Ponte di Rialto (Rialto Bridge). Grand Canal. Venice

Rialto Bridge, Grand Canal, Venice
@garymarsh6 (13197)
United Kingdom
Venice is made up of many little islands with canals and waterways separating each island. In order to get across to the next island you either need to take a little boat, Traghetto, Gondola, waterbus, or water taxi. Alternatively, you could cross over one of the many bridges that connect each island. The Rialto bridge is perhaps the most famous of these bridges which spans the Grand Canal that meanders and snakes it's way through the centre of Venice. The grand canal starts off near St Marks Square snaking its way up to the inner lagoon and the station for nearly 2 and a half miles and ranges from 98 feet to nearly 300 feet in width. This is no normal bridge. It is very ornate and one of the most beautiful designed bridges in Venice. The original bridge was made of wood but collapsed. A competition was arranged for someone to design a bridge that would last a long time. It was designed by Antonio de Ponte hence it also being known as Anthony's bridge. Work started on building the bridge in 1588 taking 3 years to build. It is supported by 12,000 wooden pilings. The bridge consists of three sets of steps. One on either side and a central set of steps with shops either side. It is built of white stone which when in the sunshine makes it look like it is built of marble. Many sceptics of the day said it would not stand. How wrong they were. There is a constant stream of traffic going under the bridge and it is usually crowded with people crossing the bridge to reach the market. Surrounding the bridge on the canal are many little restaurants on the edge of the canal which are quite pricey too but slip into the surrounding alleyways and find something cheaper with better food. There are four bridges that cross the grand canal but this is the grandest of them all. Sadly there is quite a bit of graffiti written on the sides of the bridge. Don't you just want to slap the hooligan's who do this sort of thing. There is a water bus stop just beside the bridge so it is quite easy to get to and if coming from the airport on a water bus on one of the routes, you will pass under the bridge. It is beautiful during the day in the brilliant sunshine and at night it is lit up. The photo is of the Rialto Bridge with gondola's and water buses on the grand canal.
@Morleyhunt (19539)
Bridges are fascinating. That one is beautiful. I would like to see those responsible for defacing property with graffiti also be faced with the daunting task of removing it without damaging the surface they just marked.
@garymarsh6 (13197)
Yes little devils. They would not be young children I am sure of that!
That is a very nice picture of the Bridge and water buses.
@garymarsh6 (13197)
Thanks Judy. It was taken near sunset so does not look as bright as during the day!
A classic scene and beautiful bridge. Why can't we construct bridges that appeal to the eye anymore?
@garymarsh6 (13197)
Well our Millennium bridge in London was built for the year 2000. They had to close it within days due to too many people walking across it. The bridge started to wobble and sway! The engineers did not think that many people would walk on it can you believe. (Duh, A major pedestrian bridge across the River Thames from the city to the Southbank) Unbelievable you could not make it up!
That would be a fun way to get around.
@garymarsh6 (13197)
Imagine how many millions of people have stood on that bridge over the years!
@tzwrites (4638)
The bridge is very beautiful, I love Italian architecture. Venice is one of the places I want to visit soon.
@garymarsh6 (13197)
It is my favourite cities. It is nice to stay there especially when the day tourists have gone you practically have the place to yourself early morning and later in the evening. You are sure to have a wonderful time there!
Thanks for this information. It is indeed a very special bridge.
@garymarsh6 (13197)
Seeing it in real life is better this one was taken from the balcony of the palace we stayed in from the breakfast terrace.
@garymarsh6 That would have been a great place to stay.
@garymarsh6 (13197)
@JudyEv It was and the owner was really proud of himself. He even designed and had made a special coffee machine which looked like something out of Dr Who but the Coffee was devine!
@Gillygirl (17278)
• Sutton, England
It is a beautiful bridge. We got a water taxi to there as it was close to our hotel. I don't remember seeing graffiti when I visited but is was about thirteen years ago.
@garymarsh6 (13197)
It was quite a shame to do something like that Gilly. We stayed right near the bridge in a restored palace.
@Gillygirl (17278)
• Sutton, England
@garymarsh6 Yes it's criminal. A restored palace must have been posh.
@garymarsh6 (13197)
@Gillygirl It was very comfortable. Many of the buildings were palaces of some kind or another. Many restored and were owned by merchants. I have an extra special one to mention in another post.
That was one of my most favorite bridges in Venice. I must return!
@garymarsh6 (13197)
OH yes I know you love Venice too!
I feel as if I were in Venice and were on the bridge.I detest those who do graffiti,they are ill bred !The views are marred by what they have done !
@garymarsh6 (13197)
You are a very cultured man Changjiangzhinin89. I think you would like Venice and Italy very much.
@garymarsh6 Thank you for your compliment!Of course,but I think I have little opportunity to visit those places.
I would catch all those who do graffiti and make them wash their works with their tongues, until is cleaned. I hate the graffiti they are causing plenty of damages to the old documents.
@garymarsh6 (13197)
I was really surprised how much graffiti I saw in Italy Anna. These monuments are hundreds of years old. Are these people crazy?
@garymarsh6 I do not know, I think that the Italian authorities do not do enough to stop them. They write everywhere, on the trains, bus, personal houses, monuments. This costs a lot of money to the taxpayers.
Thank you for taking me to this lovely bridge. I am getting a lovely tour of some wonderful sights, thanks to you!! I would love to go for a ride in a gondola!
@garymarsh6 (13197)
It is very expensive. Anything up to £100 or $150 for an hour. But there are gondolas called Traghetti that take workers across the grand canal to near the Church of Santa Maria della Salute which costs one Euro. Workers sometimes stand on the gondola only tourists sit!
• Portland, Connecticut
What a pretty sight. It is a gorgeous bridge.
@garymarsh6 (13197)
It sure is a beautiful sight.
Lovely.You know we have been there a couple of times.
@garymarsh6 (13197)
It is great Alfredo.
Very interesting - and scenic.
@garymarsh6 (13197)
It is very special and historical.
That is really beautiful. I just hope kids and adults mature immediately so they know how to respect and preserve the greatest creation if the old days. God bless.
@garymarsh6 (13197)
Yes I agree with you!
@Inlemay (16490)
• South Africa
the day we first visited Venice, we found small little curio shops along the one set of steps - it was very crowded but we made our way through the tourists to take photos - the water was choppy as it was raining and wet and I kept singing "Its raining men" all day long
@garymarsh6 (13197)
Gee thanks I have that tune in my head now and will probably have it there all day! LOL
@Inlemay (16490)
• South Africa
@garymarsh6 ha ha ha - What a wonderful world it would be if it RAINED men all day long!! (for us ladies)
@Inlemay (16490)
• South Africa
@garymarsh6 ahhh there is nothing wrong with you! as long as there are no HITLERS
What a beautiful place!
@garymarsh6 (13197)
It certainly is a beautiful city.
@garymarsh6 Judging by that photo, it really is.
@lokisdad (4267)
Some day it is on my bucket list visiting Italy and going to see places like the bridge and take a boat ride.
@garymarsh6 (13197)
Italy is such a beautiful country, the architecture, the culture, the food and the wonderful cities. I am now in love with Italy. I used to love France but to be honest it is not a patch on Italy. It certainly helps if you can speak Italian which I do not. I do speak French which makes things easier.