Finally, I ate one

Doesn't Ally look happy? She is such a sweetie.
El Paso, Texas
On wednesday I went shopping all over the place with a friend. We were on the road early so we stopped for breakfast, I was not impressed. I had a chili relleno burrito but the cook, or whoever prepares the chilies, didn't remove the seeds, YUCKKKK. I didn't finish the stupid thing and didn't have to pay for it. After that we went to Costco and I got some of my necessities. By that time I was ready for lunch. We chose the Lunch Box Mexican restaurant and for the first time I had a combo plate that included a gordita. I was asked if I wanted flour or corn gorditas, I chose corn. The gordita was fill with chicken and it was ok but honestly I don't think I'll ever eat another one. I'm not disappointed though, at least this one wasn't as greasy as some of those I've seen people eat. Would I recommend them? Well, if you like things like tacos then you might like them but I wouldn't recommend you get any at Taco Bell, those never look appetizing That combo plate had an enchilada , flauta , beans and rice as well along with the gordita. Well, since it will be my friends birthday pretty soon I picked up the tab. Next time I'm getting their chili rellenos How many good Mexican restaurants are in your city? Have you ever had chili relleno? What about gorditas? You do like Mexican food, don't you?
@Asylum (46834)
• Manchester, England
I was relieved to read that it was a burrito that you ate. Reading the title and seeing the photograph above put the wrong thought in my mind.
Ahhhh, yes, I can see how you would have thought I ate a hotdog.
@Asylum (46834)
• Manchester, England
@rebelann Oh, so now you realise you were naughty and wish to deny it.
Me?? Naughty?? Nay I say!! @Asylum
@rebelann I had dinner at Taco Bell Friday evening. It was delicious but not filling. My sister and I were hungry after we went to Wal-Mart after the dinner.
Did you have the gorditas?
@rebelann I am sorry, but I don't think they even had Gorditas. We hadn't been there in ten years, so we looked at the menu, but don't think that they had them. I got a regular soft taco. Not too daring but I didn't want something that was too spicy something I didn't know what it would taste good. Then there is the fact of indigestion which I had after that later on that night, Not really bad, but enough that I noticed it. I think it is the areas w live. You probably have more Mexican good options as you are in Texas. My area is more into piergori's and halushki's Two very popular types of food before!
I avoid Taco Bell like the plague @Marty1 no one I know eats there anymore unless it is their bean burrito which I personally do not like. Well, now I have two new things to look up, I've never heard of piergori or halushki. Maybe I'll find a recipe so that I can try to make those at home. Thanks for the new ideas
Zero Mexican restaurants in all our region. I have eaten chiles relleƱos several times in the United States. The best I ate in a restaurant in Santa Fe.
I've never been to Santa Fe but I do prefer Si Senors in Las Cruces NM.
@rebelann I cannot remember if we stopped in Las Cruces.
Did you travel on interstate 25 @LadyDuck ? That would have been the only way to get from Santa Fe to Las Cruces. Did you get to visit White Sands National Monument? If so you were very close to it.
• Midland, Michigan
We have a few Mexican sit-down restaurants, but I've only had taco bell nothing else. We used to have a chi chi's but that's been gone for several years already. I don't go out to those types of restaurants at present, it's not in our budget. I like most of the food at taco bell, but I generally eat the burritos. Tostatos are good too though. I've never heard of a relleno.
The chili relleno is made of a long green chili, they're supposed to remove all the seeds before they slap it around in the batter.
• Midland, Michigan
@rebelann Ah, is it a hot chili? I know certain ones are hotter than other ones and I'm familiar with what anaheim, cubanella, serano, pablano and of course jalopeno ones look like but we don't sell simple chili peppers so I'm not sure about them. I don't eat any of them, I just know what they are sort of to sell them to customers. I know that some have more heat than others and that the seeds make them hot, but I can see eating the seeds wouldn't be fun.
Mostly they use the Poblano chilis @MarshaMusselman no two chilies have the same heat index.
@Shellyann36 (8619)
We have two good Mexican restaurants in our city. One is named Oxacana and the other is Mi Casita. The Oxacana started out as a small shop in a small mobile home with only outside picnic tables. They have grown so popular that they now also rent a storefront shop with inside seating. Hubby loves this place. I prefer Mi Casita's myself.
We don't have either one of those here. In fact the odd name for the restaurant I was at is The LunchBox.
@rebelann Sounds like a neat name for a restaurant but not what one would expect for a Mexican restaurant. I like eating out at Mi Casita but we normally get take-out instead of eating in. The last time we ate there it was very expensive. We have toned down on eating out and it has been a while since I have been there. I have been looking up lots of Mexican recipes and trying my hand at them. We also have a local store that caters to Hispanics and I can get so many things there that Walmart and Food Lion does not have. I have found that we really like jamaica.
What kind of food does Jamaica generally have @Shellyann36 I don't think I've ever seen Jamaican food around here.
The last time I had Mexican food was last April in North Carolina. I think I've had it all at one time or another. I do enjoy Mexican food when I have it.
I only like it in quality restaurants, I steer clear of those fast food places.
@rebelann Me, too.
@velvet53 (15379)
• Palisade, Colorado
I love Mexican food. I like gorditas but chili relleno's are my favorite. I have shad some really good ones and then there are places that I won't even go back to as the food was terrible.
Yeah, I love those rellenos too. I've had some that were really good and others that are really bad.
@Morleyhunt (15947)
We have a small Mexican restaurant in the downtown area. Amigos. I've eaten there several times. The food is good and the portions are generous.
I just looked up that restaurant's lunch menu, it's a wee bit different from what most restaurants serve for lunch here. Most Mexican restaurants here have the choice of either burritos or a plate. I always get a plate, the portions are huge and always include both refried beans, rice and a small salad. I've noticed that Mexican cuisine varies between regions with few exceptions.
All those names are Greek to me. No. We do not have a Mexican restaurant
I know how you feel, when I read about Indian foods it's all Greek to me too.
@ilocosboy (32143)
Seems like I've never had that
I've heard they are better home made but the one I tried the other day wasn't too bad but next time I'm having chili relleno.
@rina110383 (21957)
I like eating Mexican food. We only have few restaurants that sell authentic Mexican dishes.
Have you tried chili rellenos?
I do eat Mexican food but I have not went out for it in a while, I cook my own at home.
Ohhh, homemade is always 100% better than a restaurant especially when it comes to Mexican food.