Carrion Crow Robs Red Ribbon For Valentine's Day

crow
Uzbekistan
It's nice to watch birds feed on fat balls hanging in front of the window. We lived in a flat/apartment with a balcony in front of the kitchen. I used to hang several fat balls on the clothes line spanning the length of the balcony. There was always action outside when we were sitting at the kitchen table. Some months ago my husband and I moved to a different flat in the same house. Now we don't have a balcony facing the garden behind the house anymore but one facing the street. There are no trees in the immediate vicinity which means no hungry birds nearby to spot the fat balls. Most important, however, may be the sad fact that this year there are only half as many birds as last year. Many died in the cold and wet weather last year which means few offspring. I mentioned this in a comment on a post on bird feeding. The member advised me to attract the attention of passing birds with the help of coloured ribbons. Birds are curious, he said, and they'd come and have a look and then start feeding. I bought some red ribbon and tied it with a knot to a hook sticking in the wall of the house. I waited for several days but no finches, great or blue titss* or other small birds came. Behind the row of houses on the other side of the street is a schoolyard with many tall trees and a big school building. The roof ridge is the meeting place of carrion crows. Sometimes up to fifty come to discuss their day. I thought if I couldn't attract the little birds, I could perhaps attract the big ones. I scattered peanuts on the balcony hoping a curious carrion crow would notice me. Lo and behold, a crow did arrive! Unfortunately, only my husband was in the room behind the balcony. He didn't call me in order not to create commotion and end the spectacle prematurely. The crow attacked the red ribbon and after fighting with it for some time untied the knot with its beak and carried the ribbon away. We wonder why? To decorate the nest for its partner on Valentine's Day? --- * Guess why I had to make a spelling mistake here! --- Photo: pixabay
Yes, I do believe that red ribbon is a gift of love for his special lady!! He sure worked hard to get that ribbon, so his true love must be a mighty fine gal!!! Titss worked well for the word that would not have made it through.
• Uzbekistan
You've won the first prize! Shame on the indecency detector. One could find a different term for the part of the female body if one tried, but what about the poor birds? Don't they have the right to have a name?
@MALUSE They do, and I will be more than happy to peacefully protest for a bird's right to be called by its true name!!! Off to make a poster for the protest!
@Gillygirl (17367)
• Sutton, England
That is the perfect use of a red ribbon to celebrate this grossly commercialised day. Interesting idea to attract birds.
@dragon54u (31636)
One cool thing about crows is that they like bright, shiny things. They are attracted to things that sparkle, too. They have actually stolen peoples' jewelry so if you leave your windows open when the weather is nice and a bird could fly in, make sure all your pretty things are put away!
• Uzbekistan
Yes, and magpies are even worse!
@garymarsh6 (14430)
He obvioulsy was trying to impress the birds! I can understand you wanting to post that photo it is nice and colourful.
Our cat also loves ribbons and will eat them if we don't keep an eye on her.
• Uzbekistan
Doesn't it get stomach-ache from eating ribbons?
How cute that it happened on Valentine's Day. Those crows are so smart; I did not realize they could untie a knot!
It would seem the crow was waiting for the right occasion-- Valentine's Day.
@Ceerios (4753)
• Goodfellow, Texas
@MALUSE - M.-L. - When crows are in love, they steal red ribbons. (Any day, any time...) -Gus-
Yes, he could have untied it because he is giving it as a Valentine's gift to his girlfriend. Perhaps the next time your hubby should be ready with his smartphone so he can take a video of it.
@nanette64 (17949)
• Fairfield, Texas
Love the misspelling @MALUSE . It could be that his 'girlfriend' is needing a nest built for a possible new arrival and he thought he'd help out.
@stbrians (15893)
• Kakamega, Kenya
Wow! Great
@hostessman (9976)
• Tucson, Arizona
i built a bird feeder outside our computer room window just so i can watch the birds all day if i want
I love the fact that some birds are so clever! I hope his missus liked the red ribbon. :)
@FayeHazel (19951)
Wow, bird behavior is an interesting thing, isn't it
I seriously thought red ribbon as a cake
Crows are pretty smart. You should put out another ribbon and see if he can untie the knot quicker. It's a funny old spelling checker they have here isn't it?
@Platespinner (17062)
I've read that crows like to decorate their nests with bright bits that they pick up.
@pgntwo (22566)
• Carthage, Tunisia
Did the crow rob or did he steal...? And yes, magpies are much worse. Pigeons, doves particularly, must be the stupidest though.
and they also like my feeder as they discovered it.the jays and others scoot away when they come in
@Daljinder (22177)
Even crows have their lady loves to please.