A Governor and A Reality Show

@Raelove (17748)
Saco, Maine
In some ways, I think it's safe to say that the state of Maine can be compared to the state of Alaska from the point of view of the colorful array of people who are said to live in both. That might be applied to quirky events, too, I believe, based on the account of a television show that became quite popular during its duration but that the governor succeeded in putting the kibosh to in 2016. Titled "North Woods Law," the reality show was focused entirely on the adventures of the state's Game Warden Service, and starred actual members of that force. Broadcast on the Animal Planet Network, footage was obtained by a camera crew that followed the wardens into the woods all year long, bringing poachers and drunken ATV'ers to justice, and fishing dead bodies out of ponds and lakes. It became an instant hit among Maine's TV viewers, but the Governor (LePage) was having none of it. He felt that the show placed the state in a bad light and put pressure on its producers to cancel it. It didn't help matters any that, in its last season, footage is thought to have unearthed a sting operation in northern Maine that involved a family of hunters who spent the entire year beyond official hunting seasons bagging venison and other game. That said, the governor decided that Maine could do without all that bad publicity, and the show was terminated shortly thereafter. Episodes from the show are still being run on some stations here, and I read recently that the company that produces the show has contracted with the State of New Hampshire to film it there, as there is still a lot of interest in watching illegal snowmobilers get arrested by game wardens after a high speed chase. It's said that the truth is stranger than fiction, which is the stuff that reality shows are made of. Fortunately for the producers, some things just never change...unless you happen to live in a state whose governor thinks otherwise. (Public Domain Image)
The production company behind the reality TV show “North Woods Law” is set to start filming in New Hampshire after forming a partnership with that state’s
These types of shows are popular here too but they don't come up very often.
@Raelove (17748)
• Saco, Maine
I'm not crazy about them, as I deplore sensationalism and glorification. Before someone got the idea of using these guys to attract TV viewers, they were just out there doing their jobs. Now, they're celebrities of sorts.
@Raelove Some of our customs officials seem very belligerent in the TV shows so I know exactly what you're saying.
I have seen that show listed and wondered about it. I bet the scenery would make it all worthwhile.
@Raelove (17748)
• Saco, Maine
At times it does, but the action is so fast-paced, you don't get to see much of it. And it's definitely not the focus of the show.
@Raelove .....I examine shows I like, background, dialogue.....all that stuff.
I used to watch that show now and again and always enjoyed the scenery so much. Yes the governor had his way didn't he. Too bad it was such a good show.
@Raelove (17748)
• Saco, Maine
It could be at times, and I know a couple of the wardens who were on it, too.
@Raelove Oh cool Rachel
@garymarsh6 (14735)
I have not seen this show although I enjoy watching border control programmes. The bare faced cheek of some people smuggling stuff is amazing!
@Raelove (17748)
• Saco, Maine
I'm sure. These shows deal mostly with hunting/fishing, etc. violations, off-road vehicles, snowmobiles on posted land, that sort of thing. But it makes for good entertainment for those who like this sort of heightened-drama thing.
I have seen a couple episodes of North Woods Law that were filmed in Maine.
@Raelove (17748)
• Saco, Maine
They've all been filmed in Maine until last year. Now it seems that NH is going to do the honors.