My Idea of a Quiet Saturday at Home and Hers

CC0 Pixabay
@DWDavis (10775)
Pikeville, North Carolina
My idea of a quiet Saturday at home is to sleep in, relax over breakfast with a cup of coffee, do a little net surfing, check in on Facebook, check in on myLot, maybe spend some time in the yard with the dogs if the weather is nice, work on my latest story idea, and, basically, enjoy a day with no deadlines or to-do list. Her idea of a quiet Saturday at home is to get up at 7, hurry through breakfast, check Facebook for anything important (as if there ever is), and start thinking up projects around the house for us to work on all day until we collapse, exhausted, in the evening. She is in a tizzy right now because she worked the vacuum so much so hard this morning it overheated and shorted out. This was after she'd dusted the whole downstairs and deposited all the stuff on my side table in to the seat of my recliner with orders to throw away the junk and only keep what I needed. Then she told me my share of the chores today consisted of cleaning all the toilets, sinks, tubs, and mirrors, sweeping and mopping the kitchen, laundry room, and bathroom floors, and TBD. She sees housework as a productive way to spend time. I see housework as a necessary evil to keep the house livable. She looks at a clean house and smiles contentedly. I look at a clean house and just think the dang thing will need to be cleaned again soon, so what was the point. Whose idea of a Quiet Saturday at Home do you identify best with?
Hey, if she loves housework so much, she can do it to her heart's content but leave you out of it!
@DWDavis (10775)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
If only. She believes it is only fair to share her joy with me by coercing me to participate.
@DWDavis She is "spreading the wealth"!
I would enjoy your idea of a quiet Saturday much better. Lol. I am not someone who's crazy about housework. As you said, it's a necessary evil.
@DWDavis (10775)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Housework and yardwork are things that must be done, but no one ever said they were going to be fun. Except my wife. She loves yard work. I think it harkens her back to her days growing up on the farm.
I bet if it was left to you , the house would be a disaster.
@DWDavis (10775)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Actually, because of my military background, I rarely let things go around the house. The real difference is I do housework because it has to be done and she'll find things to do even when they aren't necessary just to be doing something.
@Platespinner (16532)
I've been fighting the dust and dirt myself today and had the girls help me this morning. My other half has been getting the planks for our future hardwood floor planed (an all day job with one of the sons in attendance). I'm spending a few minutes here while waiting for my batch of granola to bake, and then I'm off for to indulge in some sewing therapy.
@DWDavis (10775)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
We got the regular chores done and now onto our big spring project. I'm laying carpet tiles in the sunroom while my missus washes the window. My orthopedist would pitch a fit if he could see all the bending and kneeling I'm doing.
@DWDavis I'm sure the missus appreciates your hard work and self sacrifice.
@DWDavis (10775)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@Platespinner She does. Today she's showing it by making me a huge batch of homemade Chex Mix.
I like yours best, house work won't die so it can wait
@DWDavis (10775)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
We never have anyone over. All our entertaining is done at the campsite when we go camping. I do make sure our camper and campsite are ship shape and Bristol Fashion, mind you.
Well, you do have a different set of rules to follow since you don't live alone @DWDavis but, although I'm not alone exactly, I don't have to worry about anyone being offended if I put cleaning off until I feel dern good n ready to do it.
@AutumnSnow (4585)
My husband is truck driver and so he is gone a lot through the week at times all the week. So I try and get things done through the week and usually on Thursday nights the kids and I go through and make sure everything is done so we can enjoy the weekend with him. Sometimes we have things planned for the weekend but a lot of time we spend most of the time at home just relaxing and spending time together.
@DWDavis (10775)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
My wife and I both work full-time and our sons are grown and out of the house. Since we haven't managed to train the dogs and cat to clean the house, we have to do it on the weekends. I'm sure your husband appreciates you and the kids getting all that done during the week so he can spend time with you while he's home.
@DWDavis My two older girls will be out of the soon and Im sure it will be different then. Im sure by then my younger will two will appericated their older siblings then,lol. Wouldnt that be nice if we could train our pets to do that,lol My cats have learned to open the door,lol but thats about as far as it goes and my dog tells on the kids,lol.
Although I do often, of my own accord, do a lot of housework on Saturday's, I'm with you all the way!
@DWDavis (10775)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
We got the housework done before lunch. Now I'm laying carpet tiles in the sunroom - our big spring project, though it's not spring by the calendar. It is in the 70s today. (about 19C-ish)
I do the same as your wife. My husband has quiet Saturdays and Sundays, but I never do. I just do it all.
@DWDavis (10775)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
My wife would do it all, but I cannot bear up under the load of guilt inducing stares and sighs she would send my way, so I help as much as I can. With my fibro and arthritis, she knows I can only do so much.
@Fishmomma (11523)
I'm on your side, as sleep in great idea and I don't enjoy house cleaning. Yard work I'm fine with just not in the morning, as better for the evening.
I'm with you. I see housework as a necessary evil.
@dfollin (12434)
I agree with you about a quiet Saturday!
@katsmeow1213 (29029)
Hers but I'm too lazy to do it. I started to clean out the fridge, then I texted my husband and said we need a new fridge because ours is too filthy. Then I sat down to play a game for awhile!
I like your idea of a quiet Saturday better than the idea of quietly cleaning up.