Questions to Ask a Small Town About a Potential Park?

@noni1959 (3664)
I live very rural in Scio, OR. I don't live in town but getting involved with the community. There has been talks about putting in a small park in the little town itself and I'd like to interview a few people about how a park would or wouldn't benefit them. Besides the obvious question if it would or wouldn't, do you have ideas of specific questions I can ask? I'll be in town at the cafe the locals go to and would like to ask a few of the friendly folk. I know why a park would benefit; people have a place to be more physically active, those with small homes can have birthday's with family comfortably, kids can play and socialize, property values go up.... Any ideas to formulate questions?
I'd like to help but can't really think of much. Might it bring undesirables, too many people, would rates be raised?
@noni1959 (3664)
I have a lot of pros and cons down with those items. I was working on questions to get more out of them but maybe the initial question of if they feel it would benefit them can lead to others.
@noni1959 You might find once you start the conversation they'll have plenty to say - in a nice way I mean.
@dpk262006 (56473)
You should not ask them negative question about not building a park. You should ask only positive questions e.g. if you build a park for them, what kinds of benefits do they envisage?
@noni1959 (3664)
That is a good idea to not ask the cons. If they have any, I'm sure they will volunteer them.
@dpk262006 (56473)
@noni1959 Yes, you are right.
@Mike197602 (13899)
I'd say maybe think of questions you may be asked. Like who is going to pay for it and do other services have to be cut back in order for the park to be built. Questions you could ask may be along the lines of what sort of things would you like in the park...a pond/boating lake, a bbq area, a kids playground maybe even a large covered area for bad weather events. In the UK many of these areas are a magnet for teenagers at night so maybe people living close to the area may have some concerns along those lines.
@noni1959 (3664)
The town is a population of 882 and very rural so don't think there will be an issue with teens but someone did mention it may bring homeless further out of the larger towns. The park area will be smaller so the planning will be interesting how and what will be included.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
Sorry, I'm a little to late in responding (since I missed this discussion) to give you any questions. How did it turn out? Are they going to put in a park?
I think you should ask if they want a picnic area in the park, a place to let children play, how many benches, a gazebo where to let the local band play music on holidays. For the moment nothing else come to my mind.
The questions you are going to ask sound really good.