Storm Damage in Southern California

Photo taken by author.
Laguna Woods, California
Some of you may have heard about the storm damage over the past few days in Southern California. After the heavy rains and high winds, at least ten trees had fallen down within a few blocks of our home. I took a photo of the tree above, which was on the edge of our golf course. Fortunately, none of the trees in our neighborhood fell on a home. In other areas, a number of homes and cars were damaged by the Southern California storm. A large tree branch fell into a parking spot near our house where I sometimes park my car. I'm so glad it wasn't sitting there the night of the storm! I hope all of you are getting safely through this winter without any damage to your home, cars or neighborhood.
What a shame that those trees are not planted more deeply, look at those roots planted not even one foot deep! What a shame.
• Laguna Woods, California
@LadyDuck - These types of trees have very shallow roots. Eucalyptus trees fall over very easily in high winds. We have also had problems with pine trees falling over. It is scary.
@DeborahDiane We had many eucalyptus trees in the gardens in Monte-Carlo. Here there are many pine trees, they look pretty solid because I have never seen one fall and we can have very strong winds both in winter and summer.
• Laguna Woods, California
@LadyDuck - Your pine trees must grow deeper roots than ours do. I wonder if we over-water them, which makes the roots shallow. Whatever is the problem, I have seen several fall over!
@ilocosboy (31861)
Lots of damage caused by typhoon, its good you are in better situation now.
• Laguna Woods, California
Yes, everything should be much better now.
@ilocosboy (31861)
@DeborahDiane I watch it in CNN and it's really frightening, be safe there
• Laguna Woods, California
@ilocosboy - Things have calmed down a lot here. Thank you for wishing us safety. I think we will be OK now ... I hope!
@PatZAnthony (11730)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
We have witnessed damaged in North Carolina that really caused major issues. Roads blocked, houses crushed, people and animals harmed. Just not a fun thing.
• Laguna Woods, California
@PatZAnthony - We have had some pretty powerful storms across the U.S. this year, and we haven't even gotten into tornado and hurricane season!
@PatZAnthony (11730)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
@DeborahDiane We are not looking forward the storm season. The huge, old trees here are tough, but we are always concerned.
• Laguna Woods, California
@PatZAnthony - Yes, whenever there are storms, we never know what could happen!
We saw a video clip of a truck that suddenly disappeared as the road slid away from under it. I'm glad the damage wasn't worse.
• Laguna Woods, California
@JudyEv - Yes, the fire truck going over the edge was here in Southern California. It fell about 20 feet and it was totally ruined. It was quite a shock. Fortunately, the firemen got out in time.
@DeborahDiane I hadn't realised it was a fire truck. I'm glad the men got out safely.
• Laguna Woods, California
@JudyEv - It was shocking to see that fire truck fall over the edge of the road. So scary. I was also glad that the men got out safely.
@syeow1 (4876)
Oh .Are you OK..
• Laguna Woods, California
@syeow1 - Yes, my family and I are fine. I heard that a teenage girl was struck by a falling tree and she is in the hospital, though.
@syeow1 (4876)
@DeborahDiane oh no.may god bless her..
• Pleasant Hill, California
I've been safe, but I live on the flats.
• Laguna Woods, California
@TheHorse - I feel sorry for the people in the Midwest and Texas right now. The flooding is pretty awful.
I heard all about that nasty weather. Thank goodness those heavy trees fell on anyone's home. That frightens me so much. Our house is surrounded by huge trees, even though we had most of them removed. Great, but sad, photo.
• Laguna Woods, California
@DianneN - Yes, I was relieved that no one was hurt by any of the trees that fell in our area. We were lucky!
@garymarsh6 (12100)
It is sad to see trees uprooted like that!
• Laguna Woods, California
@garymarsh6 - I agree. I was sad to see so many trees uprooted!
I'm glad you were safe from the storm.
• Laguna Woods, California
@just4him - At least the storm was short-lived ... just about 12 hours long.
I am also in SoCal. There were a few of sinkholes. Not so much mudslides as anticipated.
• Laguna Woods, California
@JohnRoberts - Those sinkholes were pretty amazing, but I'm glad there were no mudslides. My husband and I had breakfast in Laguna Beach this morning. They have had bad mudslides in the past, but things looked fine this morning.
• Riga, Latvia
No problems here. I am glad you have made it safely through the storms. I feel sorry for that tree and wonder if it could be saved. i always worry about nature. Hope the storms are now in the past.
• Laguna Woods, California
@RasmaSandra - That was the worst storm we have had in over ten years. I don't think we will have another one this winter.
@hereandthere (23031)
i know we have several mylotters in california like you and hope you all stay safe
• Laguna Woods, California
@hereandthere - Today, they are getting another big storm in Northern California, but everything seems fine here in Southern California.
Hope it calms down, that's a pretty big tree it knocked down there.
• Laguna Woods, California
@TRBRocks420 - I don't think we will have another storm that bad this year. That was the worst one in 10 years.
Wow that is really lucky there was no trees fallen on any homes. Luckily as well your car was not parked there during this storm.
• Laguna Woods, California
@shaggin - We were very fortunate that no one was hurt in the storm.
@stbrians (11838)
• Kakamega, Kenya
If such a tree falls on your house the damages will be ectreme
• Laguna Woods, California
@stbrians - Yes, if that tree had fallen on a house or car, it would have done a lot of damage. We were very lucky in our neighborhood.