A Busy Day for a Change

Bunbury, Australia
Today will be a busy day in our terms. We have accepted an invitation to view a retirement village in Bunbury, Western Australia, about 30kms away. We have no intentions of selling up any time soon but at 70, we need to start considering our options. Once we can no longer drive, we won't be able to stay here. And they are giving us free morning tea so what's not too like? In the afternoon I'm going to our writing group meeting. The group has grown in size lately and we have 12 to 15 at our meetings. I haven't done the homework yet but it's only 6am here – plenty of time yet! In the evening we'll be going to our social lawn bowls evening. Last week, bowls was cancelled because of the rain we were having but tomorrow looks like being a lovely evening. Hopefully I'll be able to get to most myLot posts before we leave for Bunbury. Must remember to take my camera.
@xFiacre (8346)
@judyev I may be 10 years behind you but I'm making note of the options available for my impending old(er) age. The South of Italy's looking good!!
I rather fancy being a permanent resident on the Queen Mary II. Great meals and entertainment every night - sounds good to me.
@xFiacre (8346)
@JudyEv There are those who sell their houses and just cruise continually. If you choose judiciously you can catch inexpensive cruises and you have all your meals, entertainment, company, security, doctor all included in the price. You even have a chaplain to look after you if you fall I'll, pop your clogs or suffer any other such misfortune. It works out cheaper than a retirement home. I have a friend who is a retired but very active church minister and he has landed a job as ship chaplain and gets free food and board for him and his wife in return for one Sunday service a week and one hour a day visiting anyone who falls ill.
@xFiacre There are 'reward' schemes once you've been with the same cruise line a few times too. Great job for your friend as a chaplain. I wonder what we could offer? We met a couple who ran the bridge sessions and some older single men who were employed to look after (dance with) older single women. But I don't think the QMII needs a bus converted.
Yes,we should have done this.But we did not want to leave the School house.It is our family
It depends where you are living at the time. We will be really stuck if we are still living here when we can't drive.
@JudyEv None of you cannot drive?
@amadeo We both drive at the moment but one day we may not be able to and when that happens we won't really be able to stay here.
Its smart of you both to keep your options open and to be aware of what they are. This downsizing that we are doing is proving to be very difficult on my husband. He has a lot of large tools-a table saw, grinder, drill press.......but he hasn't used them in years and I'm trying to remind him that he doesn't need them and he can sell them, but you know what a relationship a man develops with his tools over the years-jeez!
This concerns me a bit too. We really would need to get rid of a lot of tools before we shift. The garage has quite a bit of storage but some of our stuff is quite bulky, just like your husbands. And certainly it is hard for them to part with these things.
@JudyEv He has his larger tools, the table saw and some other things on individual stands, the table saw is on a wheeled little stand so you can push it back against the wall when its not in use. But I don't think that he's turned it on in the last 5 years, we have most of our stuff hired out these days.
@Juliaacv It is good that you are able to hire out your items. And some of these things you don't use often but they are still extremely handy to have when you do need them.
Sounds like you have a busy day a head of you. No dont forget your camera. We will be looking forward to seeing any pictures that you take.
The retirement village had really lovely gardens. I have a few photos of some of the flowers.
@JudyEv I look forward to seeing them
Nothing like keeping oneself busy. I wonder what I would do if I had nothing to keep me occupied. That idea of shifting to a home for seniors seems good provided that home is where you home will be.
It won't be for at least a few years, hopefully a good few years, but we need to start getting more information about what's available.
A busy bee at work.
Yes, it's been a good day and I'll post about it in the morning.
@PatZAnthony (7472)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
You seem to be so active and busy, can't imagine your being in a place that has the word "retirement" attached to it.
Basically we could be just as active somewhere else. These villages even have places to store your caravan or motor-home so you can go traipsing off if you want to.
Sounds a good day and, hope you will like the village.
The village was quite nice but I think there are probably others that are equally as nice if not even better. We just getting information at the moment.
@DeborahDiane (11529)
• Laguna Woods, California
@JudyEv - Since I write a retirement blog here in the U.S., I will be curious to hear what you learn about the retirement community in Australia. Are they pretty much the same as ours? Let me know what you think.
I'll do a post on it in a day or two. We'll be looking at a few before we make a decision. We're not in a hurry.
• Laguna Woods, California
@JudyEv - I'll look forward to your post. Tag me in it, so I don't miss it!
@DeborahDiane I'll do that.
Is your profile picture current or from years ago? I did not realize you and your husband were in your 70s so I was a bit shocked reading this post!
The photo is less than 12 months ago but I chose it very carefully. Vince turns 70 in April. I married a toyboy but something went wrong in the intervening years.
@JudyEv wow you look amazing! I hope I look that youthful at 70. I always looked older then I was as a teen and I loved it then... Now with wrinkles at a very young age I hate it!
@shaggin As I said, I chose carefully. :) Thanks for the kind words.
true, it would be good to have a goal of a where in mind already
We don't want to rush into a decision before we're had a good look at what's available.
@JudyEv especially one that big
@Gillygirl (9693)
• Sutton, England
It is always best to cover options as there may be a day when you wish to relocate to a retirement village. Enjoy bowling.
We will have to move one day but at the moment we're just getting a feel for what's out there.
@Gillygirl (9693)
• Sutton, England
@JudyEv The photos I've seen look great.
That certainly sounds a busy day....your camera captures interesting pics.
I have some nice garden photos from the village so I'll put them up one day soon.
@garymarsh6 (9984)
Well there is no harm in having a look to see if it is something you would like. It would be a lot easier on you living in such a community and getting established there while you are still very active. You lead quite a busy life and I think that is what keeps people going! Taking a look won't be a waste of time!
That is exactly our thinking. We will look at more than one and try to get as much information as we can about what's available.
• Manitou Springs, Colorado
Busy day. Hope it was successful!
Thanks. It's been a good day. I'll write more about it soon.
You are busy.You will decide what is best and do that.
Yes. We need to make sure you understand exactly what we are buying into. Hopefully we won't need to move for a good few years yet.
@katsmeow1213 (27500)
Sounds quite enjoyable! Have a great day!
Thanks it was a good day. We're just heading off to bed now.
@AutumnSnow (4607)
Sounds like it was a good day. Have a relaxing evening.
Thank you. It has been a good day and I hope to write more about it later.
@valmnz (10742)
• New Zealand
Good on you for thinking ahead! Enjoy the afternoon tea! I do know, however, you'll stay where you are for as long as you can!
The refreshments were really nice - salmon, capers and cream cheese club sandwiches, chocolate eclairs, beestings and other goodies. Maybe my post should be about what we ate rather than what we saw.
@valmnz (10742)
• New Zealand
@JudyEv food always makes for good reading
@valmnz (10742)
• New Zealand
@JudyEv what are blessings -apart from stings from bees?
It's better to consider the available options until we are well enough to go around and visit different places.
That is true. We need to be mentally alert enough to read and understand the fine print before putting our signature to anything. One of these types of villages was in the news recently. The owners sold the land to developers who served the residents with eviction notices as they wanted to pull down the units and put in high-rise apartments. You do need to be very careful about what you sign.
@JudyEv We live in difficult days, we need to be careful and read every document twice.
@LadyDuck That's very true. We heard of one that serves meals but if you are away you still get charged for the meals. So those sorts of things need to be looked at carefully.