Doing Good Is Overrated

Well, I thought donating plasma was a good idea, but apparently, low vision with light sensitivity is an issue. They wanted me to keep my sunglasses off so they could see my eyes so I would not fall asleep. These sunglasses are hazelnut (amber) and it was very bright at that place. They'd have seen my eyes. Then, they asked about my low vision. They knew what macular degeneration was, but not choroidal folds (ripples on the choroid of the eye that are not even remotely life-threatening). My assurance that they did not affect my blood supply was not enough. They had to check them themselves, but could find nothing about choroidal folds. So, they said they'd start the paperwork, but I'd have to wait (days) to donate blood. I had called them this morning to schedule an appointment and was told to come in at 11:00 and they would pencil me in then. So, I drove out there and was told my appointment would be at 4:00. So, I drove home and drove back there at 3:00. So, my patient was already well beyond its limits. I told them to just give me my IDs and forget about it. They took down my number and told me they'd call once they heard back from their boss about my choroidal folds. But, I don't believe that they will and if they do, I'm not even sure that I will go.
And such is life. I have a friend that donates blood every both.
Mom is bummed because she'd like to donate as well, but she is soon to be 71, and the cut-off age is 65.
They pay a couple of hundred dollars for plasma here, but I don't qualify due to health reasons.
That's what they're trying to claim in my situation as well but having low vision does not prevent you from donating plasma.
@Chellezhere I figured it might be whatever caused the vision problem. My brother-in-law has an eye problem too and he is ineligible. It starts with a 'K' but I can't recall the name. It does seem like a fishy reason, I agree.
@AmbiePam Keratoconus?
• Portland, Connecticut
They cut me off years ago because i have spent too much time in England, mad cow and all!! Go figure.
They call back this morning. They would like me to come in and have a conference call with their director. Once the call is over, donating should be fine.
• Portland, Connecticut
@Chellezhere I am glad and I hope it works out I did love to donate.
@BelleStarr I would as well. Hopefully, they will realize that I am okay.
@sol_cee (13959)
• Japan
You must be a rare case to them. Lol Does it mean that you never take your glasses off?
It means that in certain types of light I have to keep sunglasses on.
So sorry you had to go through so much in an attempt to do something to help others.
Thanks. My first red flag that it was gong to be more trouble than it was worth was when they said I would not be able to keep my sunglasses on. I had fully disclosed that I had low vision with light sensitivity. So, I wonder how they treat people with less vision than I.
I hadnt heard of that. Sorry to hear this.