Daily Bible Study

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Day 159 Proverbs 17:18 Proverbs 17:18 A man void of understanding strikes hands, and becomes surety in the presence of his friend. People look for bargains every day. The better the bargain, the more they like it and will do whatever they can to gain the item, even borrowing money to have it. In Solomon’s time, the elders of the city sat at the city gate. All transactions were made in front of the elders, including the promises to pay back money they borrowed from friends. A transaction was complete when they shook hands or took off their sandal. Because the elders witnessed the transaction, it was binding. Solomon warned against such practices because it put a yoke around a person’s neck, often causing friendships to dissolve because of the debt owed. Today, people don’t just shake hands, they sign their names on the dotted line, putting them under obligation to pay back the money they secured often at an exorbitant interest rate. You might be party to those high rates, especially if you own a credit card, and most people do today. It’s easy to take out the card when you want something, and charge it. When the bill comes due you have two options – pay it in full or pay the minimum. Paying the minimum adds to the bill because you are only paying the interest on the amount owed, and your debt continues to soar. As Christians, there is only one debt we are to have, as Paul pointed out to the Romans. Romans 13:7 Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honor to whom honor. 8 Owe no man anything, but to love one another: for he that loves another hath fulfilled the law. When you live responsibly in all matters, especially money matters, you will be free of the harness debt brings on your life. Let’s pray: Father, help me live responsibly in all areas of my life, especially where money is concerned, so I will not feel debt’s harness around my neck. In Jesus’ name, I pray, amen. Copyright © 14 February 2017 by Valerie Routhieaux Image courtesy of Pixabay
@Daljinder (21689)
I don;t have any debts and I am very grateful of that.
That is a good thing.
@Dena91 (4364)
Thankful we are debt free except for daily living. No car payments, morgage etc. Even more thanlful for a husband who is wise when it comes to money. Thankful for the lesson l learned early on in life, credit cards are bad if used unwisely. After working 3 jobs to pay off that debt I learned to live by paying cash only on purchases. Good reminder, great post. Have a blessed day
One I learned as well. I don't have a credit card, only a debit card, so I don't have any debt either, just daily expenses. Thank you. Have a blessed day as well.
@skysnap (17877)
thanks for sharing. i learned something new today.
I'm happy you learned something new.