It Was A Bust

Earlier today our real estate agent took me to look at a couple of homes that my husband and I were interested in. He has viewed one of the homes, but not the other. I saw both. The trip was a complete bust. I did not like either home. They were both frame houses, and we want another brick home. One of them was full of additions, and neither of us like that. So, it was a not a very productive trip. How's your day been?
Frame houses are the norm here, you would be hard pressed to have a selection of brick houses to look at. We looked at a lot of houses before we bought this one. Good luck on finding just the right place!
Thanks. My husband was talking to someone at work whose parents own a unit of a row house, and they let him live in it when he returned to our province and since then they've rented it out. He offered it to my husband to rent without a lease until we find a place. I don't relish the thought of moving twice, but I won't buy something that I don't like-its too expensive between your start up fees and the lawyer fees, so we may have to go this other route.
@Juliaacv That is better than buying a place and regretting it. Best to take your time finding one
@paigea There is not a lot on the market up there, I think that its the time of the year. And the buyers don't seem to want to take their time. We are looking into a new area that is going up and might be interested in purchasing a new home there, but if we live there for a while, we may change our minds. We just aren't 100% sure of the exact area that we want to live in, there are 2 cities and 1 town that we could buy in, but we don't know the area well enough yet to make an investment in any of those places. In time we will. We are patient, we just are counting down the days until we are under 1 roof again-that is the biggest thing right now. If we have to move again, so be it.
Sorry to hear that. I hope you find what you are looking for soon. I was snowed in again today..lol but I did manage to get to work for a few hours so that kept the boss happy.
I hope that the warm air melts some of your snow and that it stops! We've got a Plan B for moving, its not ideal, but it might be a temporary solution if we cannot find a home to buy. There are so few homes on the market up there right now, and we've already lost one to someone who bought it before we could view it. We would have lost it had we seen it and gone into a bidding war, because they bought without a home inspection-nothing we'd ever do.
@Juliaacv Not wise to make an investment like that without a home inspection. I am glad you at least have a Plan B.
@Happy2BeMe No, its not something that we'd ever do with such a big purchase. Plan B might be a reality as we have to be out of this place in 43 days-and counting.......
@MarymargII (6068)
• Toronto, Ontario
Hope now the agent knows what you want- that was disappointing- they should be listening to what you want.
Our agent knows what we want, but their job is to sell you a home. He's had calls from a few owners who want to list in June and July, so we may be waiting.
• Toronto, Ontario
@Juliaacv Hope you won't have to wait so long- is there any more on the market right now?
@MarymargII No, and the homes for sale are not what we are looking for. We want another rancher, where everything is on one floor. So he's made a friend at work, and when he moved back to this province he went thru this and his parents bought a place for him to live in and since he's bought another place, it is vacant and he's offered it to us to rent without a contract, so we can move out when we buy a place we like. It was a very kind gesture and although we don't want to move twice, we don't want to buy twice either.
Hope you find the perfect house. Sometimes it takes awhile but it's there!
I know, we are going to focus on packing this place up, all the while looking, but we have a place that we can rent as long as we need it and then just give as much notice as we can when we purchase. It usually takes 60 days to close on a house, and they said that they'd accept that or less if it happens. We don't know the exact city to buy in, we want to explore the entire area.
@Juliaacv I'm happy to hear you have a place to rent while you are house hunting. Kind of takes the pressure off and you won't have to rush making your decision
@Marilynda1225 Yeah, its a very generous offer, and it will allow us to really explore the whole area and figure out just where we want to live.
@PainsOnSlate (15435)
Finding the right house is not easy, when we were looking we saw so many that there was not a chance we would by but when the right one did come we knew it the moment we walked in...I hope your journey is fast and a happy one. Fingers crossed for you.
Thank you, we knew right away with all of the homes that we've owned. Sadly, this time of the year there are not a lot of homes on the market, and we do not know the market in this area very well. My husband has been approached by someone that has a townhouse in their family, his parents bought it when he moved back to Ontario, and when he bought a place he moved out but they have managed to keep it occupied by others in the same boat. We might be next! We just cannot fathom the thought of all of the costs associated with purchasing a house if it is the wrong house and we'll move shortly afterwards. And with spending so much time apart, we just want to be under one roof together again! 42 days and counting.....
@Juliaacv We always rented, for years and years because we knew we would be moving in a short while. Our first and last home was purchased when we retired. Renting is a good way to go, when you can't find what you want. If you go that way then you can take your time looking for your forever home without feeling pressed to do it. Just make sure you don't have to stay in a rental for a long time so you can leave when you want to... Good luck to you.
@PainsOnSlate This was our forever home, I don't know if the next one will be a 10 year home and then we'll move when we retire, or if the next one will be it.
I'm sorry you didn't like either of them. I hope the right home comes along soon for you. My day has been busy but good. =)
I feel that you walked down this same "find a house" trail not too long ago.
@Juliaacv Yes absolutely, it was frustrating but with time we found the perfect one for us. I know you will too! =)
@LovingMyBabies I'm counting on that. We only have another 43 days here.
so sorry.You are smart t here do not rush into things.Get what you wanted.
We are trying, in the end we are both really stubborn and know what we want, so we'll get it, but it may take some time.
@Juliaacv Stubbor is good.LOL
@amadeo We must share that trait you and I.
• Peoria, Arizona
That is a shame, I hope you find something. I have no idea what a brick house would be like.
Really? The first 2 homes that my husband and I lived in were frame, but this one is brick. We find it quieter, we hear less noise from outside, especially when its windy, and it feels warmer. So we want another brick home, we might have to look into building one this summer. Its a thought, I'm not too keen on it because there are so many decisions to make, but he tells me that it might be the only way to get exactly what we want.
• Peoria, Arizona
@Juliaacv I have only lived in my little trailer haha built with wood and drywall and only one part is actually insulated. You could build your own, it has become a common thing to do these days.
@DesirousDreamer I think that the difference is our locations. In Canada we get really cold weather, and a trailer is all right if you are in town, but out here we get a lot of wind, and it wouldn't be a very warm place to live. That's why we want brick, but you probably don't have such a need for it where you are.
I'm sorry it was a bust on those homes. There's a brick out there for you. You have time, and your real estate agent knows what you're looking for as well. You'll find it.
We have the very same faith, but we also know that we need to exercise patience. My husband was telling me that he has a guy that he works with who stayed in a townhouse that his parents own and when he moved out they started to rent it. He said we could rent it without a fixed term contract and live there until we find a place to buy. That was awfully generous, this guy knows what we are going thru.
@Juliaacv That is very generous of him. God is GOOD!
It has been a very busy day at work but a good one. You will know when you've found the right home.
Yes we will, and we hope that its soon, otherwise we'll stay at a place a co-worker of his parents own and rent it (without a lease) and then move again when we find the perfect place. There are so few homes on the market right now.
@marsha32 (5450)
We looked at a ton of houses before we found this one. There are just certain things you look for. For me the biggest things were an extra bedroom for my craft room, a clothesline in the backyard and 2 full bathrooms. Good luck in finding what you are looking for!
We want a 2-bedroom with 2 bathrooms and at least a double car garage. But most 2 bedroom homes are starter or retiree homes and don't come with the other things we want......this is tricky. And there isn't a lot on the market at this time of they year.
Hopefully you will find a house that you both like.
In time I'm sure that we will.
@rina110383 (21124)
My day started 2 hours ago. Still have 6 more hours here at work.
Have a great day!
It is a shame you wasted a day looking at unsuitable homes. Are you visiting your 'new' home town?
We were in the region. There are 2 cities and 1 town all within 20 minutes of each other, and we are not sure where we want to live yet. The one city that our son lives in we feel is a bit too large for us, so that narrows things down. We'll figure it all out pretty soon I hope.
Hope you find a nice home soon and, my day has been pretty good.
Good to hear
We have sold three homes and purchased four over the years. Finding the right home is definitely a lengthy process. Selling was easy for homes 1 and 2, but selling home 3 took forever.
This is our third home also, and it took 18 months to sell it. But the region in which we live is doing thru a bit of a downward spiral economically, so the offers that we have received were too low for us to sell. But we take our time buying, and won't buy something that we are unsure of.
@PatZAnthony (6362)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
At least you have marked some places off the list. That would make it seem a productive trip to some.
There are so few homes on the market up there right now, but we have a Plan B that we may have to execute.
Sorry that you didn't find a suitable house for you yet. That is a pain in the neck to take time for that especially in the winter.
I agree, and that is why there aren't a lot of homes on the market. But we had our home here on the market for a really long time, so everything, his new job and the sale of the house, all fell into place at the perfect time. And now we're looking forward to a new chapter in our lives, living closer to our son and downsizing just a little bit.
My was good day .I studies several lessons related to exams.
@LoriAMoore (8338)
• Louisville, Kentucky
It's been a pretty good day. It's tiring, but you'll have to keep looking until you fine the home that speaks to you.