Ten Country Songs That Make Me Cringe: God Bless the USA (#9)

@FourWalls (15778)
After properly taking to task those "critically-acclaimed" (read overplayed) classic rock songs and the big hit pop songs that make me need to go face-first into the toilet, I'm not exempting my favorite genre of music from the microscope. Here's the next song on my list of least favorite country songs. #9: God Bless the USA - Lee Greenwood And here's the conversation: "Hey! You can't hate this song!!" "Why not?" "Why not?? 'Cause....'cause 'MERICA!!" And that's part of what I don't like about this song. Patriotic manipulation 101: say you don't like this song, and all of the sudden you're the total antithesis of the "good girl" in the opening verse of Tom Petty's "Free Fallin'." Nah. Lee Greenwood is no Irving Berlin (who wrote the infinitely better "God Bless America")...he's no Kate Smith, either, for that matter. There have been lots of patriotic country songs (my personal favorite: "There's a Star-Spangled Banner Waving Somewhere" by Elton Britt, released in the immediate aftermath of the attack on Pearl Harbor, and the song with the distinction of receiving country music's first "gold record" award) that weren't so in-your-face "love this or you're a commie pig" manipulative. (Oh, and Lee? What's this "I won't forget the men who died"? Don't you know there are eight women memorialized on The Wall?) I love my country. I served my country. (I still stop and salute when I see someone raising or lowering the flag...some habits you just can't break.) But that doesn't mean everyone has to kowtow because someone throws mama, the flag, apple pie, and 'Merica!!!!! in a song. If it's bad, say so. And this song is bad. God Bless the USA Written by Lee Greenwood Recorded by Lee Greenwood From You've Got a Good Love Comin', 1984 (yeah, that's a patriot album title) I don't post the bad song, I post an alternative. So.....Ladies and gentlemen, Kate Smith.
"This is the original FIRST broadcast radio performance of God Bless America by Irving Berlin as introduced by Kate Smith on November 10, 1938. She later rec...
The booming vocals of Kate Smith. The woman didn't need a mike. I am surprised this song hasn't been banned for being politically incorrect.
@FourWalls (15778)
Remember that bit in Good Morning Vietnam where Robin Williams said Kate was being used to jam Soviet radar?
• Denver, Colorado
Instead of the National Anthem, the Philadelphia Flyers play Kate Smith before games. What a voice!
• Denver, Colorado
I hate getting the "you don't love your country" card thrown at me because I hate this song, usually from someone who never so much as talked to a recruiter. They play this when you sign up. They play it when you arrive at MEPS. When you leave for basic. When you arrive at basic. During basic. When you graduate basic. During Desert Storm, Armed Forces Radio played it every hour. It's a terrible, sappy song, and I really don't need some yahoo that never had the guts to raise their right hand to tell me I'm not Patriotic just because I don't like it. I choose to love my country in my own way. And that does not involve pretending to like a cliche ridden, sub par song. Excellent choice. Go USA!
• Denver, Colorado
This, on the other hand, is a real Patriotic song. It's British, but is much more heartfelt and real, and I can even identify with it as an American.
Tell all the people who believe what they read in the press Tell all the folk who stare from behind suburban walls The enemy is not some nation far across th...
@FourWalls (15778)
I was in boot camp at the wrong time. We got the Village People's "In the Navy," although thankfully only twice.
• Denver, Colorado
@FourWalls - (Cringes)
I will just say YIKESS!!!!
I am not a country music fan .... So I can take it off the radio fast with a flip of the hand.