the fact that you can sew, I love to sew