1/5 Discussion/Response ratio

I don't consciously do it, but I keep a pretty good balance between discussions I start and discussions I respond to. One of my personal peeves here is looking at a profile and seeing they have started 127 discussions and responded to 4, to use an example. Over the past 412 days, I have responded to an average of 15 discussions per day and started an average of 3 per day (possibly 3.4 if you count discussions I have had deleted or deleted myself). I like to think I 'give' more than I 'take' here. One thing I don't do though is respond to a discussion started by someone else just because they responded to one of mine. I see that occasionally...I get a response from someone that I normally don't see in one of my discussions immediately after responding to one of theirs. While I guess they are being polite, I am of the opinion a discussion needs to stand out on its own merits...that is part of the reasoning I have behind not 'following' anyone. I give equal attention to a discussion posted by anyone here. I don't look and see what the people I 'follow' have posted and concentrate mostly on that list. This means everyone has an equal chance of getting a response from me - provided you have started a discussion that I feel interested in. Of course, to be fair - I know one user with 383 discussions and 17758 responses, which puts my ratio to shame...theirs is like 1/46. And over a ten year + period. But I don't know what I am really trying to say...maybe just that myLot isn't about me...or you...but about me and you. Yeah...I think that's it.
@owlwings (40042)
• Cambridge, England
Me + You = US (Universal Sociability) From time to time, I have noticed that responding to a discussion will prompt a return response to one of mine. I don't know that this is purely out of 'politeness'. I like to think that, often, we only discover people of like mind ('friends', if you like) when we happen to notice them because they have responded to a discussion in which we have been involved in some way. I sometimes find myself saying: "That was a good response! I wonder what else this person has written?" and then find that one or two of their discussions may spark my interest and so I respond when I feel that there is something I can add. That is very much the way it works aroubd here.
So says Mr 1/46
• Greece
I do respond to people who respond to me, out of politeness probably but also because they sound like- minded with shared interests. It is difficult to join in a discussion if it is a subject we have no knowledge of or little interest in.
I am the same way, Owl. In fact, the person might not be responding to one of my discussions but rather a discussion where I am participating, and the interactions might spark my interest and prompt me to check out their discussions.
I surely give A LOT more than I take, I do not even need to look at my profile.
@LoriAMoore I do not even calculate my ratio, I have written very few discussions.
• Bangladesh
@LadyDuck I also
@Morleyhunt (19299)
Now I'm curious...the next stop will be a look at the numbers.
There are a few (not a whole lot thankfully) that I refuse to respond to because they simply make myLot all about them and no one else.
@Morleyhunt (19299)
@JolietJake you mean it's not all about me? I thought I was the centre of the universe and everything revolved around me. Now you've spoiled my entire day.
@Morleyhunt That did me in too!
@rina110383 (24064)
I hope people with 15,370 responses, 5536 comments, and 0 discussion is not one of your pet peeves. I believe so after you've unblocked them. Took me a while to check your discussions. Probably, I don't want to be blocked by you again. Hence, I kept a distance. Honestly, one of the reasons why I stopped posting discussions and deleted everything in April 2016 is because of the feeling that one is obliged to respond to a discussion of another member just because they responded to mine. Now, I just respond when I'm not lazy and busy. Feels better.
Actually, people like you (and a few others) are who I can point to when people say 'starting discussions is the only/best way to earn here'. Kinda makes them shut up.
@dpk262006 (56599)
I have responded in more discussions rather than starting my own. I love to respond to those discussions which could termed as interesting and I could say something about the topic.
This place would get boring very quickly if everyone was more interested in what they themselves have to say than in seeing what everyone else says.
@dpk262006 (56599)
I agree with you that if no one is interested what others have to say, the place may get boring. I feel we have to respond to discussions of others so that they could feel that there are good mylotters who come for their support, listen to them and advice them, as the case may be. I also feel that whenever and wherever needed one should not hesitate to post comments, counter-comments and sub comments so as to enliven interaction. I would also like to mention that you always start thought provoking, informative and interesting discussions and it is a great pleasure to be part of your discussions.
I know I keep a good balance because my notifications show I am equally behind on everything . I have no rhyme or rhythm here . . . I just "do". If you know me and I know you, we just catch each other when we do.
@TheSojourner (17290)
I think mine is 1/4, if I figured it out correctly.
That looks right
@JolietJake thanks! That high math gets me every time! It's too cold to take off my shoes so I have my toes to count
@CoralLevang You could take off yer blouse 'n bra and get to 22
@Morleyhunt (19299)
So now we are trying to figure out which numbers you are using.....comments....responses....or the two together?
I am not using 'comments' at all, I am using discussions started and discussions responded to. 'Comments' can occur in discussions you started and in discussions started by other people so it can't be used as a reference.
@Morleyhunt (19299)
@JolietJake we figured it out....mystery solved.
@slayer08 (2361)
I have to agree with JJ. But I'm also guilty when it comes to responding to posts - Sometimes, due to my busy schedule, I find it difficult to log in to mylot and see what's going on.
My schedule is such that quite often it leaves me with more 'myLot time' than I know what to do with
@slayer08 (2361)
@JolietJake I wish I have that schedule :) so I can spend more time here instead of doing something "important"
@ptrikha_2 (11134)
Its good to see you taking so keen interest in the statistics. I will check what are mine statistics.
@ptrikha_2 (11134)
My Discussion to Response ratio is 1/12.85(155 discussions to 1992 responses). So there is one more useful information- I have to have 8 more responses to reach 2000 figure.
@Jackalyn (7391)
• Oxford, England
Probably. I just don't have the energy just now to worry what others do. I must say I tend to respond more to people I feel I know a bit. Just now I am too tired to care so just kind of flip flopping about answering what appeals. That reminds me. Scar's paw?
He's back to 100%, once again King Of The World
• Bangladesh
Great thinking. I also try to maintain this ratio. I suggest more discussionss than post.
And now I don't feel special, because you do not pay any more attention to my discussions than any other person off the street.
That's cuz ya never here n'more
@JolietJake I is here now, so watcha gonna do ter make me feel special?
@purplealabaster *takes a breathe* *starts licking more*
@jhechorain (1227)
• Susanville, California
I don't have much of a set way of doing any thing here any more. It's hard to find things to read without the categories to troll. I rely on people I follow for interesting reading material since I don't know how to find them on my own now.
I just use 'explore' and choose 'most recent discussions'. You can use 'search' and enter tag words to search for certain discussions.
• Susanville, California
That might be something I will try today for something different
@besweet (7223)
• Greece
I like to think of mylot as a community. We are all part of it and we participate for the common good. I follow some people because I like their posts and I want to have quick access to them when they have something new to share. But my favorite part is the interesting discussions and the new ones! I haven't checked my discussion/comment analogy but I prefer to comment in general.
I am solidly a 'Most Recent Discussions' kind of guy, I have enough free time to scroll through the list fairly often which keeps me in contact with every discussion posted by everyone.
@besweet (7223)
• Greece
@JolietJake So you know what's going on at all times! I would like to be like that but I am losing track of the new discussions on weekdays.
@pammooratan (4676)
Mostly I respond but when any good idea struck in my mind I always post them recently.
I get real mouthy some days and end up posting several discussions, but I try to keep a slight rein on it.
@JolietJake You may post if.suddenly any idea come to your mind.
@EddieHands (37791)
I really like replying to wonderful things on here! I am getting hungry. How are you ? meow
I'm jamming, picked up several used albums at a shop today
well sometimes, if I have a really good response from someone I dont know, I will follow their link back and read a few things and comment, to determine if they'd be a good addition, I keep a tidy follow list, and every so often add a few good ones
@ptrikha_2 (11134)
@Jessicalynnt This is a nice way to catch up. And commenting back and forth is at times something that kicks up our interest and pumps us up.
@ptrikha_2 (11134)
I was not active on Mylot after May 2013- roughly the time it went non-paying. I slowly came back to be more active in late 2015, and some time in 2016. I did not follow any strategy. Or thinking. However, now when my 2017 sojourn started here, I have been inspired by this discussion, another one on experiment with more responses and almost Nil new discussions and a few more. So, I am slowly beginning to be more active again, though its far from my peak of 2007 and 2008.
@avi256 (4531)
• Pune, India
Even though I feel responding is very important for healthy interaction, I also feel starting a discussion is the base for that. You need to have a topic to start with discussion. Hence starting a discussion too is crucial for interaction.