I have come up with a new term!

@garymarsh6 (13097)
United Kingdom
Yesterday we had our grandchildren stay over night so their parents could celebrate Valentines day. Oh my oh my to say it was a challenge is an understatement. My grand daughter was the perfect child as per usual but her brother was a right little so and so. We were locked into a battle of wills from the beginning to when I dropped him back at his parents house this morning. He would not eat his dinner last night and would not sit at the table. Everything had to be on his terms or so he thought! I told him off he was quite shocked and started to cry. No amount of coercing, cajoling or enticing could break his resolve. The same thing happened this morning when it came to bath time. He put himself on the floor and told his grandmother that he had no intention of bathing. Hello who is the adult in this relationship. I picked him up and bathed him. He sobbed and told me I was horrible and he was going to kick me! I dared him. Go ahead and you will see the consequences. I have never witnessed him behaving like this before. The bottom line is he did eat his dinner, he did have his bath and he did apologise for his rude behaviour. I think he is a tad jealous because his sister is on school holiday so he is not the centre of attention! I told his mother it came close to "Grandsonicide" this morning! I told her oh look a new word! As I left he ran up to me, hugged me and told me that he was sorry and he loved me! Good grief what a naughty little boy this morning and last night! I do feel that his mother and my wife give in to him too much which I think is making a rod for their own backs and yet to look at him you would think that butter would not melt!
Why did you put yourself through that. I would have just not had him eat and let go without. He was sure testing you two. I read a great book and had a social worker help us with a technique called love and logic. There are books out for youngsters and teens. It works wonder for the normal kids that don't have mental illness. Yes, "grandsonicide" does sound good to me too. Do you know my issue with my grandson? He's ODD. Oh my oh my.
@garymarsh6 (13097)
He gets lots of love and attention but like most grandparents having been there and done it .Normally I find they are far more respectful of the elders probably because we won't give in to every want. Need yes but want no. He hates being told no!
@garymarsh6 ......He needs consequences.
@garymarsh6 (13097)
@celticeagle He got them!
That was a good visit you had in the end. It's sweet when they are reminded who is the boss.
@garymarsh6 (13097)
It all came good at the end sharon!
@garymarsh6 That is very good to know Gary.
@Asylum (48288)
• Manchester, England
This is all too common a problem when a child gets their way too often, as I am sure you know.
@garymarsh6 (13097)
Oh yes but I think he was testing me as all kids go through this phase!
@Asylum (48288)
• Manchester, England
@garymarsh6 Fortunately you did not concede, which would have made matters worse.
It's amazing how defiant these tiny little creatures can be. I'm glad you instilled a bit of discipline in him. It will all just get worse otherwise.
@garymarsh6 (13097)
True. They know who they can get away with things. After I wrote this last night I remember my parents were quite strict. We knew exactly what a certain look meant and dare we cross that line! They never had to tell us we knew just because of the look!
@garymarsh6 My parents were the same. There was no way you'd push your luck too far.
@garymarsh6 (13097)
@JudyEv We were talking about this the other day. My parents just gave us a look and that was enough! My grandmother was even more frightening although she was a wonderful woman really! We respected out parents and elders in those days!
I'm sorry you had such a tussle of wills with your grandson. I think you won the battle with that hug and him telling you he loved you and was sorry.
@garymarsh6 (13097)
A battle of wills eh! He does not like being told no. The bottom lip trembles but if you explain to him sometimes he is ok but if it is something he really wants to do it develops into a full blown cry. I don't like to see them unhappy but they do have to learn that we cannot always get what we want.
@garymarsh6 I agree. I never gave in to my kids temper tantrums. As a result they rarely had any. They didn't get everything they wanted either. No, meant No.
@garymarsh6 (13097)
@just4him Yes and thats how it should be because as an adult when you are told no it does not make you sulk its part of life that we cannot have everything that we want!
@Inlemay (16463)
• South Africa
Oh I might like to use that word if ever my grandsons ever test my wits!
@garymarsh6 (13097)
He was here yesterday and said I was mean to him as I laughed at him the other day!
@Inlemay (16463)
• South Africa
@garymarsh6 oooooh thats telling you directly.
@Gillygirl (16789)
• Sutton, England
Little people need discipline. They like to push boundaries. In our family it's my daughter's partner and my husband who give in to out grandson. My daughter pulls him up for not saying please or thank you. He can be a willful soul at times.
@garymarsh6 (13097)
Now that is a nice term willful. He was as stubborn as a mule!
@Gillygirl (16789)
• Sutton, England
@garymarsh6 Mine is just two and a bit. How old is your grandson?
@inertia4 (27268)
Children will be that way sometimes. I had a very hard time with my son as well when he was small. But he came around. We don't need to have spoiled children growing up in this world or they will wind up like some rich guy who wants his way all the time. That is no go for my kids. But I am glad your grandson finally realized who the boss was.
@garymarsh6 (13097)
You are right there. Sometimes they just need to know that they can not always get what they want. Imagine what a spoilt little brat he would turn into when he got older!
@inertia4 (27268)
@garymarsh6 Exactly. And we have one of them running our country now. LOL. Sorry I had to say that.
Glad that you showed him who was the boss.
@garymarsh6 (13097)
I laughed at him yesterday because he was talking as if he was very very posh. Today He told me I was mean to him yesterday by laughing at him!
How old is he ? So good that he apologized.
@garymarsh6 (13097)
He is two but will be three next month!
Kids can be so bad at times and than turn around and be so sweet.. Next time he will be good.
@garymarsh6 (13097)
I am sure of that! I sat and had a quiet word with him. I told him sometimes we cannot always have what we want and sometimes we have to say no. He is not really as bad as that most of the time he is an angel. I guess it was his way of ending the naughty twos in style. Sadly he picked the wrong person to do it to. !
@xFiacre (4171)
@garymarsh6 They don't always make things easy for us or for themselves.
@garymarsh6 (13097)
I was surprised how stubborn he was but then his mother was a stubborn girl too! OH boy she could be so stubborn. I laugh sometimes and remind her that it is history repeating itself.
Kids can drive us crazy. How old is he? Guess he realized there was no way he could outwit his grandpa. At least you got an apology and some hugs
@garymarsh6 (13097)
He is two nearly 3! He is quite clever and far more advanced than his sister!
• Riga, Latvia
Sounds like it is time for some serious disciplining so that he realizes he cannot get away with stuff like that. I mean you don't want a problem child like in that movie in the family. He does sound like a good boy so perhaps he is just a moody child. Glad it all worked out and yes, he should not be allowed to get away with rude stuff and not listening to grownups.
@garymarsh6 (13097)
I think he was a bit jealous his sister was there as school is on holiday. He usually is a very good little boy but oh boy he was stubborn. I hope he has learned something from his behaviour yesterday!
I do believe he was testing Grandpa to see if Grandpa would give in to him too. He really may have been needing someone to not give in. Kids feel secure when an adult follows through and does not give in. Glad he made it out of your home in one piece!
@garymarsh6 (13097)
Haha I love your last sentence. My wordy he tried the patience of a saint yesterday but as you said he was testing the waters. Hopefully he learnt something from it yesterday that sometimes No means NO.
They can be lovely and sweet, but they can make you very angry too. You were right to show him who is the adult in the house. I hope he learned a lesson.
@mavlana (1030)
It's common...I hope you enjoyed time with your grandchildren.
@tzwrites (4418)
It sounds like he is a bit spoiled but he might grow out of that type of behaviour