Seize the moment

Winston Salem, North Carolina
Spring like weather has arrived in our area of the world, and with it the urge to get out and do things. Between work, school and theatre commitments our weekdays are pretty full. This weekend isn’t much better. My husband and second son had scheduled a day-long work project as part of a barter deal that he is involved in that should eventually result in a new hard-wood floor part of my house and my girls have a birthday gathering to attend this afternoon that will keep them busy. Yesterday my husband came home from work with the itch to get out an enjoy the sunshine and fresh air. It was a great idea; I only wish he had given me a heads-up earlier in the day, since then I could have been prepared with alternate supper plans. Within 15 minutes the five of us that were available were loaded up and on our way to Pilot Mountain State Park, a beautiful monadnock (an isolated mountain) just north of Winston-Salem, North Carolina. We had intended to stay for the sunset, but park hours haven’t yet been adjusted for the lengthening days and there were plenty of signs stating that the park closed at 6 PM and the summit needed to be vacated at 5:45 (about 18 minutes before sunset). The short hike around the Big Pinnacle was invigorating, and the view was worth the effort. Our lives are busy and there is always work to do around the house and yard when we aren’t occupied elsewhere, but it’s refreshing to drop everything and just go have fun for a little while!
@Morleyhunt (15942)
I went for a spontaneous walk yesterday afternoon. Today I'm hanging my laundry outside for the first time in 2017. The spring like weather makes me want to get outside. Maybe another walk this afternoon.
I haven't had to use my dryer in about 2 weeks. Yesterday I ended up taking it down after dark...
@Morleyhunt (15942)
@Platespinner it's gotten really windy...I might be picking mine up in Gasline.
I haven't hung laundry outside in years but I do remember how wonderful they smelled when I brought them in from the line
It's nice here too, not cold but not hot so I chased Ally around awhile then pulled some weeds. It's the first seesaw season we're in, it'll probably cool off again before it starts to remain either warm or hot.
it's been spring-like more often than not the past week. It's the kind of weather when we go through a LOT of kindling because I have to start the wood heater from scratch every morning, and then have the windows standing open by mid afternoon because it's too warm in the house.
I don't have a wood heater but then there isn't that much wood around here so that's probably a good thing @Platespinner as for temps, it's normal to get warm weather this time of year but what was weird was getting cold weather in mid December.
@rebelann We heat with wood because we have an over abundance of the stuff .
@UncleJoe (8063)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Ah, yes! Seize the moment or the day. Carpe Diem. Not to be confused with SHARPAY Diem, which means, seize the wrinkled dog!"
And I thought sharpay diem mean scribble with permanent markers .
....and now you've sent me off down another rabbit trail. Seize the wrinkled dog would be Carpe Sharpei.
@UncleJoe (8063)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@Platespinner I know you ain't from these here parts but I think you know what I meant. LOL
The weather here is supposed to be pretty nice for the next 8-9 days, I need to get out in the yard and clean up some of the winter debris.
I still need to clean up some of the autumn debris. There are still leaves in my yard...and a carpet of hickory nuts and acorns.
@Platespinner I have a sweet gum tree in the front yard that drops spiky balls all over plus plenty of branches from older trees...I wish we didn't have a burn ordinance, I'd have a nice bonfire
@JolietJake We have those spiky balls as well. At least those I can rake up, the acorns and hickory nuts defy the leaf rake.
@MarymargII (8196)
• Toronto, Ontario
Yes that was a wonderful plan and it often is worth taking the time- you can't get those days back when family are at home- so extra special!
We're on borrowed time with some of our children as it is. My nest could conceivably be completely empty in another 2 years .
• Toronto, Ontario
@Platespinner Remember those days- good and sad and memories in-between!
Spring is finally here too and yes it has been very hectic at home but today we enjoyed an outing with the kids too. We went to a wonderful park, the kids loved it. I love nature!
I love spending time outside, and so does the rest of my family!
@Platespinner it's so good for breaking up the dull routine.
@Gillygirl (15292)
• Sutton, England
The view looks glorious in the photo. It's been warm and sunny here today. Same for tomorrow forecast so hoping to go to the coast for a breath of sea air.
We love living within an easy drive of mountains and hiking trails. This photo shows the Big Pinnacle of Pilot Mountain with Sauratown Mountain and Hanging Rock in the background. We live somewhere on the left (to the south) of the three mountains.
@Gillygirl (15292)
• Sutton, England
@Platespinner A superb location.
We are having warm temps and sunshine a plenty here too. Did gardening in February yesterday, and that is just plain weird for our area.
I planted spinach, snow peas and radishes a week or so ago. I used old seeds I found in the basement so we shall see if anything actually comes up.
No matter how busy life gets it is always nice to take some time for a fun family outing. Sounds like a great day. I am one of those spur of the moment people. I rarely make plans ahead it is always last minute but always a good time.
I enjoy the spur of the moment things, but it makes feeding my family economically a bit of a challenge sometimes.
@Platespinner yes I can imagine it would
Good to have a timeout once in a while. My friends went hiking the other weekend and I enjoyed looking at their pictures. I could not go with them as I.have asthma.
I enjoy hiking, and thankfully don't have any health issues that keep me from enjoying the fresh air and sunshine.
@Platespinner good for you. I would love to try that too but afraid that I would get an asthma attack if I did.
Sometimes, we really have to put a stop to what we are doing in order to catch some beautiful times of the day. It actually refreshes us ,so after that we are ready to do some more works.
Trying to juggle six different schedules makes it hard to do anything spontaneous. I'm glad we were able to get out and enjoy the evening.
Sometimes it's good to change plans and go have some fun.
We don't often have the freedom to drop everything like that, its nice when we are able to!
@LoriAMoore (9542)
A hike sounds good. We're going to stroll through the zoo tomorrow.
I'll be sitting behind the wheel of my car of 10+ hours tomorrow...
@gveican (56)
• Spain
I'm glad you had a good day. Where I live is still cold, but still I like to go for a walk on the beach especially when there is bad weather.
I envy you your beach!
Sometimes the best memories are made from being spontaneous. Your trek sound invigorating and it must have felt good to get out in the fresh air
We always enjoy getting outside for a hike.
It sounds like a lot of fun
We had a good time!
Spring weather has arrived here as well. Much earlier than usual and after a pretty pathetic winter. I won't complain as long as the sun keeps shining.
The arrival of spring is always welcomed. There's something about sunshine and longer days that does an amazing job of lifting the spirits!
And I think those spontaneous moments are very important. I'm glad you dropped everything and went.
I am too, but it had me scrambling last night to take care of everything that was dropped in mid process.
@skysnap (17579)
I like going outdoors every now and then.
I love spending time outside, but it's really easy to get too busy with other things!
That looks and sounds like a beautiful place to go for a hike. It is nice out today but I don't have the ambition to do anything. I can't wait until it is warm all the time and my son and I can go outside often.