Tattoos .... what do you think?

I have a close friend and her granddaughter is celebrating her 18th birthday today. 18 years is quite a milestone and my friends granddaughter is getting her first tattoo. Her mom decided it would be fun to have a mother/daughter day and has consented to her daughter getting her first tattoo. What blew my mind was that she's getting a unicorn on her neck. Maybe I'm just old and not very up on what's happening in the world of tattoos but I would think this is a big mistake for a first tattoo. I would have thought she would have gotten something in a place that could be covered or maybe a little one for starters. This girl hasn't even graduated from high school yet and I'm assuming at some point she'll be job hunting and I wonder what that tattoo will do to her chances. Do bosses even care anymore if people are covered in tattoos? I'm just curious as I know tattoos are very popular now but does this seem sensible to you?
She would have no chances to get a serious job here showing a visible tattoo. I think this is a very bad idea.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Here, all sorts of eccentricities are tolerated, including tattoos. But I don't like them. I find them vulgar.
@ladyduck I didn't think any boss would take her seriously with a visible tattoo on her neck but I might be wrong. I agree it's a bad idea
@TheHorse I find it in bad taste for such a young girl to get a tattoo on her neck which will be visible and I think she's going to be very sorry when she gets a little older. I can't believe her mother is in favor of this
No not for me. I know many that do have them but they are covered while working, Most people in the public like office jobs are frowned on with tats. But I reckon if you work at a bar or night club, or where many others have tats its okay.
This young girl is so pretty and has a bright future ahead and I can't picture her working in a bar or night club. I don't understand how her mother is in such favor of not only the tattoo but where it is. Maybe she'll change her mind once she actually is sitting in the chair at the tattoo place
• Denmark
I don't like tattoos. I'm glad that I won't live anymore when all the tattooed youngsters of today have wrinkled and flabby flesh with faded tattoos.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Yep. Something that was once a lovely pony might be a slug when they're 57. Or something.
@maluse I can't help but laugh cause I think the same thing. All old and wrinkly and those tattoos won't look so fashionable.
@TheHorse I was thinking the same thing or maybe not even so much the aging but what happens when people gain or lose weight?
@hostessman (7878)
• Tucson, Arizona
each to their own, but i myself would never get a tatoo, i have never figured out what they are good for
@pureme (1439)
They are good for nothing, people are just fashion crazy.
@hostessman I don't have any tattoos and never saw the appeal but my children have them but not in places that are visible (my son has two on his back that you can only see if he's at the beach and shirtless).
@pureme don't you wonder what these people are going to do when the tattoo craze is over?
I do not liked it.I But this is the ongoing thing there. Some of them are gross.With women have tatatoo all over their body. They were low hugger so that you can it on her tailbone.this is gross to me. But not surprised.If she does get one or not.Sooner or later when she will be on her own.Watch out.Here comes Body Art.
@LoriAMoore Hate them both too.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@LoriAMoore I agree.
@TheHorse Good for you there
I am with you, but the world has changed. Maybe it no longer matters.
You're right, the world is changing and I'm probably just an old fuddy duddy and thinks this is a bad idea.
@Marilynda1225 I guess that I'm a fuddy duddy too
Most businesses no longer mind tattoos thankfully but I really hate neck tattoos. All mine were able to be covered except now a few years ago I got my kids names on my wrists. I could cover then with watches if I have to. More likely to view me as unemployable by employers would be my scars when I was young and depressed and cut myself.
I am sorry that you went through such a difficult period in your younger years and cut yourself. My granddaughter went through a period of time when she was doing that and with some therapy she is doing better. I have nothing against tattoos in general and I say to each his own. I just think 18 years old is a little young to make such a permanent decision.
I think it's a bad idea too. I was an idiot as a kid and, we gave ourselves jail house tattoos, by snagging indian ink from art class.
@TRBRocks420 What is a jailhouse tattoo? I think I might have heard of this term before but didn't know what they were then nor now.
boys will be boys but I think girls are crazy to cover themselves with all sorts of tattoos
@Marty1 Just tattoo's that are done with a sewing needle, with thread wrapped around it and, dipped in ink. I still can't believe I ever did this.
Can't stand tatoos.
Same here, if my husband had one I would not have married him.
@pureme (1439)
@AbbyGreenhill I can't even behold a man with tattoo not to talk marrying him.
@AbbyGreenhill I don't know if I'd not marry a man with a tattoo but it would depend on what it was and where it was. However, I'd never marry a man who smoked
I personally do not like it and I am not sure if she too would still like that unicorn on her neck say ten years from now.
I think she's going to be sorry in a few years but definitely will look odd when she's my age and sporting a unicorn on her neck
@Marilynda1225 true. They did make a permanent decision withput thinking long term.
I am not a fan of tattoos, especially on 18 year old girls. Nor, am I thrilled with them being so visible. My son's fiancée has beautiful flower tattoos on her back which will be showcased in her bridal gown. I can tolerate them on her.
I'm not against tattoos. My daughter in law has a few and they are tasteful and in places where she can show them if she wants. Actually she has a cute one on her ankle. I hope you'll show us pictures of your daughter in law in her bridal gown (when the time comes)
@Marilynda1225 Of course I will! Her gown is in and being altered. It's so beautiful. I'll try to get a back view, too, tattoos and all. My brother's wife has an ankle tattoo. My husband wouldn't want me to get one, am I'm fine with that.
@dragon54u (31393)
I wanted a ladybug tattoo on my foot when I was young and up until I was about 25. Thank God I could never afford it. I'm so glad I did not do it!! It makes no sense to me to permanently alter your body. Tastes change, interests change, attitudes change. She might be very embarrassed by that unicorn in ten years. And tattoos aren't very attractive when you get old, saggy skin! What's wrong with getting a temporary tattoo? At least she could try it out and see how much she likes it and how people react. That would be more sensible. I don't understand her mom encouraging this behavior. When I was growing up people with tattoos were considered to be "white trash" and I never saw people of color with tattoos. I guess that no matter how society tries to indoctrinate me, that old attitude is just beneath the surface.
It's hard for me to understand what goes through the mind of a young girl who wants to put something so permanent on her skin. What's even more upsetting is her mother being in favor of it
@dragon54u (31393)
@Marilynda1225 I think today's mothers aren't as mature as their moms were at that age. Something has gone horribly wrong with the maternal instinct. I wonder if it has to do with all the GMO food, the hormones in the meats, etc.
@JustBhem (26178)
• Davao, Philippines
Well for me, it's self love. I mean, I have one in my arm and I never regret it. I love myself that is why I want to have one. Since I love arts and I consider having a tattoo as an art for myself.
Good for you!! I'm not against anyone having a tattoo especially that you have no regrets
@JustBhem (26178)
• Davao, Philippines
I'm not a fan of tattoos because I would be concerned of getting tired of it but more importantly the safety. You do risk getting seriously ill with hepatitis. I know that those that have them will say all that they go to a safe place, but you never know. I think that the girl is making a mistake, I hope that she doesn't learn to realize this.
It's hard to tell an 18yr old they are making a mistake but I hope when she sits in the tattoo chair she changes her mind and puts that unicorn somewhere else other than her neck
@Marilynda1225 That is true, but I could tell her mother quite easily!
@alberello75 (14293)
• Genova, Italy
I'm against tattoos! I can even understand those who with time they remove, but I'm definitely not in favor of those indelible. We must not "spoil" our own skin!
@Asylum (48360)
• Manchester, England
Over the years I have seen a few good tattoos that looked quite good on people, but would never have considered one myself.
• Midland, Michigan
I know, you could get a ukulele tattooed on your arm or something, Barry, lol.
@Asylum (48360)
• Manchester, England
@MarshaMusselman Everyone would keep asking me if I know Marsha.
@asylum I never wanted a tattoo but they weren't popular when I was young. The only people who had them were sailors (my grandfather and a few uncles)
Your opinion is very sensible cause there are way too many employers who will NOT under any circumstance allow inking to be noticed on potential hires . . . she may be very sorry for getting that tattoo in such a bad place cause for me, health wise, the jugular vein is NO place for ink to travel consistently through anyway
Yup I think she's crazy for a whole lot of reasons and I can't believe her mother is so in favor of this decision
@Marilynda1225 it seems the mom wants to be the daughters best friend and that can be problematic at any age in a mother-daughter relationship . . .
For me, I find the bodies of young people so beautiful, and I think of a tattoo as destroying that beauty. Also, piercings destroy the beauty too.
Tattoos and piercings seem to be the rage. I always wonder what these youngsters will look like when they are old and in a nursing home.
@Marilynda1225 Wrinkly tattoos and sagging piercings, I suppose. Not attractive at all.
Not a fan and especially on a young person - that tat could pay havoc with her in years to come re: jobs, etc.
Hopefully she'll have a change of heart when it comes to actually getting the tattoo. Maybe she'll stick with the unicorn but have it somewhere else other than her neck
@Marilynda1225 I never could understand why people choose to have dye injected into them.
@tzwrites (4156)
A unicorn on her neck is cheesy in my opinion but I also don't mind what people tattoo on their body. I would never like to have a tattoo myself but others are free to do what they like.
I agree. To each his own but I personally wouldn't