"The Big Book (Alcoholics Anonymous)" by Bill W. - Book Review

@FayeHazel (10881)
I have never had a problem with alcohol. I do not aim to set myself as better than those who have struggled, as I do have my own issues with over eating, over spending, self doubt and worry. But my issues aren't with alcohol. I can easily have none or 1 drink and be happy, not craving more. I hate the drunk feeling. So it's easy for me to avoid. So, you may wonder why I would be interested in book primarily for people who are recovering from addiction from the drink. This is because I have read AA's publication "One Day At A Time" and found it helpful. You can easily replace alcohol with wording for any other topic you may personally struggle with and gain valuable outlooks and advice. I found I enjoy this book more than I thought I would. There is advice for outlook, a description of the steps of the program, and the really interesting personal accounts of addiction. Another interesting fact is that it was written in 1939. AA was new at that time and I think the author states there were about 100 AA members. Other time related issues with this text - God and faith are mentioned a lot. It makes me happy. I think current day many people in the media are too scared to mention God and or faith. I mean no disrespect - I know there are many faiths and schools of thought - belief and etc. However I am generally not offended if someone mentions their faith or outlook - as long as they are not trying to change my mind. One man mentions seeing the Lusitania in his personal account. The Lusitania was a ship that was sunk in WWI . Also in personal accountings the men refer to themselves as a "gay dog", and a "gone coon". These phrases must have had a different meaning than they do now, as now - as now they sound like some kind of slur. (I am sorry if I offended anyone by re-typing them - it was not my intent) One man mentions thinking about the "Fleshpots of Egypt" - another dated term. I don't know the exact meaning - but I would suppose it is a craving of something that is fun but bad for you. And speaking of the men's accountings - it would seem that drinking was thought of as a largely male activity. Women aren't mentioned other than as the sober wives and family of the men. Speak-easy and prohibition are mentioned. So in short - it is an enjoyable read - you can easily apply it's information to many issues even if you don't struggle with the drink. It is enjoyably Spiritual and the personal accountings are interesting reading as tales both of history and addition.
Welcome to Silkworth.net Alcoholics Anonymous . . . experience the history . . . WWW.SILKWORTH.NET. . . lest we forget! Site Map | Silkworth | History | Biographies | Big Book | Search | Contact GO BACK Global A.A. Intergroup    Telephone Numbers A.A. Area
Very interesting. Women started drinking publicly in the speakeasies during prohibition.
@FayeHazel (10881)
Interesting - were women who drink uncommon before then?
@FayeHazel They probably drank at home. Lol!
AA was introduced in India in the fifties. My brother's friend was the one who introduced it. I typed that book for him.
@FayeHazel (10881)
Oh that is awesome to be a part of such an influential and helpful group.
I'm glad you got a lot of useful information from the book and can be related to other issues as well.
@FayeHazel (10881)
It really is a great program - I have found myself wanting to attend a meeting though I'm not sure that's allowed
Glad to hear you enjoyed the book. I have read bits and, pieces through the years and, even went to AA a few times. I never quit until I decided to though.
@FayeHazel (10881)
Congratulations on quitting. I think you are right - when it comes to any significant change it has to be the person themselves who makes the choice. "One Day At A Time in AA" is also a book I've enjoyed
I have no plans to quit drinking, but I have read the book. It's interesting. I also recommend the movie My Name is Bill W with James Woods.
@FayeHazel (10881)
Oh awesome, James Woods is a great actor. I'm going to look for the movie
@PainsOnSlate (19021)
That sounds like an interesting book about addiction and history. I have never heard of it but will look and see if I can find it in the Library.
It sounds like an interesting book.