According to a reliable source a madman has entrenched in the White House. The police says that they will hardly be able to extract him before 4 years, but they keep a hope to control the situation.

@topffer (31209)
France
What is a reliable source ? I spend a lot of time to collect information for my job. First, quoting something indirectly from another source may be a source of errors, and I have learned to never quote an article that I have not read. Second, I have to filter the information : if 1 source tells me that a particular shape of pottery was found in a 20 BC archeological context, and 10 others that it is from 80 AD, I will consider the 20 BC dating like highly dubious. When it comes to news, it should work the same. Direct testimonies are always better than second hand sources, and when they agree on something, they are probably not fake news. Swedes are still investigating to know what happened in their country last Friday according to Donald Trump. Seriously speaking, Sweden is often the target of misinformation campaigns in relation with its generous immigration policy concerning refugees, and takes them seriously. For those who do not know, the only Islamist attack that happened in Sweden was in 2010 from a Swede with Iraqi origins and the attack killed only the attacker. The White House said that Trump's comment was about "rising crime." Here again, for those who do not know, crime in Sweden is decreasing every year since 2005. I give you a link to Wikipedia. The number of homicides / 100 000 inhabitants in Sweden is 2 times lower than in UK and quite 6 times lower than in the USA. How do you deal with news ? Do you control them or do you think that everything you read on a newspaper or on Facebook is true... or fake ?
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jump to: navigation, search Crime in Sweden describes an act defined in the Swedish Penal Code (Swedish: Brottsbalken) or in another Swedish law or statutory instrument for which a sanction is prescribed.[1][2] Figures
At the moment I have trouble believing anything I read - unless it's on myLot.
@topffer (31209)
• France
myLot is a very serious source of information, the proof is that Trump has not yet said that it was propagating fake news.
• Olney, Illinois
When I read the news yesterday I thought it was a joke or one of the usual "fake rumors", then I discovered that it was a "fake news", but the source is the madman you mention here. Sweden is one of the safest countries where to go.
@topffer (31209)
• France
Nice people, but the country is a bit cold for me, even in summer. Their embassy in Washington has tweeted that they "look forward to informing the US administration about Swedish immigration and integration policies." They really need to be schooled.
@topffer I agree, the country is too cold for me too, even Switzerland in winter is a bit too cold, but I can survive here.
@msiduri (5780)
Just about everything with a grain of salt. There are highly partisan sources. I don't pay any attention to those. Even if what they report is factually correct, the partisan spin and emphasis on it so skews the importance of it the sources are a waste of time. Multiple sources that report that same facts and avoid coloring the facts with opinion are nice. Sources that can separate factual reporting, analysis, and opinion are also good. If I want news, I don't care what how the reports feels about a particular event. And I'd like all relevant information included. If I want analysis, I'd like an experienced reporter, with some expertise in the subject, to put certain events in perspective without coloring the analysis with their own political or philosophical views. If I want opinion, I'd like a sober weighing of ideas, not a partisan call to action. Just my own humble opinion and ray of sunshine. BTW, when will comics be funny again?
@topffer (31209)
• France
I agree with your response, except maybe for analysis. If it is about science, an experienced reporter is alright, but if it is a political topic I like to read 2 newspapers with different policy orientation before making an opinion. Funny comics ? The main problem with comics is their number. 30 years ago in a country like mine you had about 100 people making a living from comics and about 700 albums/year, including new editions of old comics. Today there are 2000 authors, 6000 albums/year and 350 publishers. It is not easy to detect the good ones, and 80% of comics authors are living at minimum wages...
@msiduri (5780)
@topffer I meant the comics in the papers.
I certainly learned something recently. After this election, I now understand why so many people from other countries think that Americans are stupid! I guess they were more reliable as sources than I had previously given them credit for being.
@topffer (31209)
• France
People from other countries know how to recognize a human being from a Trumpanzee. We will also probably have a populist candidate reaching the second tour of our presidential election this year with the same xenophobic/islamophobic speech than Trump. She seems a bit smarter, but it would lead to the same disaster.
@topffer I just can't understand how people can listen to him and think that he has any qualities that would make him a good leader. He acts like a two-year old throwing a temper tantrum most days, and he clearly does not understand how the US system works. He cannot even get his own party to vote with him on many things, which is why he needs to make so many Executive Orders. He has the majority, so you would think that he could get these things through without a problem if they made any sense.
@topffer (31209)
• France
@purplealabaster He made a big error when he bullied a judge and tried to influence the justice. After that he has all the judges against him forever. His party is more or less following him. I am afraid that they are ready to vote a lot of laws not good at all for the global environment. Money has no moral.
@josie_ (5848)
Trump is using this fake news like a bogey man to stampede the public into accepting his selective travel ban. It clearly shows how little he respect the intelligence of the ordinary citizen. This is not the act of a madman but one grasping at straws to try to salvage an unpopular executive order that should have found it's way to the garbage bin.
@msiduri (5780)
Sadly, this is sums it up nicely.
@topffer (31209)
• France
The title is about a "reliable source", and the post tries to define what is a reliable source, I have not said that he was a madman. I guess that he is dreaming to see an important terrorist attack in Europe or the USA to support his travel ban, and he takes often his dreams for the reality. I see that you are from the Philippines, do not take it bad, but when a President lies, clowns, and bashes people and countries in the Philippines, all I can tell is "poor Filipinos" and I switch to something else. It is not the same when it comes from the President of the 1st nuclear power.
@josie_ (5848)
@topffer _Trump shouldn't be allowed near the "football", the brief case that contain all the launch codes for a nuclear strike given his unpredictable mental state. Take note I didn't say "mad".
@topffer While a single source may be used it does not mean that only one source was used. As a matter of note you point out multiple sources are best used. Sadly Wikipedia much like other sources are biased and only use what supports their point. It is not any more reliable than any other source. When Writing there are several sources needed. each may have a kernel of truth but not necessarily the whole truth.
@topffer (31209)
• France
Wikipedia does not ban a lot of newspapers like being totally unreliable. There is only one tabloid banned in the UK, the Daily Mail, and one in the USA, the National Enquirer. They are not banned by 1 person, but by a vote of redactors. I have read so many fake news in the Daily Mail about France that I am sure that it is completely unreliable. Besides it is again (nothing really new : they were pro nazi in the 1930's) a xenophobic/racist newspaper, and I was not surprised when they told that Melania Trump was an escort. They retracted after she sued them, asking $150 millions, and I hope that she will win this case. It is indeed less risky to propagate hate news about refugees quite every day. Today the top title is about a "dramatic moment"... with an UFO on the video. I hope that these aliens will not sue the Daily Mail.
• Denmark
We've subscribed to a serious daily newspaper and a weekly newsmagazine. When I read something there, I trust them that the sources have been researched.
@topffer (31209)
• France
It is true that some sources are better than others, and I believe more what I read in the Financial Times than in any UK tabloid. All our "serious" newspapers are politically oriented in France, and I usually read a serious one from both sides before making an opinion about something.
• Olney, Illinois
What gets me is some people will only use a certain type of 'source' to back up their claims. Only those with political leanings that match theirs are considered by them to be 'valid', all others are 'fake news'.
@topffer (31209)
• France
So true. I read today a discussion about migrants in Sweden which was sourcing the Daily Mail, which is the only UK tabloid considered like unreliable by Wikipedia. It is not only xenophobic, it is full of fake news, fake interviews, etc.
@scheng1 (24886)
Everything that Trump says is alternative fact, so just the opposite view, and you will get the real truth.
@topffer (31209)
• France
It is the first time that he points a country for a reason that nobody understands, except maybe a few believers.
@scheng1 (24886)
@topffer He is just showing the world how stupid he really is. If he wants to point out the increase of crime rate in any country, he could have asked the CIA for information, instead of misinterpreting the news.
@topffer (31209)
• France
@scheng1 Every time he says a stupidity, the White House tries to justify it, and you find people believing him. I only hope that there will be no terrorist attack happening in a Western country during 1 or 2 months, or it will be a pretext for him to continue to bully immigrants and refugees.
@Jlyn10 (10481)
I very seldom read political news. Maybe I'll just wait for you to tell me. You're my reliable source.
@topffer (31209)
• France
You are a flatterer today. I was thinking that I should better not read anything about Trump and his politics.
@Jlyn10 (10481)
@topffer Isn't it a good thing ... me flattering you? I think you enjoy that. You better read more because I need to hear from my reliable source.
@syeow1 (4833)
I did not listen news now.
@topffer (31209)
• France
You are not interested by news ?
@syeow1 (4833)
@topffer yes ..Due to media who makes tissue a issue.
I am definitely more skeptical of a lot of things these days - don't always know what to believe. If I were a leader, I would check and double check information before I shot off my mouth . . . and at this point, I simply cannot believe the twisted words that come out of a certain leader's mouth (or tweets ).