A Dessert Worth Sharing

Portland, Connecticut
Last week my husband and I went looking for a new restaurant to have lunch. We drove 23 miles to Wildwood and Polly's Pantry. It is a tearoom in an Americanized British version. The food, however, was very British and I enjoyed the coronation chicken and hubs had the shepherd's pie. We decided to share a dessert, a trifle. It was a marvelous confection of custard, cake and ice cream so not traditional but it was delicious. It was huge and we were very glad we had decided to share. Do you like to share a dessert or do you want one all to yourself?
Wow, that looks absolutely scrumptious! Yes, we share too - some portions are so large.
• Portland, Connecticut
It was way too big for one person and even with two we couldn't quite finish it!! It was lovely.
I think sometimes the portions are large so they can charge half the earth for them.
I'm usually too full to eat a dessert by myself, so take a taste of my hubby's, who claims to have a dessert pocket. Lunch sounds delicious and so does that trifle! However, I'd have that for dinner or a really late lunch and no dinner. Lol!
• Portland, Connecticut
lol My grandson Danny when he was little told me he had a dessert bag that was always empty even when he was too full to eat real food lol
@BelleStarr That is so cute! He must be related to my husband. Better check through Ancestry.com.
Me to I anm to full from the food.
I like my own dessert, because my husband often order something different that he prefers. Our desserts are never too big, so one is not enough to split.
• Portland, Connecticut
We do sometimes order different things but when they have something we might both like we share. I do know that I was told in Europe they know we are Americans because we share food!! lol
@BelleStarr Here in Europe the portions are so small that sometimes I would like to order a second dessert, but the price is not small.
Oh wow! What a delightful dessert to share!! I have to admit that I do not share my dessert. Everyone had better have their own because I will not share. I will share my veggies with others.
• Portland, Connecticut
lol You sound like my husband, as a matter of fact, he will give you all his veggies!!
It depends on how big it is and what it is! I will not share my lemon pie! lol
My fiance and I shared this banana split and even with the two of us eating it we could not finish it.
@Happy2BeMe I'm an ice cream lover and that looks soooo tempting
@Marilynda1225 Oh it was some good ! We enjoyed every bite.
The dessert looks heavenly. I love shepherds pie
• Portland, Connecticut
Yes I like shepherds pie too but I like coronation chicken more. lol
@Asylum (46306)
• Manchester, England
Coronation Chicken is not so commonplace here, although Shepherd's Pie is a very traditional dish. As for trifle, we tend to use cream rather than ice cream, but it should qualify anyway.
• Portland, Connecticut
I find coronation sandwiches mostly everywhere I go in England it is my fav but then we are traveling around and buying prepackaged sandwiches lol
@Asylum (46306)
• Manchester, England
@BelleStarr I cannot remember ever seeing one.
Not only that.We also share our meals.They let us do that.I am not a big eater,Mike is. No way you can take this home and drive 23 miles backlol
• Portland, Connecticut
No it had to be finished at the cafe lol
@BelleStarr then I will have to share it with someone there.
• New Delhi, India
It depends on my mood..lol
• Portland, Connecticut
lol I agree and if we can agree on which one to share lol
• New Delhi, India
@BelleStarr hahah..true
Depends on what it is and the size. Thank God my husband doesn't like dessert (I know, should be a sin, right?). The desserts are always all for me. YAY! The trifle yous shared looks yummy. What were the flavors?
• Portland, Connecticut
There was strawberry and mango or peach and of course custard and chocolate. All good!!
That looks SOOOO nice. I presume the photo is it? Some desserts really are irresistible.
• Portland, Connecticut
It was absolutely delicious, even better than it looks.
I do like my own dessert but have been known to taste someone else's. I've been to Wildwood many times and will have to keep this place in mind for the next trip. Food sounds delicious
• Portland, Connecticut
Wildwood is just 20 or so miles south of us on the way to Mount Dora, it was a nice ride. The restaurant is right on South Main Street.
I love to share a dessert, it always takes that little bit of guilt away and I cannot always finish an entire serving. This looks delicious, I enjoy a little trifle now and again.
• Portland, Connecticut
It was surprisingly light too, I loved it and would go back just to have that.
OH look at that. It seems so delicious. Is that pink one at the bottom ice cream flavored -Strawberry? That's my favorite flavor of icecream. No, I don't share dessert because I surely can finish one as big as that.
• Portland, Connecticut
No the ice cream is under the whipped cream and is vanilla, that was a fruit flavored gelatin that is whipped I believe.
@BelleStarr Oh I see.
@averygirl72 (11778)
The dessert sounds fabulous. We love sharing desserts with one another when we eat outside
• Portland, Connecticut
SOmetimes we do get two different ones and just share half with each other, it is all good. lol
@averygirl72 (11778)
@BelleStarr We do that too so we can both taste two different flavors
Not fair that you show it to us and we cannot even touch it
• Portland, Connecticut
You are right of course but at least you can dream!! lol
@BelleStarr Wait till I show case mine and you too will dream
I never eat desserts in a restaurant. I am to full from the meal I ate.
• Portland, Connecticut
I often ask what they have for dessert and if it sounds good, I have a light meal or just an appetizer.
I never order dessert, although I've wanted to often. That's why going out on your birthday is fun because so many places give a free dessert.
• Portland, Connecticut
lol I am more likely to order soup and then have dessert if a restaurant has great desserts, I love my sweets.
@sallypup (19254)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Whoa on that mammoth dessert.
• Portland, Connecticut
It really was a great dessert and yes, mammoth.
@sueznewz2 (8899)
• Alicante, Spain
If I have one.. I'd rather have my own.. but will happilyshare it and let folks have a taste but sometimes the portions can be too big for one person.
• Portland, Connecticut
This really was way to big for one person and even the two of us had a hard time finishing it.