Do you have special work clothes?

Marion, Kansas
All that we, as paras, have to worry about is being neat and clean, and not offensive. I dress up a little more than some, because I have a ton of clothes. Mostly given to me or purchased at thrift shops. My preference is anything that I can comfortably do my job in. I did not grow up wearing jeans, so they are not my favorites. I wear a lot of stretchy knit pants. My work shoes are more important to me than any other item of clothing. If your feet are not comfortable you will not be comfortable either. I have had jobs where I had to wear all black. I also have had to have white shirts and black pants and shoes. Years ago I had jobs where I was required to wear a dress. I have worked medical jobs where I had to wear scrubs. Of course sometimes you must wear hair nets and head coverings. Now I just go to my wardrobe, see what the weather is like and dress to go out in it. Because I am around kids a lot, I like to wear bright colors. They seem to like it.
I've never really had to dress up too much which has always suited me. I'm not one for dressing up if I don't have to.
@hereandthere (24267)
does paras mean paramedic? but you also say you're around kids. sorry, i'm confused. i agree comfortable shoes are important, especially if you have to stand a lot. some wear flats or flipflops on their way to and from work. i've never had to wear all black or all white, and am thankful for that.
• Marion, Kansas
Paraprofessional, para educator. Mostly when you see the prefix para, it means trained and skilled but not certified or licensed. I am trained and experienced in working in classrooms but I do it under the auspices of a certified teacher.
@GardenGerty is a paraeducator different from a teacher's aide/assistant?
• Marion, Kansas
@hereandthere A teacher's aide or assistant will do clerical work and other stuff like that, along with helping with all students. A paraeducator is in place to work with mentally and physically handicapped students only, and does minimal or no work like grading, copying and bulletin boards. A para may be required to do some medical work or to change clothing when soiled, etc.
@cherigucchi (3961)
When I am at home I am just wearing what I feel comfortable with.
• Marion, Kansas
That is the great thing about being at home.
@sallypup (22104)
• Moses Lake, Washington
That sounds sensible.
• Marion, Kansas
You cannot be worrying about your clothes and do your job well.
I prefer doing para days in some kind of stretchy pant (some jeans are now so that's ok too), and tennis shoes, we are supposed to wear dress shoes, well I work with kids under 6th grade, and often am moving and running, or at recess, dress shoes would be stupid, so I just wear what I want with shoes
• Marion, Kansas
Some tennis shoes and athletic shoes cost more than dress shoes. I have to have support for just the reasons you mention. No one cares a whole lot what I wear, as long as I show up and get the job done.
@GardenGerty exactly, they can, often do, but are so much better for you. I broke down and replaced mine, the soles were literally gone in places on the old pair. found these for 30, prob not the best of quality, but my inserts fit, and they have some memory foam, so I hope they work ok for awhile
• Marion, Kansas
@Jessicalynnt Ah, yes, I have inserts as well. Today I also have a knee brace on, as I am walking a tremendous amount.
SHoes are very important. I am retired so I don't have any work clothes. Bright colors are good. I just wear my house dresses.
• Marion, Kansas
I keep thinking I would like to wear house dresses. My sister does. I have some sundresses I wear in the summer at home, but I have lost weight. We will see about next summer.
@GardenGerty ....They have some cute ones.
• Marion, Kansas
@celticeagle I love the brightly colored clothes of all kinds.
@katsmeow1213 (28961)
I have to dress business casual. Slacks, a blouse.. I too prefer to be comfortable, but am still working on building my wardrobe.. Shoes are absolutely the most important part! Thankfully I can sit as much as I want, or stand if I choose.. so even if my shoes aren't comfortable I can just sit so my feet don't ache.
• Marion, Kansas
That is great. i can pretty well evenly split sitting and standing, The school hallways are long, though, so most often I wear athletic shoes. I wore short leather boots yesterday and something (toe, or knee) popped with every step.
@GardenGerty I'm wearing leather boots today, but they're one of the most comfortable shoes I own.
• Marion, Kansas
@katsmeow1213 I wish I had comfy boots that I can walk a lot in.
@PainsOnSlate (19263)
I have a huge number of clothes I use when I'm working. Most of them are good clothes that silly me wore while painting and got paint on them..Now before I pick up a brush I put on my painting clothes - formally good clothes that got paint on them....
• Marion, Kansas
You could have a whole separate closet for that. I have clothes that I love that have gotten stained and I only will wear them at home.
@GardenGerty I have a drawer and all my paint clothes live there. If i put them on I usually wear them all day but if i have to leave the house I try to remember to change...
• Marion, Kansas
@PainsOnSlate Yes, we do want to look good in public.
We have uniform shirts that we have to wear from Monday until Thursdays, the other 3 days of the week they are not required. They are golf type of shirts, I also have a t-shirt that I never wear that I won there. My husband's new job gives him 10 uniforms, shirts and pants, and all he has to do is hang at least a week's worth in his locker and they will send them out for laundering and return them within a few days and he usually has the next batch almost ready to hang again. That is nice that I don't have to worry about doing that laundry, it really cuts down on the washing here.
• Marion, Kansas
My husband did have a job once where he had mechanic uniforms. His current company sends them shirts,polo style, but they do not have pockets, so he wears semi dress type shirts for his ink pens and note pads.
@GardenGerty He gets 10 button down shirts and 10 pairs of pants similar to dockers. The best part is that I won't have to launder them.
• Marion, Kansas
@Juliaacv That is great.
@sueznewz2 (9381)
• Alicante, Spain
I prefer comfort over fashion and my taste is casual... I used to have to wear a carers uniform dress... but the minute the tunics became available I wore that over trousers... in my present job... I just wear tidy comfy casual... but definately trousers... I do not even own a dress or a skirt...
• Marion, Kansas
Oh, I love dresses, but they do not fit with the physical demands of my jobs. Tunics are great and very flattering.
@sueznewz2 (9381)
• Alicante, Spain
@GardenGerty they are comfy and flattering like you say... I like wearing them...
@pureme (1452)
i have some clothes that are meant for work. those clothes are smart on me.
• Marion, Kansas
In the public we do like to look cheerful and sharp.
closest thing i have right now is clothes i don't care if they get destroyed. when i work on boats i often get bleach on them for one..
• Marion, Kansas
Well, that makes sense to wear what suits the job.
@Platespinner (18586)
I go for office wear when I volunteer at the library. Volunteers don't actually have a dress code, but I know the full time employees aren't allowed to wear jeans. When I'm backstage for productions I wear theatre black. The rest of the time I live in jeans in the winter months, a jean skirt or capris in the warmer months.
• Marion, Kansas
Often we can look around and see what is appropriate. i have a few things that will classify as "office wear", which would match what you describe. I have not yet tried a dress. Paras generally do not wear dresses, but I have several.
YES I have work clothes to paint in and do the rentals. I hav work clothes to do the driving job and that is jeans and a nicer shirt. I have clothes for when I have to go into court with the accounting of an estate or take a tenant to court to get damages.
• Marion, Kansas
You have several wardrobes depending on which job, I see.
I likd to wear bright color clothes because they are neat looking.
• Marion, Kansas
They are cheerful as well.