Pikes Peak

Colorado Springs, Colorado
You see my really groovy mountain bike in the above photo? Well, don't look at that. See the rock formation behind it? That's Garden of the Gods, which I'll be getting to soon, but don't look at that, either. At the top of the picture, on the right, is Pikes Peak, often referred to around these parts as "America's Mountain." Thought to be 1.05 billion years old, Pikes Peak is located 12 miles west of Colorado Springs (although Manitou Springs, where I live, sits at the foot of the mountain.) The National Historic Landmark is one of Colorado's 53 "fourteener's," which are mountains that are at least 14,000 feet in elevation (at 14,115 feet, Pikes Peak is the 30th highest in the state.) Although he failed to summit, Zebulon Pike was the first American to discover the mountain in 1806 (it is thought that Spanish explorer's saw Pikes Peak first, way back in the 1700's.) Young scientist Edwin James is credited with the first summit (1820,) while Julia Archibald Holmes was the first woman to make it to the top, in 1858. Inspired by the view from the summit, Katherine Lee Bates wrote the song "America the Beautiful" in 1893. The mountain has hosted the annual Pikes Peak International Hill Climb auto race since 1916, and also the yearly Pikes Peak Ascent (in which crazy people run to the top,) and Pikes Peak Marathon (up and back.) Bates' song is sung before the start of both footraces (I know this because both the Ascent and the Marathon literally start on the street right in front of our apartment door!) A ski area existed on Pikes Peak for roughly 50 years (I skied there once in the 80's, and was not impressed, so I wasn't surprised when it folded the following year.) At present, a hiking and mountain biking trail called "Ring the Peak," which will circumnavigate the mountain, is nearing completion. You can reach the summit by car on the Pikes Peak Highway, by train via the Pikes Peak Cog Railway, which starts here in Manitou, or by hiking up Barr Trail (which also originates in Manitou.) Pretty cool, huh? Now you can look at my bike! (Photo by me) (Info verified by Wikipedia)
It looks a very long way away. Cool bike!
Thank you. It's really not that far from that spot, honestly. A little over 12 miles.
@teamfreak16 Sometimes places look further away than they are.
• Lakewood, Colorado
Cool photo too Scott. I never knew all this about Pikes Peak. Good bit of relevant history it has for sure. You are blessed to live so close to all that too friend. I would love to go there one day.
Thank you. Are you still in Denver? You're only about 75 miles away!
• Lakewood, Colorado
@teamfreak16 I live in Lakewood but some say Denver..I am between city Denver and Golden West right off Colfax. Yes, but no car and no light rail..Gosh I wish that light rail would go more places! Or even coaches or something. I know the Amtrak goes up to Winter Park I think.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@teamfreak16 I do as well Scott..don't die either lolz I also want to go to the drumming thingie you had written about.
That's a awesome photo everything in it is cool pikes peak, the garden of the Gods and, the bike, also sounds like a awesome place to hike, what kind of wild animals out there?
Marmots, Bighorn Sheep, Black Bears, and I've read there are like 130 species of birds. There are also three lakes in which you can fish.
@teamfreak16 Would love to see Big Horn Sheep those things are awesome and, maybe a Black Bear from a mile away lol, fishing and, watching the birds would be a blast too.
@TRBRocks420 - Here's a photo of a Bighorn Sheep that I took while mountain biking in Waterton Canyon outside of Denver one 4th of July back in the 90's.
Cool bike and cool peak!! Fortunate that my dad took us to see Pikes Peak. Most boring car ride to get there from IL, but worth the boredom.
Thank you. I love my bike. I'm glad you got to see Pikes Peak. Everyone should come here and see it at least once. I get to see it everyday!
I visited Pike's Peak when I was a kid. Can't go to CO without seeing Pike's Peak and Royal Gorge.
The Royal Gorge is pretty fun. I even went on the bridge, and I have an insane fear of heights. A lot of stuff at the Gorge was destroyed by a forest fire a couple years ago, but not the bridge.
@Dena91 (3479)
I watched a show on the travel channel last week about Pike's Peak and Zebulon Pike. Very interesting. Beautiful picture, of everything.
Oh, thank you. I would have liked to have seen that.