I should not take anything for granted

By Miia
Finland
Sadly true but sometimes I forget to appreciate what I have. I started to think about this when I heard what one friend of mine is going through. He is 25 years old and he had cancer 2 times already. First when he was a kid he had cancer in his eye so it was removed. Now he has cancer in his nose and eye area so if it's going to be removed doctors say they need to go through his active eye. So his choices are to be blind or die soon It's not the end of the world to be blind but I'm just scared how he will feel about it because he likes to watch movies and play video games a lot. I hope he will not get depressed. So things I been taking for granted can be taken away any moment. You can't know. This is a bit sad post but I just wanted to share.
I am so sorry to hearead this. It truly is heartbreaking. A lot of us take our health for granted and it is things like this that make us realized how blessed we are. I will pray for him. I am not sure how I would be able to handle such devastating news. Life is so cruel sometimes.
• Finland
That is so true. This makes me think so much about life.
@GegeTheMechanic it sure does.
@skysnap (17960)
I guess we should never take life for granted.
• Finland
Yes that's true anything can happen
@sabtraversa (13329)
True, while we complain about small things, there are people who struggle to survive. Sorry to hear about your friend, he still has a chance although it's going to cost him the sight, I hope he's strong enough to deal with it, he's still young enough to get used to the new lifestyle. The most important thing to do is to be with him, support him and make him understand he's loved and that his life is still worth living. It reminds me of my favorite movie, Fault in Our Stars, there was a guy with weak sight that ended up blind, at first he was really depressed but he managed to move on thanks to his friends, the main characters. Sight is very important and we can't imagine a world without it, but life is more than that, actually.
• Finland
Yes I will support him as much as I can. Hope so he will survive all this and never have cancer again. He been through so much already
@sabtraversa (13329)
@GegeTheMechanic Really, two cancers in 25 years, in about the same area. It seems like the previous one wasn't completely removed.
• Finland
@sabtraversa yeah could be that :/
I am so glad you shared this information with us. Such a struggle your friend has had to endure. I know how hard this must be for you and the fact that you cannot fix things for him is so difficult to endure. Prayers.
• Finland
Yeah it's hard to deal with this but have to keep positive mind
@nanette64 (17851)
• Fairfield, Texas
So young and how devastating @GegeTheMechanic . I would rather go deaf than blind.
• Finland
I also think what would I do and honestly I don't know. But he decide to go to surgery and fight through all what's coming with it. He is so strong and it feels good to have him around longer
@1creekgirl (11438)
That's such a sad decision for your friend. I'm glad he has a friend like you for support.
• Finland
Yes it's not easy to see him so down about it but atleast we can talk and have nice time together even it's not going to be same way
@akalinus (20083)
That is so tragic. So sorry to hear about this awful situation. Things can change in an instant and never be the same again. I wish your friend and you the best.
• Finland
Thank you. It is just unbelievable how life can change so quickly
@akalinus (20083)
@GegeTheMechanic Yes, it is. Like you said, never take anything or anyone for granted.
@KnehKnah (3491)
This is indeed a sad post, but it really is most of the time for sick people like me. I also have cancer, but am glad I have this & not the other fast killer types. So, I still get to enjoy the past 16 years fighting against this ailment. About your friend. I pray he will be strong enough to accept his fate. No one can really tell what will come or happen next even to a healthy person. Just pray harder. It's great to be alive!
• Finland
You said it well and sorry to hear you have cancer too Life is so unpredictable
@garymarsh6 (14367)
OH dear the poor lad. Some people are really unlucky and we should be grateful for all we have. God speed that he will recover from this.
• Finland
Yes it really got me thinking how rich I am and I don't mean money
How terrible for that 25 year-old. I hope he survives.
• Finland
Yes me too. These things just can't be predicted
Really sorry to hear this may almighty give him ample of strength to face this
• Finland
He is so strong I admire him
It is sad for your friend. I have a friend who is blind from birth, due to being early and having to have a lot of oxygen. He has a good life, but he had training all of his childhood to deal with this. You are kind to sympathize with your friend and care about him.
• Finland
Oh must be difficult childhood when you can't see but glad he been having good life now