The Story In The Song Men At Work Down Under

Preston, England
1980 A novelty song that started out as a B-Side and became virtually an unofficial national anthem for Australia. The song, and video depict a group of travellers meeting people who are in awe at their national origin / status and do favours for them. Worn out from drug use (zombie) on the Asian hippy trail in a clapped out van, the narrator is given breakfast by a mysterious woman who tells him she is impressed by claims that Australia has beautiful women and men who chunder a lot (vomit all the time). Later in another location, Brussels, a muscular hotelier proves to be a fellow countryman and gives him an Australian Vegimite (Marmite) sandwich before his nationality finally seems to save him from torture by some kind of gangsters in Bombay. The band are then seen running through a desert, goofing around like the Monkees, kangaroo hopping and running with a big packing crate and a koala bear on a dog leash. Deeply silly record with an irritating patriotic fever to it but nevertheless a fun earworm of a song. The video on Youtube Arthur Chappell
Men At Work's official music video for 'Down Under'. Click to listen to Men At Work on Spotify: http://smarturl.it/MenAtWorkSpotify?IQid=MenAWDU As featured ...
It's strange where this song turns up. It's always part of the playlist for big firework displays.
This was a hit for Men at Work even here in the US.
It's a silly video, but I like the song, the tune is pleasant and catchy.
@Freelanzer (8287)
Loved that song but didn't get some of the lyrics
@KrauseHome (34983)
Quite an interesting song with a Catchy tune.
Men at Work were great. "Overkill" is my favorite.
@FourWalls (12921)
Yes, the song that had everyone in America wondering what vegemite was....then wishing they hadn't found out.
@DWDavis (10774)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I remember this song well. I must admit that I never paid much attention to the words, which is out-of-character for me.
@mythociate (14989)
• Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
reminds me of 'how Proud I Am to Be an "Okie (from Muskogee)"'
Merle and Willie - Okie from Muskogee 2009 live
@Fleura (7113)
This song puzzled me for years even though I couldn't stop singing along to it!