Sunroom Renovations take a Big Step

Work In Progress Yesterday
@DWDavis (10775)
Pikeville, North Carolina
Yesterday I put down most of the new carpeting in our sunroom. All that's left to do is the edges where the pieces have to be cut to fit. This final bit will not happen for a few days. My joints need to recover from being on my hands and knees most of yesterday afternoon. We are currently looking at different styles of patio furniture to put out here in the sunroom. Our goal is to make it both a place we can enjoy a meal and a room to sit in and relax while enjoying the outdoors without the bugs. I'm hoping it will be a place I can spend time writing in an open and inviting atmosphere. I loaded a picture I took during the installation phase yesterday. Do you have a place like my sunroom at home where you can step outside the house without having to go outside?
I do not have a sunroom but I have been in one and loved it. No picture is showing up :-( Did you resize it?
@DWDavis (10775)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I usually don't have to resize the photos I take with my phone, but I'll give it a try.
@DWDavis I never had to either until about a week ago. It is such a hassle.
@DWDavis The photo is showing now it looks like you are laying carpet squares?
@Platespinner (16532)
We have a deck across the front of our house furnished with a glass top table that seats 6 (complete with chairs), two rocking chairs, a bench, an arm chair, and an iron bistro table with two chairs. There is nothing to stop the bugs so it doesn't get used much in the evening in summertime, but on nice days in the spring and fall, and in the early morning in the summer it is our preferred hang-out place.
@DWDavis (10775)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Oddly enough, we've used our sunroom for many things over the years, but this will be the first time we've ever furnished it to be used as a sunroom.
@DWDavis We've had rooms like that. In fact our "family room" has been bedroom to our sons ever since we moved here. In our previous dwelling a long hallway/mudroom was divided up to be a bedroom for one of our sons on one side and a small sewing room for me on the other. Even in our current home one of the bedrooms (in a two bedroom house) is being used as family room.
Oh too bad that photo wouldn't upload. I would have loved to see your handiwork DW. What a beautiful room that will be. No sunroom here, but the sun streams in the patio doors full force in the morning. Nice.
@DWDavis (10775)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I'll try resizing the photo. Usually the shots I take with my phone work fine, but...
@DWDavis (10775)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I resized it and it worked.
@DWDavis I see it now DW..looks like a good bit of work..you are so resourceful friend! Wish to see it now when it is finished..really nice to have a sunroom.
It sounds like a wonderful room to have. We just redid our sun room before we came to Florida. An area rug is being held until our return, and window treatments need to be chosen. This is part of our newly remodeled room.
@DWDavis (10775)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
It's a beautiful room. It looks like a nice place to entertain, or just relax.
@DWDavis Thank you. It's our family room. The only one that I have to worry about being in there is Doodles, the cat. His claws get stuck in the fabric weave. Bad kitty, but he loves looking out the windows for critters.
it's nice to see the progress! we have a small sunroom as well. i sometimes forget to hang out in there. i prefer it in the winter months when i can turn on the heater & it is cozy. in the warm months, it is too warm
@DWDavis (10775)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
We bought an electric "fireplace" for our sunroom this winter, but have rarely used it due to the unusually mild weather. Except when it gets very hot in summer, we can close the sunroom windows, open the door to the living room, set a fan in the doorway, and cool the sunroom off enough to enjoy it.
@DWDavis i sat in mine last night after reading you post. :-)
No not yet but I hope one day.
@DWDavis (10775)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
This is the first time we've had one. It's not fancy, but we enjoy it.
@DWDavis I dont need fancy either
@tzwrites (4584)
It looks like a nice space, I'm sure it will be a relaxing place once it is furnished
@DWDavis (10775)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
It has a nice view, surrounded by woods on three sides and a small hill on the fourth. We can see our neighbors, but they're not right on top of us.
@rina110383 (24145)
Yes, at my parents' place. It's where my dad writes and reads books. Sometimes, it's where he works. It saves electricity.
@DWDavis (10775)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I spent some time yesterday out here in the sunroom working, and have been out here since I got home from work today. Even though the rooms not finished, it is more relaxing to work out here than in my office or living room.
That will be lovely. we have a front porch , but it's not enclosed.
@DWDavis (10775)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Our sunroom started life as a deck, but for so much of the year we could hardly use it because of all the bugs.
@katsmeow1213 (29029)
No, but I wish I did. We looked at a house with a nice sun room.. but we aren't quite yet ready to move.
@DWDavis (10775)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Our sunroom started life as a deck, but the deck couldn't be used in winter or summer.
No, not really but we have huge windows and French doors in the lounge so we have good views of the outside.
@DWDavis (10775)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
That sounds very nice. Other than the sunroom, none of our windows offers much of a view.
That floor is going to be lovely. Such a fine job you are doing. We do not have a sunroom in this house. We had a large gazebo at our last house, and that was a nice place to be in summer.
@DWDavis (10775)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
My wife and I considered building a screened gazebo in the backyard, instead of the sunroom. We might still, at some point. There's a clearing in the woods just past the fence that would be perfect for one.
No sun room but we have a porch that covered at the top. I like sitting out there is the summer.
@DWDavis (10775)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
My grandmother's house had a porch like that. I used to stay there for a week or so every summer and loved sitting on the porch with my granddaddy, listening to his stories. A lot of afternoons we got to watch thunderstorms roll in across the fields opposite the house. I have many fond front porch memories from those days.
Not living in a town house. Sunrooms used to be a standard feature for more affluent homes in the Victorian era.
@DWDavis (10775)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Ours isn't quite that fancy. It's a modular type we had installed over an existing deck shortly after we moved in. It was time for a facelift.
@UncleJoe (9461)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
No. And my office is a converted bedroom on the second floor. Stepping out would mean jacking my old carcass up and down the stairs. It would be nice to have a second floor deck though.
@DWDavis (10775)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
IF, notice it's a big IF, we ever do any serious renovations on this place, I'd like to replace this sunroom with a stick built room and make it's roof a deck from our guest room upstairs.
@Yadah04 (3025)
what a brilliant idea, having a sunroom.
No, not in our apartment! I've never even lived in a house like that. Looking good.